Vinyl Me Please Essentials

The reason R.E.M. are really popular is because they are really good. Their early stuff has nice mystery to it but they keep a questing spirit throughout their career. One of rock’s best discographies.

But Monster is getting a wide (and easily affordable) reissue everywhere so I have no need for a VMP version in ‘exclusive orange vinyl with a tip-on jacket and exclusive art print’ for double the price of the regular reissue.
mmmmmm I think that’s why it won’t be the Essentials ROTM - because it’s getting a wide reissue!

I really want another clue! I want to know if R.E.M. is still in the running or not to be the Essentials ROTM 😂

R.E.M.’s music reminds me too much of the forklift drivers at the factories I’ve worked at: men that have no fashion taste, eat frozen meals/just buy sausage rolls or pies on their work break and they would never be vegan. And also, they’re a bit patriotic and love placing a good multi-bet and they just know the suburban life. Like they enjoy social gambling and drinking cheap beer. But they’re still nice men 😅

I really hope the Essentials ROTM is something that is not similar to that aesthetic 🙇‍♂️

That impression is about as off as possible about REM. They were a Left of the Dial band.

That impression is about as off as possible about REM. They were a Left of the Dial band.
I think it’s because I don’t know much better. “Orange Crush” and “Losing My Religion” would play on the work radio and most of the workers love that kind of music. And I don’t know, when I hear those songs, I just think of those workers instantly.

I’m so unfamiliar with rock, so I guess my characterisation would be really bad and narrow minded 🙈

I think it’s because I don’t know much better. “Orange Crush” and “Losing My Religion” would play on the work radio and most of the workers love that kind of music. And I don’t know, when I hear those songs, I just think of those workers instantly.

I’m so unfamiliar with rock, so I guess my characterisation would be really bad and narrow minded 🙈
Go listen to So. Central Rain or Radio Free Europe or Fall on Me or Begin the Begin or Leave.

*Edit* listen to them all

R.E.M. are worth giving a go chronologically to experience the twists and turns their career goes to. Monster isn’t the best place to start by any means but the fact a strange little band from Athens G.A. got to be so big is that their work speaks to a lot of people. R.E.M. are so commonly accepted as a good band it is easy to forget how wonderful and awe inspiring they can be. It’s a bit like Clouds, something we accept as lovely but don’t realise how special they are until we look into the sky and don’t see them hovering

Check out the Chronic Town EP.

Murmer, Reckoning and Fables is an amazing Triple Play run of albums. If Chronic Town was not an ep I would give them a Grand Slam. Pagent was good but not great to me. To my punk rock ears Document was such a blatant attempt to jump from the College rock circuit Arena Rock
While I agree the first three albums are great, when I reach for an early R.E.M. album it's usually Pageant.

Back