Vinyl Me Please Classics

The only way i see this being officially sold out is if they drastically dropped pressing numbers for Brubeck. I mean, the only Classics to sell out this year are Al Green, Lloyd Miler and Blossom Dearie, right? Or did Buddy Guy go too?

The only way i see this being officially sold out is if they drastically dropped pressing numbers for Brubeck. I mean, the only Classics to sell out this year are Al Green, Lloyd Miler and Blossom Dearie, right? Or did Buddy Guy go too?

I thought all of the first 5 (upto Al Green) initially sold out after the tighter pressing nonsense? I don’t think anything sold out since, maybe forum fall out?

to be fair since the AAA (Al Green was the first) there has only been one sell out, the rest were not AAA and they were the sell outs 😉
So what’s in your November box Joe?

Essentials - Queens Of The Stone Age
Classics - Brubeck
Angel Olsen

???

At first Brubeck selling out might seem like a bit of a shock when compared to Blakey, but im not sure it is really.

Brubeck was considered the poster-boy for jazz for a long, long time, and the US Department of State would send him out on multiple diplomatic tours, so his audience was widespread for sure. 'Time Out' is one of the biggest selling jazz records of all time and broke multiple records with 'Take Five', which became the first Jazz single to sell 1 million copies and it was also a top 40 single (ironically it was the only song on the album to have not been written by Brubeck - it was written by Paul Desmond).

Plus if im going to compare him with Blakey, they are very much polar opposites in terms of public image. Brubeck was basically a saint who couldnt put a foot wrong compared to the usual jazz musician image and Blakey was, unfortunately, an addict that had a harsh temper and would regularly belittle people. So, again, if this is the image people may have of them then I imagine more people signing up for Brubeck over Blakey.

To a casual listener I would imagine that Dave Brubecks name would be more familiar than, for example, Blakeys. The amount of advertisement VMP pushes (I have seen multiple posts across social media, emails etc) I think Brubeck would be one of those albums that a casual jazz fan might sub for based on the intrigue and familiarity with Time Out etc.

Or you know, it could just be because new people signed up for QOTSA and figured they might as well add the classics as well.

Looks like the original was black, actually: The Dave Brubeck Quartet - Jazz Impressions Of Japan
Good on VMP for paying attention to detail haha! Looks like the black type was used for a year or two in the early 60’s. I’m sure I have a couple records like that but never paid attention.

I’m sure this will also get endlessly played in the background of Thanksgiving next month too. Kind of a perfect album for sounding pleasant and not critically listening to.

Back