Vinyl Me Please Country

I like storf and I definitely get what @dhodo is saying @wynn72 is pretty on the money too.

One thing that VMP has going for it is the ability to feed the rabid music fan base. They’ve kind of figured that out. The thing that they’ll need to keep him on check on is the Brantley Gilberts and Morgan Wallens because of what @dhodo is saying.... storf’s all in and while a Florida Georgia Line isn’t for me and it’s been painful to watch Luke Combs get boxed in with all the bro country, those problematic artists are aplenty in country. Hell Merle Haggard is a patron Saint and I love his song writing. I think the Strangers records are some of the best country ever made. But he was also a son of a bitch.

If they can steer Storf away from the problematic, he is uniquely capable of curating this track.

also, how dare someone say all Stax isn’t brilliant? Lol

I like storf and I definitely get what @dhodo is saying @wynn72 is pretty on the money too.

One thing that VMP has going for it is the ability to feed the rabid music fan base. They’ve kind of figured that out. The thing that they’ll need to keep him on check on is the Brantley Gilberts and Morgan Wallens because of what @dhodo is saying.... storf’s all in and while a Florida Georgia Line isn’t for me and it’s been painful to watch Luke Combs get boxed in with all the bro country, those problematic artists are aplenty in country. Hell Merle Haggard is a patron Saint and I love his song writing. I think the Strangers records are some of the best country ever made. But he was also a son of a bitch.

If they can steer Storf away from the problematic, he is uniquely capable of curating this track.

You jumping back in to VMP for this? I’m really considering it.

This is really accurate. This sub will be threading the needle to some extent. It could be really fantastic or just terrible. And if it's Folsom Prison first, that tells us nothing about where this is going.

See, all of his American Recordings are still readily available too (I think, the box set was one of my first vinyl purchases so not sure if its no longer in print), so I feel like that's just as much of a missed opportunity.

I know VMP doesnt use whether a title is in print to determine ROTM eligibility but Country has soooo little that is recently pressed. Honestly, with the exception of Cash, even the big guns don't have their biggest albums released (try to find a new good copy of Shotgun Willie, Honky Tonk Heroes, Big City, etc). Theres alot of potential in this track to release albums overdue for reissues.

Cash is one of the few that DOES have his big albums pressed pretty regularly and some pretty solid MOV pressings. Honestly I would have loved to see Mean as Hell, Sings the Ballads of the True West, or even Ring of Fire: The Best of Johnny Cash (which isnt really a best of Comp but non-album tracks on LP for the first time and the very first release of "Ring of Fire").

But I do get doing Folsom. One of the goals of this track is probably going to be to expose people to the greatness that country has to offer and Johnny Cash is a such a titan in the genre, It makes sense to get his pick out of the way quick (or people will keep on waiting for it). And kick it off with the Biggest Country album ever. I honestly am still really hoping for a Cash Anthology that includes other albums. Leave Folsom out and include a definitive uncensored version of San Quentin, which is impossible to find outside of the Legacy CD.

A Cash anthology would be great.

Back