Vinyl Me Please Essentials

Oh man, I jam out to that Beth Orton Reggae song about London.
I have the Live Portishead album. I need to check out some Charlatans (I assume you mean Charlatans UK?). Thanks for the recommendations.

Yeah. I mean they're all mainstream albums but not all super super britpop poster albums. If you want obscure 90s brit music then that was my era. Resisted the urge to say anything by Pulp (but if you want to do that dance This Is Hardcore is my fave of the superbig albums. Maybe The Hour of Bewilderbeast too as one of those in the canny big but not massive catagory... And anything by Teenage Fanclub. Like ANYTHING by Fanclub. Maybe Grand Prixif you've not heard it.

It's weird as I often chuck about the '90s British indie was shit in retrospect' comment but actually a load of it has aged really well... And some of it is Oasis

Agreed, I think it sounds wonderful. Only issue I had was the jacket tightness and I wish the booklet shared the same dimensions as the album jacket. That is mostly just nitpicking though. I am happy to own it.
VMP has nothing to do with the booklet as far as I know. If it’s what I think you’re talking about, that same booklet was in the other recent rerelease.

Yeah. I mean they're all mainstream albums but not all super super britpop poster albums. If you want obscure 90s brit music then that was my era. Resisted the urge to say anything by Pulp (but if you want to do that dance This Is Hardcore is my fave of the superbig albums. Maybe The Hour of Bewilderbeast too as one of those in the canny big but not massive catagory... And anything by Teenage Fanclub. Like ANYTHING by Fanclub. Maybe Grand Prixif you've not heard it.

It's weird as I often chuck about the '90s British indie was shit in retrospect' comment but actually a load of it has aged really well... And some of it is Oasis
I was 17 when bandwagonesque came out. It was recommend to me by the lead guitarist of Superdrag (check them out if you have not) and that vibrant pink album cover just stuck out. I wore that CD out.

Oh man, I jam out to that Beth Orton Reggae song about London.
I have the Live Portishead album. I need to check out some Charlatans (I assume you mean Charlatans UK?). Thanks for the recommendations.

It wasnt in the Britpop scene but back In The day I was partial to The Wonderstuffs - Construction for the modern Idiot. I randomly found the CD during a cupboard clear out and your post gave me an excuse to mention it 👌 Wonder if that has been pressed....(Pun intended)

It wasnt in the Britpop scene but back In The day I was partial to The Wonderstuffs - Construction for the modern Idiot. I randomly found the CD during a cupboard clear out and your post gave me an excuse to mention it 👌 Wonder if that has been pressed....(Pun intended)

Great album! Often think they ended up overlooked because of the whole Vic Reeves Dizzy cover but they're great

Sorry, I was thinking of the Lilly Allen song LDN. For some reason I always think its by Beth Orton.

To be honest as much as I know about Lily Allen is that her dad's in the video for World in Motion and her brother got his wanger chopped off in Game of Thrones... And thats enough for me to get by on
might you be referring to the New Order World Cup song World in Motion? Ah...the days! I am still a big NO fan.

I have been streaming Spiritualized this week and really digging it. I think it will pair nicely with Screamadelica, so I am going to pick that up instead of that tasty Al Green in the VMP store. Any versions of Screamadelica I need to hone in on? When it arrives next month, I think I am going to have an ABW (All Brit Weekend) and spin away. If there are any other Brit albums I need to check out, that has a similar vibe, please let me know. In that genre I have The Bends, Stone Roses S/T, and that's about it. Going to pick up Sceamadelica. One more pic from the peanut gallery would be most appreciated. Verve? any particular Oasis? I am all ears.

On Screamadelica the US version has the Farley Mix of Come Together while the UK has the Weatherall Mix. For years I had only heard the Weatherall Mix and it wasn't until I picked up a vinyl copy that I heard the Farley Mix.

Farley Mix

Weatherall Mix

I believe that most pressings you find from retail stores in the US will be a Plain Recordings Press containing the Farley Mix, and Sony currently presses the Europe/UK versions with the Weatherall Mix. Off the top of my head, I don't have any complaints about my Plain copy, but haven't given it a serious listen to on my current setup.

In the same vein as Screamadelica and Stone Roses, have you tried the Happy Monday's Pills N Thrills N Bellyaches? I don't think it gets as much love state side as the other 2, but I consider these 3 albums to be the Holy Trinity of the Madchester sound.

I also love Blur, Pulp, Oasis and Super Furry Animals and own most of their entire discographies. My selections from these would be:

Blur - Parklife
Pulp - Common People
Oasis - Definitely Maybe
Super Furry Animals - Radiator

Last edited:
On Screamadelica I believe the US version has the Farley Mix of Come Together while the UK has the Weatherall Mix. For years I had only heard the Weatherall Mix and it wasn't until I picked up a vinyl copy that I heard the Farley Mix.

Farley Mix

Weatherall Mix

I believe that most pressings you find from retail stores in the US will be a Plain Recordings Press containing the Farley Mix, and Sony currently presses the Europe/UK versions with the Weatherall Mix. Off the top of my head, I don't have any complaints about my Plain copy, but haven't given it a serious listen to on my current setup.

In the same vein as Screamadelica and Stone Roses, have you tried the Happy Monday's Pills N Thrills N Bellyaches? I don't think it gets as much love state side as the other 2, but I consider these 3 albums to be the Holy Trinity of the Madchester sound.

I also love Blur, Pulp, Oasis and Super Furry Animals and own most of their entire discographies. My selections from these would be:

Blur - Parklife
Pulp - Common People
Oasis - Definitely Maybe
Super Furry Animals - Radiator

THANK YOU. I like the Farley mix WAY better.

I have been streaming Spiritualized this week and really digging it. I think it will pair nicely with Screamadelica, so I am going to pick that up instead of that tasty Al Green in the VMP store. Any versions of Screamadelica I need to hone in on? When it arrives next month, I think I am going to have an ABW (All Brit Weekend) and spin away. If there are any other Brit albums I need to check out, that has a similar vibe, please let me know. In that genre I have The Bends, Stone Roses S/T, and that's about it. Going to pick up Sceamadelica. One more pic from the peanut gallery would be most appreciated. Verve? any particular Oasis? I am all ears.
Seahorses - Do it Yourself. This is a MUST listen.

THANK YOU. I like the Farley mix WAY better.
Yeah I get that, Farley Mix is a bit more accessible from the get go. BUT while Weatherall Mix starts pretty spacey and dubby, that crescendo from ~5:45-9:45 hits some nooks and crannies of my brain juuuuuust riiiiiiight. I should probably get a copy of that on vinyl.

Also I forgot to add The Beta Band - The Three EPs to your 90s British album list. It's the laid back Sunday afternoon version of Screamadelica.

Yeah I get that, Farley Mix is a bit more accessible from the get go. BUT while Weatherall Mix starts pretty spacey and dubby, that crescendo from ~5:45-9:45 hits some nooks and crannies of my brain juuuuuust riiiiiiight. I should probably get a copy of that on vinyl.

Also I forgot to add The Beta Band - The Three EPs to your 90s British album list. It's the laid back Sunday afternoon version of Screamadelica.

I’d add in The Verve “a northern soul” and Pulps “his’n’hers”

Oh dude, I love The Beta Band. That album is amazing

Back