Vinyl Me Please Essentials

My stance is that if you can't do a ROTM because of controversy/controversial lyrics you're going to have a really bad time. A large chunk of hip hop right off the bat you're disqualifying. Look at MF Doom and check out the song Batty Boyz. Yeah, he clarified that it was a joke, but that whole song could offend a whole lot of people...yet he was ROTM.

The issue isn’t that, it’s that they’re a bunch of fucking hypocrites that try to appear woke by distancing themselves from certain artists to then go and pick creepy guy at al.

The issue isn’t that, it’s that they’re a bunch of fucking hypocrites that try to appear woke by distancing themselves from certain artists to then go and pick creepy guy at al.
Fair enough, I'm just saying that if you're going to go down this path (this is mainly directed at VMP) you're excluding a whole world of music...where do you draw the line? Someone used M.I.A. as an example for (if I understand correctly), anti-vaxxer sentiments. By that standard, you exclude Nas' entire catalog because of one song he made on the Kanye produced album with anti-vaxxer lyrics. Should we cancel his entire catalog? Nah, that shit is dope

Fair enough, I'm just saying that if you're going to go down this path (this is mainly directed at VMP) you're excluding a whole world of music...where do you draw the line? Someone used M.I.A. as an example for (if I understand correctly), anti-vaxxer sentiments. By that standard, you exclude Nas' entire catalog because of one song he made on the Kanye produced album with anti-vaxxer lyrics. Should we cancel his entire catalog? Nah, that shit is dope

I mean there have to be lines, I’d shit all over someone picking MJ or Ryan Adams or, god forbid, Gary Glitter. I’d also, personally want to distance myself from the more misogynistic and homophobic elements in RHH particularly when it surfaces in the lyrics. But yeah anti-vaxers are weird, and it a dangerous mindset, but it’s not cancel worthy.

Mmmmmmmm exactly! Like, can VMP just do a NaS exclusive already! I want a great sounding pressing of Illmatic or It Was Written! 😩🙋‍♂️

I mean there have to be lines, I’d shit all over someone picking MJ or Ryan Adams or, god forbid, Gary Glitter. I’d also, personally want to distance myself from the more misogynistic and homophobic elements in RHH particularly when it surfaces in the lyrics. But yeah anti-vaxers are weird, and it a dangerous mindset, but it’s not cancel worthy.

What about James Brown, John Lennon, Dre, anything Spector produced. The Stones were absolute animals back in the day.

As much of an absolute dickhead as he turned out to be I always found it ironic when I'd see people sitting there throwing shit at Adams with their Beatles t shirts on and their John Lennon mugs on full display.

What about James Brown, John Lennon, Dre, anything Spector produced. The Stones were absolute animals back in the day.

As much of an absolute dickhead as he turned out to be I always found it ironic when I'd see people sitting there throwing shit at Adams with their Beatles t shirts on and their John Lennon mugs on full display.

I’m not saying don’t buy it or don’t listen to it, that’s a personal decision for each of us to make. What id say is that it’s too recent and it’s too raw for the victims for it to be a viable call to pick as curation or to be pushing as recommendation. MJ and Glitter? Predatory peadophiles can fuck right off. Also if storf hadn’t gone around in the old place saying “I wouldn’t pick x because” and then picking problematic artist y, largely because he liked one and not the other, this would be a much less loaded argument.

Last edited:
I’m not saying don’t buy it or don’t listen to it, that’s a personal decision for each of us to make. What id say is that it’s too recent and it’s too raw for the victims for it to be a viable call to pick as curation or to be pushing as recommendation. MJ and Glitter? Predatory peadophiles can fuck right off.

I think it's an interesting distinction though. I haven't listened to Off The Wall for years and years but I listened to Heartbreaker a few weeks back (and still hugely enjoy it despite knowing what a wanker Adams is) . Equally despite it being pretty obvious what Bill Wyman was up to with Mandy Smith (and Mick changing the age on the live version of stray cats blues) I still hammer my Stones albums guiltlessly.

Hmmmm

You know what I really want VMP to release (probs too 'small' for an essential), M.I.A. ‎– Arular. That album slaps but even the UK pressings for sale on discogs all seem to be in Europe, I cant find an affordable copy here anywhere.

It's probably impossible to license, but the "Piracy Funds Terrorism" mixtape MIA released before her first album is her best work IMO and has never been officially pressed on vinyl. It would be an amazing Essentials pick. It also takes me back to the Hollertronix days when Diplo was actually cool. :)

There isnt a single song on that run of three albums that isnt absolutely class. Was listening to Tellin Stories a few days back and it's still got it. Big style. The self titled will probably always be my fave though

See they're releasing live it like you love it tomorrow?
Have either of you heard the Charlatans RSD release with Chemical Brothers? Only 500 available, but its my MUST HAVE for next weekend.

It's probably impossible to license, but the "Piracy Funds Terrorism" mixtape MIA released before her first album is her best work IMO and has never been officially pressed on vinyl. It would be an amazing Essentials pick. It also takes me back to the Hollertronix days when Diplo was actually cool. :)
Omg, I love “Piracy Funds Terrorism” so much! I used to always listen to it! The track “MIA/Curry Ranks” with the Snoop ‘Drop It Like It’s Hot’ sample is amazing! It’s the coolest thing ever! And when M.I.A. does “Amazon” over Ciara’s ‘Goodies’! She just absolutely slays! It’s everything! I just love all the tracks she samples and how original that mixtape is!

I think it’s my favourite mixtape of all time! It’s the most innovative, fresh, original kinda mixtape I’ve ever heard! If a vinyl pressing of Piracy Funds Terrorism happened, I would be so happy! It would be such a fun record to spin!

I think I've missed something here that someone can shed some light on.

Mayer is mentioned as creepy and a bad choice. I wasn't aware of the guy until his vmp rotm and wasn't aware he committed sexual assault until Nathan's post above.

But if you go down the assault road, there's loads of artists whose albums we should be throwing from our collections. Likewise with actors and movies etc etc

I'm guessing that vmp have been looking into artists who pass some sort of background check and are therefore deemed suitable or otherwise?

Mayer is mentioned as creepy and a bad choice. I wasn't aware of the guy until his vmp rotm and wasn't aware he committed sexual assault until Nathan's post above.

But if you go down the assault road, there's loads of artists whose albums we should be throwing from our collections. Likewise with actors and movies etc etc

I'm guessing that vmp have been looking into artists who pass some sort of background check and are therefore deemed suitable or otherwise?
The short of it is that Storf said he will never select a Nas album as a ROTM due to his checkered past with domestic abuse. But then he chooses something like John Mayer who has had a checkered past so it comes off as extremely hypocritical.

His music also sucks hard too.

The short of it is that Storf said he will never select a Nas album as a ROTM due to his checkered past with domestic abuse. But then he chooses something like John Mayer who has had a checkered past so it comes off as extremely hypocritical.
Got it, wasn't aware of Storf's comments so thanks for filling in the gaps!

Also, no Tool cuz a bully was wearing a Tool t-shirt when when he gave storf a wedgie back in junior high.

Back