Vinyl Me Please Essentials

We still know nothing but alt-rock from 94 or 99 so there are still lots of possibilities. I don't think it's rem though. I just dont see a colour variant of an album thats coming up in different versioms as an interesting pick for the sub. Same with throwing copper. There are so many albums from that years without a proper vinyl reissue so piggybacking on those upcoming releases would just be very lazy. I'm still hopeful that they have something more to offer for this month.

For some who are considering signing Up for VMP, I would think that making this album the ROTM would be Automatic for the People. There’s some Murmur online that if the pressing was mastered from the original tapes, it’d be New Adventures in Hi-Fi. It’d be a Monster of a release that would make people who didn’t get a copy Green with envy.

Nice puns. Someone should Document this man’s efforts!

R.E.M.’s music reminds me too much of the forklift drivers at the factories I’ve worked at: men that have no fashion taste, eat frozen meals/just buy sausage rolls or pies on their work break and they would never be vegan. And also, they’re a bit patriotic and love placing a good multi-bet and they just know the suburban life. Like they enjoy social gambling and drinking cheap beer. But they’re still nice men 😅

I really hope the Essentials ROTM is something that is not similar to that aesthetic 🙇‍♂️

I can’t even

Murmer, Reckoning and Fables is an amazing Triple Play run of albums. If Chronic Town was not an ep I would give them a Grand Slam. Pagent was good but not great to me. To my punk rock ears Document was such a blatant attempt to jump from the College rock circuit Arena Rock

Pageant is definitely my favorite REM album, so I can’t relate.

Pageant is definitely my favorite REM album, so I can’t relate.
I remember buying Fables on the day it came out. It was the first record I ever bought intentionally on release day. I spent weeks listening to it over and over. Feeling Gravity's Pull was the first song I taught myself on guitar. When Pageant came out I bought it on release day as well. While I still love the album, it just didn't live up to the greatness of Fables.

What are the clues for this month?
Just “1994 or 1999,” but That Dog just recently digitally reissued the self-titled album for its 25th anniversary and they have their new album coming out in October. Their other albums have been out of print, so there’s a lot of opportunity for additional tie-in exclusives, which I believe we are to expect for some of the ROTMs this upcoming month.

Back