Vinyl Me Please Essentials

wait... it COULD be fake

storf said he would be looking at the fact we've been cracking the url

and we only figured this out AFTER he gave us that...

is this a troll, i dont care either way but it is interesting

wait... it COULD be fake

storf said he would be looking at the fact we've been cracking the url

and we only figured this out AFTER he gave us that...

is this a troll, i dont care either way but it is interesting
I think this is wishful thinking. It would be a stupid business move to purposefully antagonize a portion of their customer base while disappointing others. Though, I guess we are talking about VMP and that’s never stopped them before.

I think this is wishful thinking. It would be a stupid business move to purposefully antagonize a portion of their customer base while disappointing others. Though, I guess we are talking about VMP and that’s never stopped them before.
i partially think this because
A) storf is a fucking trolling asshole (no offense but you are a troll storf)
B) the URL for john mayer looks more different from the ones for prince among thieves and sahara beyond just the _2

proof..

here is the PAT link: https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0...ng_thieves_vinyl_store_2200x.jpg?v=1584993142

and here is the link we were given for continuum: https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0069/3465/9162/products/continuum_vinyl_store_2_800x.jpg

note the move from 200x to 800x, why would they make the listings for the other 2 tracks a quarter of the size, when they promote all of their ROTMs heavily and show them in many different areas where they are the same size

B) the URL for john mayer looks more different from the ones for prince among thieves and sahara beyond just the _2

proof..

here is the PAT link: https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0...ng_thieves_vinyl_store_2200x.jpg?v=1584993142

and here is the link we were given for continuum: https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0069/3465/9162/products/continuum_vinyl_store_2_800x.jpg

note the move from 200x to 800x, why would they make the listings for the other 2 tracks a quarter of the size, when they promote all of their ROTMs heavily and show them in many different areas where they are the same size

Well... generally when we've tried this trick, it was used for exclusives. I just tried it out on the ROTMs because.. fuck it. Figured I would try and see. I wondered if the essentials URL was different or was being released in a different way, but I wasn't sure exactly how.

I think this is real. I just don't like it. But, that's perfectly fine, because I'm not exactly clamoring to give extra money to these guys. I didn't see how you felt about Sahara, but I know you're not into Prince Among Thieves. So, I understand if you're hoping that you get at least one solid sub this month. Some people are happy with 2 of them, so it's less of an issue. Some people might even be happy with all 3. For me... people can have their John Mayer. I'm more interested to see what the next 2 months will be.

I just am either too much of a spendaholic or OCD that I want to do a 3 month instead of 2 monthly because best value

And I got money waiting to be spent on stuff... And if you are saying "just get a grail you want or planned".. I was already going to get those, that was in my spending plan.. I planned for a lot

Last edited:
So I've just had an unbiased listen to the John Mayer record. I think it's a solid album, there are some songs I like, but then there are also several that don't touch me that much, so for me this will be a swap. I don't think I would spin this very often. I might pick up that record if it ever hits sale though.

Happy for all who enjoy it. I also expect given all the many great 2006 albums that many people will be a bit disappointed. I'm excited which 90s records they will present for August and September.

So I've just had an unbiased listen to the John Mayer record. I think it's a solid album, there are some songs I like, but then there are also several that don't touch me that much, so for me this will be a swap. I don't think I would spin this very often. I might pick up that record if it ever hits sale though.

Happy for all who enjoy it. I also expect given all the many great 2006 albums that many people will be a bit disappointed. I'm excited which 90s records they will present for August and September.

Also, in Germany the Mov variant seems to widely available for 20ish € , so there seems no Need to rush for a potential vmp version

Well... since you were aware of that, you could have posted this a couple days ago, yourself. And didn't. So congratulations, you get to condescendingly announce a fucking John Mayer album and kill some dreams.
I wasn't because I hadn't been the one entering the links and only tried it since it had remained unknown to this point and was catching up on what people had been guessing for it.

The 😉 post was only meant as a small poke as I'd mentioned to check it before. I've been wanting to find a means to post properly again but had been a rut up until that point. Sorry that it managed to irritate 😔

proof..

The only difference between those two URL's is in the file name and the redundant value you can trim at the end.
prince_among_thieves_vinyl_store_2200x.jpg
continuum_vinyl_store_2_800x.jpg

Before that for each we have:
cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0069/3465/9162/products/

To find the larger size trim the end "?v=" value (or make one up, it doesn't matter), replace the album name and make sure to add the "_2" we noticed earlier.

There's your larger version. Often various sizes of the same image are uploaded to websites to serve at different resolutions or devices to save unnecessary bandwidth loading a 1.5MB image for something 200px wide. When I was checking I was doing it on my iPad where it's harder to grab the main image URL so instead chose one on a release page itself to grab it.

As I noted before, Bella Donna was the first time I spotted the quirk:
products/bella_donna_vinyl_store_2_800x.jpg

It's not something consistent with Essentials releases though..
products/the_stooges_vinyl_store_800x.jpg

..and I'm sure there are other naming convention quirks they might have if you scour the links to the old releases to check.

Last edited:
The only difference between those two URL's is in the file name and the redundant version number you can trim.
prince_among_thieves_vinyl_store_2200x.jpg
continuum_vinyl_store_2_800x.jpg

Before that for each we have:
cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0069/3465/9162/products/

To find the larger size trim the version number (or make one up, it doesn't matter), replace the album name and make sure to add the "_2" we noticed earlier.

There's your larger version. Often various sizes of the same image are uploaded to websites to serve at different resolutions or devices to save unnecessary bandwidth loading a 1.5MB image for something 200px wide. When I was checking I was doing it on my iPad where it's harder to grab the main image URL so instead chose one on a release page itself to grab it.

As I noted before, Bella Donna was the first time I spotted the quirk:
products/bella_donna_vinyl_store_2_800x.jpg

It's not something consistent with Essentials releases though..
products/the_stooges_vinyl_store_800x.jpg

..and I'm sure there are other naming convention quirks they might have if you scour the links to the old releases to check.

I wonder if it's because Bella Donna was the second one they announced of that 3 in a row (Stooges, Stevie and the White Stripes)? That wouldn't make sense with this though as it fits the 2006 clues etc.. and not the "two of the best albums of the 90s" that they're going to also announce.

I did the same. I can't see myself ever streaming again let alone getting of my arse to flip the Vinyl. It's balls out Starbucks Chic to be honest.

Can see thousands of these going the Atari ET route

I wonder if it's because Bella Donna was the second one they announced of that 3 in a row (Stooges, Stevie and the White Stripes)? That wouldn't make sense with this though as it fits the 2006 clues etc.. and not the "two of the best albums of the 90s" that they're going to also announce.
If I were to guess I'd assume it was just a second export of the image "bella_donna_vinyl_store_2.jpg" because there was something wrong or needed changing with the first, and then they use a script to handle the resizing of the images that auto-appends the resolution to the end of the file names.

Honestly I'm still kind of surprised they didn't fix the loophole after I did it for Fiona Apple, which seemed to be a pretty large deal/reveal for them. Unless they've got calls tied into the naming structure of their images it should just be a case of adding any four digits (or anything) into the filename. I don't know if people were using the same trick before that, but I never expected it to last to future releases letalone this long later.

This might be inconsistent from someone that has been ragging on John Mayer but I am fine with Jack Johnson and Dave Matthews and shit like that. I think those guys are who they are no one is gonna go on a diatribe about how technically proficient Jack Johnson at the guitar is if you don’t like his music. He makes laid back folk pop for the Hollister set and that’s fine. I think what probably rubs me the wrong way about Mayer is if you don’t like him it’s because you just don’t get it 🙄. He also parades himself around like he’s Keith Richards and then plays “Daughter” which would be hilarious if he were in on the joke.

He's an incredible guitarist. I think that side of him can only be appreciated live as the albums are all commercial radio friendly stuff , like the radio station your mom listens to. I've seen him love twice, once on the continuum tour and once on the heavier things tour. Both were date night but I left extremely impressed and that's my opinion as a guitarist.

Vmp would have to do a lot to convince me to pick this up. The MOV press is really awesome, I don't see how it could be bettered. I don't get the colour they've selected either. I guess the only thing they could improve is the jacket but I find his jackets really boring as they're just some pretty boy shots of himself.

Vinyl Me, Please and I have wildly differing views on what is "essential".

I'm listening to this album now and there's just something so so boring about it. The guitar work is great, though. I wish he made instrumental albums. I feel like I'm in a coffee shop, not the cool kind that has bagels with rosemary and olive oil and the owner is making all the drinks and talking about how he used to see Archers of Loaf in this building in the 90's, but the kind that smells like old coffee and sounds like the clack of Apple keyboards and the college kids are glaring at me because I'm taking up the table that Sidney and Aden could be sitting at, right now.

Back