Vinyl Me Please Classics

As someone who’s never heard it, what made it so heavily panned? Monk and Oliver Nelson with a big band sounds pretty intriguing... on paper, at least.

As someone who’s never heard it, what made it so heavily panned? Monk and Oliver Nelson with a big band sounds pretty intriguing... on paper, at least.

It sounds a bit ordinary, which is not what you want with Monk. I think someone called it a Hollywood arrangement of Monk classics.

This gives me hope because it doesn’t sound like it’ll be Jarreau. In addition to him not being an unarguable genius (lol) I don’t think Glow is considered overlooked by any definition.
Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!!! 🎯💵💡💯

I feel like after this clue, it won't be Al Jarreau either! Fingers crossed it's not him! 🤞

It’s Storf has VMP ever released an ROTM from someone who wasn’t an “inarguable genius” ?
I bet it’s Gza (the genius) For RHH and Monk (he has the album Genius of Modern Music). It’s inarguable because they are both called geniuses at one point or another in their careers.

Last edited:
The numbers clues would still be up in the air then, because these wouldn't be billboard chart numbers no?
I meant that was more of part of Storf’s clue saying it was famously overlooked. Wasn’t met with as much fan fare as his other work and didn’t sell well.

I meant that was more of part of Storf’s clue saying it was famously overlooked. Wasn’t met with as much fan fare as his other work and didn’t sell well.
Oh I know I just mean we still haven't locked down WHAT those numbers are.

Oh I know I just mean we still haven't locked down WHAT those numbers are.
I never bought into them being billboard chart numbers. It’s too random and vague a clue and was unlikely to fit both categories. It’s probably something simple that we are overlooking...

I never bought into them being billboard chart numbers. It’s too random and vague a clue and was unlikely to fit both categories. It’s probably something simple that we are overlooking...

Catalogue number is "FC 132"

Of course, why an album released seven years after his death would cause Monk to have a public, unique display of consternation I dunno. 🤷‍♂️

Back