Vinyl Me Please Essentials

Time for the "did anybody NOT have surface noise issues on Side D?" question.

My copy is still in transit, set to arrive at my office tomorrow... although I'm currently working from home on quarantine due to possible Covid exposure so idk how long it'll be before I can actually pick it up. 🙃

Thought I dodged a bullet by not being a Mars Volta fan and am probably going to be hit with another by being an Outkast fan. Good thing I'm a PE and Wu fan so I can be let down twice next month. Glad I'm paying one and a half times standard album pricing, it's really the quality you pay for.

Here's what the start of my OutKast side D sounds like:

I have the same noise on my copy. I just sent an email with a video attached. If they don’t want to replace my copy, no biggie. It isn’t as bad as Mars Volta, but we also pay a premium for a perfect product.

I feel bad for everyone who is having to deal with all of these issues, but just wanted to put it out there that this thread is much less of a headache to read through when you haven't purchased these records. A few months ago, I would have rejoined VMP for certain albums if they found a way to make them happen, but I'm pretty happy that I haven't had any dealings with VMP for a year now, and reading about all the problems each month just reaffirms that life choice. I feel like this thread used to be more about exploring the music and guessing the albums, and now nearly every month it's just shipping delays or pressing issues and replacements in the quest to get a decent copy. There seems to be a diminishing degree of exclusivity to their releases, too, so I really don't feel like I'm missing out on anything that I need and can't get somewhere else.

I feel bad for everyone who is having to deal with all of these issues, but just wanted to put it out there that this thread is much less of a headache to read through when you haven't purchased these records. A few months ago, I would have rejoined VMP for certain albums if they found a way to make them happen, but I'm pretty happy that I haven't had any dealings with VMP for a year now, and reading about all the problems each month just reaffirms that life choice. I feel like this thread used to be more about exploring the music and guessing the albums, and now nearly every month it's just shipping delays or pressing issues and replacements in the quest to get a decent copy. There seems to be a diminishing degree of exclusivity to their releases, too, so I really don't feel like I'm missing out on anything that I need and can't get somewhere else.
I hear you. I mean Classics is still where it's at. I'm not 100% satisfied with Abbey Lincoln but I decided to live with it. It's definitely a small step back for that track, but otherwise a classics sub is about as 'can't lose' as you can get. I signed back up for essentials and RHH for the this three month stretch though and hearing about the issues makes me wonder why I signed back up in the first place. Hopefully the ATLiens issues isn't as widespread as it's sounding, and people here are reporting clean copies...but it's really making me anxious for my copy which should be here Monday at the latest, and for next month where I was hoping to get Wu and PE. And yeah, there's been a few instances where if you were alright just waiting it out you'd save the headache altogether and there would be a wider release, but in the case of all the items I've ordered the lure was great and I wasn't particularly counting on wide represses elsewhere.

Same. That said, I'm eagerly waiting for people to start offloading their defective, extra copies of the Mars Volta album. I'll pay for shipping!

If people offload all those defective pressings in something like a PIF thread (here or otherwise), good on them. But the aftermarket for some of these pressings is going to be such shit. You know some people will get their replacements or credits or whatever, and then go sell their junk copies on eBay. They'll probably list it as M/M and claim they never opened it (plausible deniability and deflecting any responsibility when the buyer hears the defect), and hope to sell it to someone who isn't savvy on Discogs or any other place that has discussed these things.

I know, the cynic in me is shining through here.....but it's gonna happen

Got to sit down with Beverly Glenn-Copeland last night. Absolutely transcendental album. Freakin' nuts. I had only heard Keyboard Fantasies previously (which I love and just ordered the reissue of as well), and obviously this album is so different, but what a brilliant adventure of its own. I was three tracks in when i started reading the listening notes, couldn't believe everything was one take, all done in one evening. 'Swords of Gold' is gonna be divisive no matter what, it's not an easy listen I'll admit, but I still dig it.

I'm sure a lot of people swapped this out , I hope some that didn't come around to it, and others find it along the way in swaps or sales. It's not background music, it needs and deserves a dedicated listening session - likely alone, in a dim room, possible lightly intoxicated/high if that's your thing, and I can say it's a treat on headphones.

My copy is very slightly warped, has some noise at the start of side B, and some scratchy bullshit on the runout grooves, but for a GZ pressing it feels like a win.

Back