Vinyl Me Please Classics

The first song is maybe a little disco-y, but I don’t get that vibe at all from the other tracks. I’m not too versed in the disco or funk eras, but it’s been my limited experience that disco doesn’t have guitar like what’s on Voyage to Atlantis or Go For Your Guns. Plus Footsteps in the Dark has been sampled so much in hip hop, it’s neat to see the source.

It’s cool folks don’t dig the album. Im just trying (probably badly) to explain why I’m stoked for it.

Did anyone get the TVZ from a few months back? How does it sound compared to the Fat Possum reissues? I'm not feeling this IB at all and I'm thinking TVZ might be my swap this go around.

I don't get the excitement. I like the Brother Isley's first period, specially The Brothers : Isley & Givin' it back, but this album feels like bad cheesy disco funk. I don't get it really.

And the two other picks are doing nothing for me too. I hope there is something interesting in the swaps.
I don't think it's tooooo discoey, but there is a disco remix of that first song. I don't get why they picked this one. I haven't listened to much isley bros even though I like funk way more than most people, but I listened to 3 + 3 after this and liked it way more. Both at first listen though, so who knows.

I don't think it's tooooo discoey, but there is a disco remix of that first song. I don't get why they picked this one. I haven't listened to much isley bros even though I like funk way more than most people, but I listened to 3 + 3 after this and liked it way more. Both at first listen though, so who knows.

I really would bet they picked this one due to its hip-hop connection. That provides another marketing opportunity

I really would bet they picked this one due to its hip-hop connection. That provides another marketing opportunity
That was my first thought too but in my opinion it is a terrible reason to pick a whole album on the classics track. I bet there is some good hip hop that samples from 3+3 but probably not as popular.

Last edited:

That was my first though too but in my opinion it is a terrible reason to pick a whole album on the classics track. I bet there is some good hip hop that samples from 3+3 but probably not as popular.
Ooh part of That Lady is in i by Kendrick Lamar a few times. Not as iconic and recognizable as that great sample from footsteps in the dark though.

Do you think it's the Isleys' best?
That’s not really the point though. VMP’s MO has never been pressing what may be considered the “best” album of an artists/groups disco. It’s always been the underrated classic for lack of better words.

Everyone knows the best records from every artist. That would make for insanely boring curation.

Did anyone get the TVZ from a few months back? How does it sound compared to the Fat Possum reissues? I'm not feeling this IB at all and I'm thinking TVZ might be my swap this go around.

I have that one. FWIW, according to Discogs both the oringal Fat Possum vinyl and the VMP one were cut by Jason Ward. There are some deadwax variations, so he could have cut another lacquer, but it very well could just be from the same batch. VMP did claim to have gotten it "remastered" by Jason Ward, but as we know here they are very lax and often confused to what that term actually means.

I don't think it sounds too hot, but that's more down to the recording anyways. Not sure if another vinyl mastering engineer could fix what is baked into the master tape. That said it's a good album and it likely can't sound any better.

That’s not really the point though. VMP’s MO has never been pressing what may be considered the “best” album of an artists/groups disco. It’s always been the underrated classic for lack of better words.

Everyone knows the best records from every artist. That would make for insanely boring curation.
I guess I disagree that their MO is underrated classics with any consistency. It seems like they have pressed plenty of the most popular or well regarded albums. Nina, Alice, Al, etc. Many more. A few are underrated, like Veedon. Some aren't underrated, just properly rated as an artists first album that they improved upon, like TVZ and Tidal. I don't see any consistency on that front.

Whether or not something has been reissued recently or pressed before is sometimes considered, but often it seems just so they can use it for marketing and sometimes they don't care and put one out that is readily available, like Phoenix and Tical. In this case, this one hasn't been reissued but originals are available for dirt cheap.

I'm a bad person to rate this album because I've never liked the Isleys as much as PFunk, Curtis, Sly, or the Meters. But, I don't agree that this is a lost classic like Experience Unlimited or even Baby Huey. It's a record that is still in bargain bins with some good music on it.

If you think it's a stone cold classic that's cool and I'm genuinely happy for you this month, but I don't see why you are surprised that others aren't feeling it and wish it was either an Isleys album they prefer or something else. I disagree with your assertion that everyone knows the best Isley Bros albums, especially considering how underappreciated and maligned funk is as a whole.

I'll listen to it a few more times and who knows, I might come around (or I might take a chance on eBay and try to get an OG for <$10).

Edit: Oops, I forgot to say that I really would love to read why you think it is a classic album if you want to write it out. I mean that genuinely.

I guess I disagree that their MO is underrated classics with any consistency. It seems like they have pressed plenty of the most popular or well regarded albums. Nina, Alice, Al, etc. Many more. A few are underrated, like Veedon. Some aren't underrated, just properly rated as an artists first album that they improved upon, like TVZ and Tidal. I don't see any consistency on that front.
The way I interpreted what @radiodead was saying was in regards to the Classics track/sub only, not in general. If that's the case, I do think it's sort of the underrated/forgotten "classics" they go for. For the Essentials sub - much less consistency to the picks, like you said.

Looks like i’ll be in for Classics only this month. Leanest one in ages for me, with no preorders pending either.

Not going to argue any merits, but I enjoy the album and I’m happy to get a copy of this.

Back