Vinyl Me Please Classics

I wonder if there will be a different rate for 6 months. If it's something like this then I'll be out. It's a shame to go but that's the way it goes sometimes.
Yeah, I've been there since before the classics sub started. I have all the classics, and itxwill hurt my completions self, but I go month to month, and I cannot justify $43 per record. That's just crazy. They must have an alternative plan for the business, otherwise they will be out of business soon at the new prices.

I just canceled my membership. I wrote the following in the space provided:

I notice that you can only choose just one option for leaving, but it's really #2, #4 and #7. I loved VMP when I signed up and I was a big supporter, even starting a thread about it on the Hoffman Forums. But the state of VMP has made it so that I can no longer continue to support you. First, the price increase is ridiculous and will probably drive you out of business. I'm sure that you're aware of the poll or reddit which stands at nearly 1,700 saying that they are going to cancel while less that 170 indicating that they will keep subscribing. While hardly scientific, it should be setting off alarm bells. That being said, I'm not sure that anyone will hear them. Based on what I've seen recently, customer service, quality control and logistics seem to be a dumpster fire over there, which rightfully lead people to believe that this is one of the main reasons for the nearly 50% price increase. There are the well documented cases of people receiving dozens of copies of the same album while others had to wait months. I myself have yet to receive Sahara while others have received several replacement copies. All while the album is listed as "In Stock" on the site.

I realize that different albums are considered classics by different people and that genera preference and individual taste are big factors. I also realize that people can have genuine disagreements about what constitutes a "classic" album. While I don't consider Straight form the Heart a classic, many do and I respect that pick. But I cannot understand Albert King (while a fun album), Mr. Hands, Money talks and Impressions of Japan. While I like Impressions of Japan and Mr. Hands, I would argue that both of these artists have many more "classic" albums that the albums that were chosen. And if September is indeed Al Jarreau... Yikes. I really liked the albums that the classic track started off with, but the recent picks have me scratching my head.

I am sad to leave VMP and will always be grateful to the company for opening me up to several artists that I would have never listened to had I not been a subscriber and I genuinely think that you put out a superior product to much of what is out there these days. But I feel that your company, through it's poor customer service, quality control and logistics as well as this suicidal price increase has made it impossible for me to stay.

I have been a subscriber of Essentials since 2017 and added Classics shortly there after. Today i dropped Classics and will drop Essentials when my annual sub ends. You can get any of the records off Discogs if you really want them and only a few with a huge markup. 23 to 33 isn't a rate increase, it's an insult. I am voting with the only thing they may listen to. My wallet.

Crossposting from the Blues, Funk and Soul thread:

I recently came across funkmysoul.gr and love it! Anyone else visit this site? They do short reviews of old funk and soul albums weekly(ish) and it's introduced me to a ton of new stuff. The website isn't the best and the writing may not be the best either but I think a lot of you would enjoy it. They have two sections: Latest Albums with Reviews and Latest Albums without Reviews, but each of them have write-ups on the album so I'm honestly not too sure what the difference is haha Anyway, if you like old funk and soul I think it's worth checking out!

For those of you dropping Classics but still looking to fill the curation side of the house, check out funkmysoul.gr. They aren't pressing records or anything, but about once a week they release new reviews of old soul and funk albums and they've introduced me to a ton of new music. They actually reviewed a bunch of the previous Classics titles years ago, so you could have still found them without VMP haha. Anyway, I've been enjoying it so I figured I would see if anyone else visits the site, and if not, potentially introduce folks who may be interested to the site.

Crossposting from the Blues, Funk and Soul thread:

For those of you dropping Classics but still looking to fill the curation side of the house, check out funkmysoul.gr. They aren't pressing records or anything, but about once a week they release new reviews of old soul and funk albums and they've introduced me to a ton of new music. They actually reviewed a bunch of the previous Classics titles years ago, so you could have still found them without VMP haha. Anyway, I've been enjoying it so I figured I would see if anyone else visits the site, and if not, potentially introduce folks who may be interested to the site.

Thank you!

Just got done spinning Money Talks, and it is legitimately one of the better sounding records they have released on the Classics track. As happy as I am to have this in my collection, I am equally sad because the company and service do not live up to the high quality product they are often capable of putting out.

It really sucks that they are more or less forcing my hand in cancelling my sub. I will still return on a monthly basis if they really tickle my fancy with one of their releases, but I'll never be ordering boxes of 3-5 records like I was for most of 2018 and 2019.

Which does beg a question to me - they have thousands of records collecting dust in their warehouse. How do they plan on moving these? I don't understand how they think a 30% increase in their price for add ons is going to relieve their dead inventory issue.

Just got done spinning Money Talks, and it is legitimately one of the better sounding records they have released on the Classics track. As happy as I am to have this in my collection, I am equally sad because the company and service do not live up to the high quality product they are often capable of putting out.

It really sucks that they are more or less forcing my hand in cancelling my sub. I will still return on a monthly basis if they really tickle my fancy with one of their releases, but I'll never be ordering boxes of 3-5 records like I was for most of 2018 and 2019.

Which does beg a question to me - they have thousands of records collecting dust in their warehouse. How do they plan on moving these? I don't understand how they think a 30% increase in their price for add ons is going to relieve their dead inventory issue.
Well I'm happy to hear this. Part of the reason I got this one is that i figured a AAA pressing of this would absolutely kick ass in terms of dynamics and sound quality. Glad to hear it appears it does. Now... I just need a shipping notice for... anything...

I'm glad to hear it sounds so good. My plan was to grab all the classics this year. . I was hoping Money Talks would be similar to how great the Isleys sounded last year. As far as dumping current stock I think they'll have some flash sales down the road or ship some off to Bespoke box.

I'm glad to hear it sounds so good. My plan was to grab all the classics this year. . I was hoping Money Talks would be similar to how great the Isleys sounded last year. As far as dumping current stock I think they'll have some flash sales down the road or ship some off to Bespoke box.
Yeah its right in line with that Isley Bros album, though I think this one actually sounds better. You'll have to hear it for yourself on your system, but to my ears, and especially with the new subwoofer I added a couple weeks ago, this one takes the cake.

Yeah its right in line with that Isley Bros album, though I think this one actually sounds better. You'll have to hear it for yourself on your system, but to my ears, and especially with the new subwoofer I added a couple weeks ago, this one takes the cake.
My 800 watt B10 is looking forward to blowing my windows out with Holy Ghost.

New clue (sort of) from Storf:

"Both albums are by unarguable geniuses (and if anyone denies, they’re wrong, not me this time) but both albums have been famously overlooked, causing each artist to display unique public consternation."
Ugh, this sound like he’s already making excuses “famously overlooked” in other words it’s likely a great artists 10th best album.

cool.

Ugh, this sound like he’s already making excuses “famously overlooked” in other words it’s likely a great artists 10th best album.

cool.
Am I reading it right that he's saying they are on record as complaining that the albums weren't well received?

Is Al Jarreau considered an unarguable genius?

Back