Vinyl Me Please Essentials

Reddit is a shit pit. A bad move closing the forum and thinking it would be a suitable replacement but ho-hum. I think Storf is fine and like @foks said we should be above calling out insults to an individual. The company and its stupid decisions however are fair game.
It's not clear at all to me that VMP's line of thought was to make reddit its proxy community. Storf the individual volunteered to continue to engage there as a vehicle for hints and stuff. I don't think there's any evidence that he was directed to do so or that reddit ever entered into VMP's thinking when they made the decision to shut down the forum.

It's not clear at all to me that VMP's line of thought was to make reddit its proxy community. Storf the individual volunteered to continue to engage there as a vehicle for hints and stuff. I don't think there's any evidence that he was directed to do so or that reddit ever entered into VMP's thinking when they made the decision to shut down the forum.

So hes a glutton for punishment who brought this on himself? Got it. :)

So hes a glutton for punishment who brought this on himself? Got it. :)
I mean...yeah? Even in the old forum, every single staff member who ever interacted there was always crystal clear that it wasn't actually part of their job description. If anything, I think Storf's continued participation with members on reddit is as clear a signal of his thoughts on shutting down the forum as we're likely to get.

I mean is his speaker still an old record?

Ok this I will agree with you on, as this is a genuine problem with taking any sound advise from him lol. That thing probably DSPs the shit out of the signal to sound halfway decent with a small driver loaded in a shitty horn. On top of that, most BT speakers are EQ’d to be rolled-off as SBC Bluetooth has such horrible compression when you hear it flat on a revealing setup your ears bleed. When using that in the mono configuration it is in, there is no way to accurately evaluate noisefloor as everything is getting summed to mono, which as anyone who plays records with a mono switch or Y-cable knows will nerf a lot of non-fill and surface noise issues. Seriously $25 Logitech speakers would be more up to the task lol. Of course I have no clue what the test pressings are actually reviewed on. I’d assume someone at VMP HQ has a decent flat and accurate setup.

I’d assume someone at VMP HQ has a decent flat and accurate setup.
I do recall during the initial Gorillaz "side C skip" issue, they said they have a listening room with a Rega (P6 or RP6 maybe) that had an upper-mid range MC cart. The feedback people had then was that not everyone has a table of that level, and they should also be testing with lower cost tables (which I personally agree with).

Regarding Storf/Reddit - remember when Storf and other staff would have to take "mental health breaks" from the forum? Storf has be to on the verge of a break down. It will be interesting to see how the Reddit crowd reacts to that.

I'll also add that I am SOOOO glad this forum exists now. I almost wish it would have built it before the VMP forum shut down. I don't miss having any "official" vmp reps, statements, etc coming in here. The details on drops and stuff are nice, but I don't mind loosing all the general CS convos that took place as a result. It feels nice to be a little further detached.

Last edited:
In the Desert Sessions Reddit thread, they're certainly flirting with the possibility of a QOTSA SFTD Essential pick and Storf is discussing holding people to eating hats - that has to be our front runner right now, right? Would fit the previous statements regarding closest to metal since Paranoid and being one of their biggest gets ever.

In the Desert Sessions Reddit thread, they're certainly flirting with the possibility of a QOTSA SFTD Essential pick and Storf is discussing holding people to eating hats - that has to be our front runner right now, right? Would fit the previous statements regarding closest to metal since Paranoid and being one of their biggest gets ever.

I think given the size of the band and album and the fact that it’s never been repressed and had such a limited initial run would make it their biggest get essentials wise by a country mile!

I do recall during the initial Gorillaz "side C skip" issue, they said they have a listening room with a Rega (P6 or RP6 maybe) that had an upper-mid range MC cart. The feedback people had then was that not everyone has a table of that level, and they should also be testing with lower cost tables (which I personally agree with).

I’m pretty sure I remember them saying they had a ps audio sprout 100 in the office, which would make sense given where they are.

are you saying for november... because october has been confirmed

Back