Vinyl Me Please Classics

Coltrane - Sun Ship (or live in Seattle)

I have both of these on CD and neither is an "easy" listen, nor are they albums I often reach for. I could imagine some complaints (or even better, pretending to really like it when you don't) from the Reddit crowd.

But a Coltrane album, especially one that hasn't been reissued in a while would be a fairly big get. Also could be indicative that the Impulse! Anthology might be coming soon.

Sun Ship is pretty awesome. It's not much different than his Live at VV set in terms of the music. Pretty standard for post-ALS Coltrane sound. t's not "ascension' level out there. I would call it avante-garde jazz but not free jazz like some very very acquired taste stuff that is all over the place

Sun Ship is pretty awesome. It's not much different than his Live at VV set in terms of the music. Pretty standard for post-ALS Coltrane sound. t's not "ascension' level out there. I would call it avante-garde jazz but not free jazz like some very very acquired taste stuff that is all over the place
I’d be surprised if VMP gets a Coltrane exclusive outside of the impulse box (which I expect to have an easy-ish to get Coltrane release).

I’d be surprised if VMP gets a Coltrane exclusive outside of the impulse box (which I expect to have an easy-ish to get Coltrane release).

Haven't found anyone else who fits the clues so far, and he has two albums that fit the clues. I don't see why Universal wouldn't give them a Coltrane breakout release, Blue Note gave VMP an Anthology plus Blakey's Freedom Rider, and this was after Blue Note started reissuing all their back catalog with BN80 and the Tone Poet Series. Since they've been working with Impulse to put together an anthology, IMO it makes sense that they would curate a breakout release too in addition while they were picking titles for their box.

Haven't found anyone else who fits the clues so far, and he has two albums that fit the clues. I don't see why Universal wouldn't give them a Coltrane breakout release, Blue Note gave VMP an Anthology plus Blakey's Freedom Rider, and this was after Blue Note started reissuing all their back catalog with BN80 and the Tone Poet Series. Since they've been working with Impulse to put together an anthology, IMO it makes sense that they would curate a breakout release too in addition while they were picking titles for their box.
And I wonder if it was something that the powers that be in charge of the AS series passed on, so that's why they're letting VMP do it.

Fair enough. But as @wmeugene said there’s also the AS series going on and I’d guess they have first dibs on titles since they are likely to make way more money that way vs VMP licensing.

VERY curious what will be in the VMP Impulse! box

I have a feeling AS series is doing the bigger name titles while VMP is free to grab some more obscure ones like Sun Ship or Live in Seattle, maybe one more. There are a good 17 or so to choose from give or take

I have a feeling AS series is doing the bigger name titles while VMP is free to grab some more obscure ones like Sun Ship or Live in Seattle, maybe one more. There are a good 17 or so to choose from give or take
Depending on what tapes are still available…also does it matter that Coltrane was already featured in classics? I know it was Coltrane and Miles but…

Yeah true. Who knows what original or copy tapes they have for all these Impulse reissues. The Live at Seattle digital transfer they use on streaming sounds pretty beat up even.

I'm pretty sure Storf said a while back that the Miles/Coltrane album wouldn't keep them from putting out some more Coltrane on Classics. Davis is iffy though. But then again they kinda opened the floodgates of double dipping on non-Essentials tracks when they put out ATLiens on RHH

Depending on what tapes are still available…also does it matter that Coltrane was already featured in classics? I know it was Coltrane and Miles but…
The "no multiple releases from the same artist on the same track" rule is long dead thanks to OutKast and now it only applies to Essentials.

Classics can see more releases from both Coltrane and Miles.

The "no multiple releases from the same artist on the same track" rule is long dead thanks to OutKast and now it only applies to Essentials.

Classics can see more releases from both Coltrane and Miles.
Do they have any "rules" still alive? They are re-pressing exclusives and not changing anything. I think their rules have long left the building.

Could August be Louis Armstrong Plays W.C. Handy? I have that on CD and it's fantastic. Looks like Ryan Smith already remastered it for Analog Spark in '17, but it looks to be OoP.

Jumping into this thread late here...

- Sunship possible, Seattle not, simply because Seattle is a tougher listen, a rougher recording, and a double album. Sunship tapes exist, Seattle not sure.
- AS does not get any first dibs or have their pick, Chad curates purely based on sales potential. Sure, Universal are not likely to license VMP anything already done in the Chad series, but that still leaves hundreds of great titles to pick from. VMP has the advantage, being a subscription service, of having a high number of locked in sales, whch AS does not, and Chad doesn't do risk.
- There are not really all that many rules that can't find exceptions now and then. I'm sure nobody here drives at precisly the speed limit and never over, and I'll bet many resoultions to lose weight get broken when passing a Krispy Kreme.
- Assuming VMP do an Impulse box, and the pickings there for master tapes are VERY slim, it would be part of the license deal that they do a title outside the box - it helps sell the anthology to have a single title in subscriber hands before an anthology launches. Think Stax, and BN.
- Master tapes for all the titles mentioned so far are iffy at best, as they are all Universal titles. Up in smoke. BUT - there are tapes for most, just second gen obtained from foreign subsidiaries. Anything is possible (except Yusef Lateef, which apparently are all gone).

Back