Vinyl Me Please Essentials

Sub-question: is it in fact unfair to criticize a formerly great artist for his latter day sins, is it better to burn out or fade away?
Nah, fire away.

Like, I consider myself a huge Gorillaz fan and have been since they came out but their last few albums have me questioning my entire fandom.
It's like they got really fucking baked and decided to invite a bunch of guests over to make a really bad Happy Monday's album.

Nah, fire away.

Like, I consider myself a huge Gorillaz fan and have been since they came out but their last few albums have me questioning my entire fandom.
It's like they got really fucking baked and decided to invite a bunch of guests over to make a really bad Happy Monday's album.

It’s not the weed’s fault!

I don't have a very strong opinion about Sublime, which may make me an outlier, but if anyone wants to read a long form essay by a fan/great music writer/LA Native on this album that will likely surpass whatever VMP does:

You had me at “The Ringer”.

This is wild to me, I’ve never really gave much thought to Sublime outside of their 3 hits but I absolutely love those three songs. Santeria is one of my favorite 90s songs and “What I Got” and “Doin Time” are both great fun (although I prefer Lana’s cover of the latter). When I saw it was the pick and that all 3 songs I like by them were on the album I was intrigued and kinda excited to give the rest of it a chance! Never realized that Sublime were so hated lol. Even if people didn’t think it should be essential or that it should be left in the 90s, I was in no way expecting the disdain for them lol

Honestly I have much more disdain for Death Cab but I’ve seen literally zero negative response to them being picked for Essentials.
Sublime and Death Cab reside in the same level of indifference from me. If a gun were to my head, I’d say Sublime makes music I don’t like but Death Cab on paper seems like something I should like, but don’t. So it’s still a wash.

what really matters is what you like, not what you are like... Books, records, films - these things matter. Call me shallow but it's the fuckin' truth

N&G: Holy shit. What the fuck is that?
Storf: It’s the new VMP Essentials Release
Other VMP subscribers: It’s a record we’ve been listening to and enjoying,… N&G.
N&G: Well, that’s unfortunate, because it sucks ass.

This is wild to me, I’ve never really gave much thought to Sublime outside of their 3 hits but I absolutely love those three songs. Santeria is one of my favorite 90s songs and “What I Got” and “Doin Time” are both great fun (although I prefer Lana’s cover of the latter). When I saw it was the pick and that all 3 songs I like by them were on the album I was intrigued and kinda excited to give the rest of it a chance! Never realized that Sublime were so hated lol. Even if people didn’t think it should be essential or that it should be left in the 90s, I was in no way expecting the disdain for them lol
I really like their three hits, too, so I purchased the reissued s/t about 7 years ago and have listened to it exactly once. Not even sure I spun it all the way through. 🤷‍♀️

Back