Vinyl Me Please Classics

Listening to Lee Morgan. GD does Classics make hating VMP harder than it should be
Classics is consistently great. I don't think there's anything wrong with saying that while also acknowledging the fact that the rest of the tracks are primarily pressed by GZ and therefore a shit show.

(I'm definitely not bitter at all about my copy of 36 Chambers being noisy as all hell)

All this Lee Morgan talk, and Bill Withers +’Justments only just landed here today (can safely put that down to the recent massive delays by AustPost). After a quick spin clean this afternoon, it sounds sensational…this will easily slot in to the weeknight rotation.

All this Lee Morgan talk, and Bill Withers +’Justments only just landed here today (can safely put that down to the recent massive delays by AustPost). After a quick spin clean this afternoon, it sounds sensational…this will easily slot in to the weeknight rotation.
I got my Bill Withers +justments yesterday and I'm also in Australia! I work for AusPost and they are really down on drivers at the moment in Melbourne, and have run out on cages as well (which is something most sorting facilities use) - having to use pallets slows down the process more! Hope AusPost get on top of it soon! 🤞

Like you said though, the pressing sounds phenomenal! I was so pleased with how much better this pressing of +justments sounded compared to the Music On Vinyl pressing I owned, which was still a good pressing! +justments is my favourite Classics ROTM of 2021 so far! Absolutely in love with it! ♥️

Teddy Pendergrass - Live is a Song Worth Singing confirmed

VMP has also announced that Teddy Pendergrass’ 1977 album Life Is a Song Worth Singing, featuring Thom Bell and Linda Creed’s epic title track, will be the Classics Record of the Month for October. Sign-ups for this Record of the Month open on September 23.

VMP has also announced that Teddy Pendergrass’ 1977 album Life Is a Song Worth Singing, featuring Thom Bell and Linda Creed’s epic title track, will be the Classics Record of the Month for October. Sign-ups for this Record of the Month open on September 23.

Just like I suspected, cool.

Yay! I'm so thrilled! I really like Life Is A Song Worth Singing - It's a wonderful album! The last three songs AKA side B of this album is magnificent! I cannot wait for this one! It's going to be a joy spinning this one during Summer! :cool:

So, if Teddy Pendergrass is the Classics ROTM for October, what are the front-runners for the November & December Classics ROTM?

Pretty frequent in my opinion. Don't get me started on their trend of scanned in ringwear.
Part of me wonders if it's because some of these albums are before the time of high-res digital images so there's no source files for them to touch up and send to the printers. They just have to make do the best they can with what they have, and that means scanning old album art and touching up as best they can. It's not a huge deal to me, but there is a similar feeling to back in the day when you'd buy dvd versions of in theaters movie from Chinatown (or Pacific Mall for the Toronto peeps).

Part of me wonders if it's because some of these albums are before the time of high-res digital images so there's no source files for them to touch up and send to the printers. They just have to make do the best they can with what they have, and that means scanning old album art and touching up as best they can. It's not a huge deal to me, but there is a similar feeling to back in the day when you'd buy dvd versions of in theaters movie from Chinatown (or Pacific Mall for the Toronto peeps).
I think they could spend $1000 (or in some cases with these titles, like $30) to get a mint copy and do a professional high res scan job. Seems like it would be a rounding error in their monthly costs. Instead they just grab the first half decent copy they find and do a completely amateur low res scan job and don't even try to Photoshop out defects to save a few bucks. They don't even bother to get a first release cover sometimes. Insane for the prices they charge even when they were lower.

So, if Teddy Pendergrass is the Classics ROTM for October, what are the front-runners for the November & December Classics ROTM?

November sounds like it's gonna be one of Freddie King's 2 1969 albums. (Freddie King is a Blues Master or My Feeling For the Blues).
December we need more clues. It could be a Roberta Flack album (Quiet Fire or Chapter Two) but the clues don't really add up to either. Could also be Lena Horne's Nature's Baby, I have a feeling there is another album out there we haven't thought of yet for December.

I think they could spend $1000 (or in some cases with these titles, like $30) to get a mint copy and do a professional high res scan job. Seems like it would be a rounding error in their monthly costs. Instead they just grab the first half decent copy they find and do a completely amateur low res scan job and don't even try to Photoshop out defects to save a few bucks. They don't even bother to get a first release cover sometimes. Insane for the prices they charge even when they were lower.
Look at an original. It was always a grainy, blurry photo.

In general, they take what the label gives them and do what they can with it. With many of these labels, original negatives or even mockup art no longer exists. So often, they are given the CD artwork, which is the best the label has.

I would think that scanning an original pressing would be a very rare last resort, and at that, poses multiple problems. The card stock used on many originals doesn't lend itself well to scanning, and it's not as easy as just Photostopping it. Try it, you will see, it isn't an easy job, particularly when getting a really shitty image and trying to corrct it in higher resolution.

In general, they take what the label gives them and do what they can with it. With many of these labels, original negatives or even mockup art no longer exists. So often, they are given the CD artwork, which is the best the label has.

I would think that scanning an original pressing would be a very rare last resort, and at that, poses multiple problems. The card stock used on many originals doesn't lend itself well to scanning, and it's not as easy as just Photostopping it. Try it, you will see, it isn't an easy job, particularly when getting a really shitty image and trying to corrct it in higher resolution.
I don't know what to say other than a professional could easily do a better job and scanning in ringwear on titles that originals are cheap to buy is laughable. I haven't even seen the title that this was brought up in context of so I'll take your word for it on that one. Many examples in the past look much worse than originals or other reissues.

Of course it would be a last resort if you can charge $43 for a blurry scan with different colors and brightness from originals and people keep buying it. Not surprised they keep doing amateur work.

What's up with the cover photo of Lee? Looks like a copy of a copy of an already grain photo.
This has always been a bit of annoyance. In the past there have been some really really bad examples (Blossom Dearie being a prime example).

I think you would be surprised when it comes to scanning original copies. It actually happens quite a lot. DJ Pari has a super clean copy of Yusef Lateef's Eastern Sounds and Craft approached him for a high res scan which ended up being the one that they used for the recent Small Batch release.

I work with photoshop regularly and I am nowhere near the level of an expert but I would humbly argue that I could produce a better job with a high res scan than the alterations that have been made on some of these (Blossom Dearie being a prime example again). There's no bounds to what a competent graphic designer could produce when it comes to this kind of stuff. Just look at videos of people restoring old photos on youtube, its eye-opening. Nowhere near this level of detail would be needed for this kind of work when the base file is provided anyway.

With October confirmed, how do the clues currently shake out for November/December? I'm curious if my oddball Leon Thomas guess from a week or so ago is still techinically in the running for December. 👀

Back