Vinyl Me Please Essentials

I’m going to laugh when the ‘09 pick is Fuck Buttons- Tarot Sport. Just paid more than I should have on an original copy. Such a great album that needs a reissue.
fuck buttons is a fascinating artist for me

i tried listening to street horsssing and i really liked the first song because it was the perfect mix of beauty and chaos.. BUT after that the next song i just couldn't get into

Whelp, Joni it is.

I’m ok with that, my plans got thrown off track this past month with Jazz Dispensary showing up in swaps. I still gotta get Billie Holiday (and PUTS and Redman) so I’m down for a few meh choices to let me get caught up.
Joni Mitchell is an incredible pick! Blue is an outstanding album and is one of the best albums of the 70’s in my opinion!

I still hope we get something else I’d be very excited to see what VMP do with Joni Mitchell if it really is the January Essentials ROTM!

Dunno about that. Because she’s a woman the audiophile release companies haven’t picked it to press as “one of the albums a granddad wants” so there are probably quite a few other albums of the era that have been pressed to death much more than any of Joni’s...

There have been literally two all analog cuts done by Rhino in the past 13 years (2007 and 2019, with a standard black KG@CA cut coming out this year in 2020) in replica packaging, even a blue vinyl color variant last year. Both sound amazing, it was even on Michael Fremer's top 100 all analog vinyl reissues list.

I think it's a lazy guess to say Joni Blue. There are SO many great albums that came out in '71. Marvin Gaye's What's Going On would be 10000x a better pick just for starters. Last great reissue of that album came in 1987 unless you count the super exclusive MoFi one step that was $125 for the short time it was available.

There have been literally two all analog cuts done by Rhino in the past 13 years (2007 and 2019, with a standard black KG@CA cut coming out this year in 2020) in replica packaging, even a blue vinyl color variant last year. Both sound amazing, it was even on Michael Fremer's top 100 all analog vinyl reissues list.

I think it's a lazy guess to say Joni Blue. There are SO many great albums that came out in '71. Marvin Gaye's What's Going On would be 10000x a better pick just for starters. Last great reissue of that album came in 1987 unless you count the super exclusive MoFi one step that was $125 for the short time it was available.

I mean I was half messing and half making a point about how shitty mofi and APs A&R is! Also Joni as an artist is pretty shockingly overlooked, for someone as talented and influential large swathes of her catalogue are out of print. Plus while Rhino are capable of some stunning pressings they aren’t a reference audiophile label like the two above with their crap A&R.

Also, behave! There was an abbey road half speed of that one very recently too as well as the mofi.

Looking at the best albums of 1971 and none of them are undervalued or forgotten. They’re nearly all classics. Perhaps Tupelo Honey but then they’ve already gone there.

What's Going On
Histoire De Melodie Nelson
Songs Of Love And Hate
Tago Mago
Teenage Head
Songs For Beginners
Every Picture Tells A Story
Tarkus
Maggot Brain
Shaft
The Inner Mounting Flame
Trafalgar
Teaser And The Firecat
Meddle
Skull & Roses
American Pie
Coat of Many Colors
Roots
There's A Riot Goin On
Nilsson Schmilsson

Would all be better 1971 essentials picks than Blue. If you are that horny for a great reissue of Blue, here you go:

Amazon product ASIN B000KRN61S
Joni Mitchell - Blue

Joni Mitchell - Blue

Tell me what I'm missing, there are dozens of pressings of What's Going On since 1987. Including the Orange Sound of Vinyl version from this year.

Tell me what I'm missing, there are dozens of pressings of What's Going On since 1987. Including the Orange Sound of Vinyl version from this year.

All hi-res transfers for the masses, not all analog definitive pressings in tip-on jackets. None audiophile except the Mofi. The 1987 Tamla pressing is supposed to be the one to get aside from the super expensive secondhand market One Step.

What's Going On
Songs Of Love And Hate
Tago Mago
Teenage Head
Songs For Beginners
Tarkus
Maggot Brain
Shaft
The Inner Mounting Flame
Trafalgar
Teaser And The Firecat
Meddle
Skull & Roses
American Pie
Coat of Many Colors
Roots
There's A Riot Goin On
Nilsson Schmilsson

Would all be better 1971 essentials picks than Blue. If you are that horny for a great reissue of Blue, here you go:

Joni Mitchell - Blue

Joni Mitchell - Blue
The other thing is that other than the GD box, I don't feel like there's ever double dipping between Rhino releases and VMP selections. Rhino owns the rights to Blue's reissue and I doubt they would want to compete with VMP.

All hi-res transfers for the masses, not all analog definitive pressings in tip-on jackets. None audiophile except the Mofi. The 1987 Tamla pressing is supposed to be the one to get aside from the super expensive secondhand market One Step.

I cant find pressing information for most of the releases besides what's on Discogs. Do you have any information on the 2020 orange version besides being pressed at GZ?

Asking of course because that's the one I have and would love more info on it.

Last edited:
There is also a normal MoFi, but it is long out of print and used would cost at least as much as the retail for one-step as well.

I would love this if they picked it, but realize a lot of people already have a copy.

I cant find pressing information for most of the releases besides what's on Discogs. Do you have any information on the 2020 orange version besides being pressed at GZ?

Asking of course because that's the one I have and would love more info on it.

Not sure who mastered that one, I know that the last time they did an all analog version besides the MoFi was back in the 80s. I think the 84 and 87 Tamla pressings are supposed to be outstanding. If they got RKS or KG to cut one from the OG tapes that would easily be the best version you can get other than the MoFi . You can throw your other copy away if VMP did that. I doubt they do that one though.

Yeah I wasn't holding out much hope that it would be Funkadelic anytime soon.
There's still plenty of great albums from that year, so I am still holding out hope that it will be the definitive version of something good. They've done more experimental music the past few Januarys (okay, Moby isn't so experimental), so perhaps Can's Tago Mago?

What's Going On
Songs Of Love And Hate
Tago Mago
Teenage Head
Songs For Beginners
Tarkus
Maggot Brain
Shaft
The Inner Mounting Flame
Trafalgar
Teaser And The Firecat
Meddle
Skull & Roses
American Pie
Coat of Many Colors
Roots
There's A Riot Goin On
Nilsson Schmilsson

Joni Mitchell - Blue

Joni Mitchell - Blue
Teenage Head would be a fantastic pick too! That gets reissued every once in awhile though (think it did in color in the last few years) and it’s a pretty raw album but definitely my favorite Flamin Groovies album.

Back