Vinyl Me Please Essentials

That's so cynical dude. These are huge albums and it'd suck if you really wanted in to get faced with a SOLD OUT! Why not get an indication of how many you need to press and please the masses? Best thing they've done in a while IMO, I loved knowing 3 months in advance when they used to for Classics, I wish they'd do it all the time. The last thing already well established successful albums need to drive them is FOMO though.

I don’t know. I want to agree with you but watching the way they’ve evolved over the last year makes me extremely cynical in respect of them. I just hear Matt Fielder saying “I don’t do anything that doesn’t make me money” whenever they do something like this...

That's so cynical dude. These are huge albums and it'd suck if you really wanted in to get faced with a SOLD OUT! Why not get an indication of how many you need to press and please the masses? Best thing they've done in a while IMO, I loved knowing 3 months in advance when they used to for Classics, I wish they'd do it all the time. The last thing already well established successful albums need to drive them is FOMO though.
For sure wish they’d switch to this type of model for all three tracks. Gives people a chance to plan and budget.

The part I don't get is that they cited the labels as the reason they stopped doing it for Classics. Supposedly the labels didn't like sharing the spotlight with future releases that might overshadow theirs. And then the month that they reverse course and start it up again is the month that they announce the future release of what is arguably one of the top 3 most sought-after reissues they've done to date?

I don't really care which way they do it, monthly or multiple months in advance. I just wish they didn't directly contradict their own earlier rationales all the time.

Eh. As much as I want to hate VMP, I feel like this is kind of reaching a little bit. I kind of get where they're coming from announcing these albums and then warning people of the upcoming titles, so they can get them.

I’m the opposite. I want to like them. I want to go back to the excitement of last year. Wondering what the records are going to be and when they are coming.

They changed that, they showed that community and club didn’t matter and they showed that for them the bottom line was their sole focus.

Remember Matt Fielder has no time for anything that doesn’t make him money. Direct quote.

I'm not sure there is a level above Bellman and Pallas

I think RKS and Bellman are same level but often have different tastes. Bellman cuts louder and harder, RKS, quieter and flatter. Either way the album is a DAT so there's not any fidelity gained over a CD there to begin with.

My point isn't that this is a good deal or better, but that it's a step up from using GZ when there aren't off the shelf lacquers which is their usual MO.

I’m the opposite. I want to like them. I want to go back to the excitement of last year. Wondering what the records are going to be and when they are coming.

They changed that, they showed that community and club didn’t matter and they showed that for them the bottom line was their sole focus.

Remember Matt Fielder has no time for anything that doesn’t make him money. Direct quote.
Where did he say that? I feel like I've heard mention of it, and I don't doubt at all that he said it (given how effing rude and clueless he was about the forum), but I just don't recall actually seeing it.

It's also the type of thing that no CEO wants to be heard saying (lest it haunt them eternally) but by virtue of their position is supposed to demonstrate at all times. Like, of course he has a fiduciary responsibility not to waste the company's resources on unprofitable projects. Of course you're supposed to reassure your investors and your employees that you're not just goofing around, because as a businessman you're focusing on the business and not letting frivolous distractions get in the way. But man oh man are there better contexts and wordings to express it.

Edit: which is to say that I think there are things to criticize Matt & co. for, but this one is low-hanging fruit, in my view.

Announcing the next 3 is to lock people in for 3 records when they probably only want 1 (Songs for the Deaf). It's 100% a FOMO tactic, but also a business tactic so I can't fault them for that. They want to let people know about SftD early to help with demand (and shift blame from them for missing out on said item) but also want to rope customers in for 3-month subs.

Where did he say that? I feel like I've heard mention of it, and I don't doubt at all that he said it (given how effing rude and clueless he was about the forum), but I just don't recall actually seeing it.

That’s a good question. It’s one of those things that I read and can’t remember where I read it, it’s been that long ago...

I’ll try and find where that came from!

It's also the type of thing that no CEO wants to be heard saying (lest it haunt them eternally) but by virtue of their position is supposed to demonstrate at all times. Like, of course he has a fiduciary responsibility not to waste the company's resources on unprofitable projects. Of course you're supposed to reassure your investors and your employees that you're not just goofing around, because as a businessman you're focusing on the business and not letting frivolous distractions get in the way. But man oh man are there better contexts and wordings to express it.

Edit: which is to say that I think there are things to criticize Matt & co. for, but this one is low-hanging fruit, in my view.

Within reason. What it fails to realise, and what has cause a lot of all of our problems with VMP, is that there can be parts of your business that make you no direct money and may even lose you money but their overall contribution to the wider company makes that worthwhile.

I wasn’t a fan of The Soft Bulletin when I first heard it (which was a day or two ago), mostly because of Wayne Coyne’s voice, but it’s been growing on me the more I’ve listened to it.

I’ve never heard Songs For the Deaf either. I should probably fix that within the next month.

I already have a copy of the Rhino remaster of INLAMTWILY but the details about this pressing so far (AAA, purple & white vinyl, lyric booklet) are making it too good to pass up! I’m excited for these next 3 months!

It is?

Edit: Indeed it is, according to Discogs. I have this copy and there are no CB etchings in the wax though. It does sound quite nice.

I would guess he didn't cut the laquer then unless the Discogs credits are wrong, it looks like Masterdisk cut the lacquer. That's the problem with these wooly terms for mastering. To give a proper picture there are really three descriptors that are used interchangeably by many:

1: "Mastering for vinyl" which is the work of preparing the record from the source to the target format, in this case ripping and EQing the DAT.
2: cutting an actual lacquer or direct-metal-mastering a disc
3: Signal path ie from a digital file, direct from tape etc.

For all we know this VMP pressing could be cut by RKS from files prepared by Bellman. Who know though, as VMP seems to not get the difference between 1-3.

Within reason. What it fails to realise, and what has cause a lot of all of our problems with VMP, is that there can be parts of your business that make you no direct money and may even lose you money but their overall contribution to the wider company makes that worthwhile.
Right, I guess that's what I'm saying. Depending on who the audience for that statement is, and the context in which it's stated the "(within reason)" at the end of Fiedler's thought is plausibly implied. It's only when it gets lifted from its original context and repeated in new ones that what was perhaps understood by the initial audience can no longer be read in by future ones.

Maybe that's more benefit of the doubt than he deserves, I don't know.

Back