Vinyl Me Please Anthology

I would be interest to hear if any of you guys that picked up this VMP Blue Note Box set also has the latest (Vol 2) of the Blue Note Review, and how you would compare the 2 in terms of value? It could be an interesting comparison seeing as the price point is relatively similar (cost me $210 for the Review and I believe the Anthology was $230)

I picked up Vol 2 of the Review knowing it was a steep price to pay, but saw it as a one off 'high end' piece. The pressings are superb, and the overall quality is up there as the best set out of all my collection. I could give or take a few of the extras in favor of an extra record, but they were a nice touch non the less. The 2 booklets included are superb content wise, and a wide range of top musicians from the Blue Note roster were interviewed. Overall there are 3 records (2 reissues and 1 2lp exclusive compilation), 2 lithographic prints, 'trading' cards, 1 magazine, 1 'book', record brush in a Blue Note bag, CD of the comp, and the box to house it all. With the VMP Anthology (and correct me if im wrong) theres 6 reissues (a few which would be difficult to acquire other pressings?), 1 magazine, Don Was podcast/ama, access to the facebook group, the box to house it all.
Blue Note Review is executed very well, the price might be a little steep, but because of how it was priced I was pretty happy with the VMP Anthology price. I believe the Review albums will be exclusive to the box for quite a long time as that is one of the selling points.

I disagree with your disagreement and I'll explain why.

VMP's LinkedIn has a link to 32 employees. If they're all current (probably not) that's a staggering amount. Light In The Attic puts out their own records and is also a distributor for something like 150 other labels, and they have about 15 employees. And 4 of those employees just do licensing, which I doubt VMP has anyone do.
I bet a lot of those people generate content, LITA doesn’t do that for their releases. Besides I don’t think LITA does 30k records a month at least.

LITA isn't the best example as they laid off a bunch of people at the beginning of the year because they only have like 1 new release on their schedule for the year.

I would be interest to hear if any of you guys that picked up this VMP Blue Note Box set also has the latest (Vol 2) of the Blue Note Review, and how you would compare the 2 in terms of value? It could be an interesting comparison seeing as the price point is relatively similar (cost me $210 for the Review and I believe the Anthology was $230)

I picked up Vol 2 of the Review knowing it was a steep price to pay, but saw it as a one off 'high end' piece. The pressings are superb, and the overall quality is up there as the best set out of all my collection. I could give or take a few of the extras in favor of an extra record, but they were a nice touch non the less. The 2 booklets included are superb content wise, and a wide range of top musicians from the Blue Note roster were interviewed. Overall there are 3 records (2 reissues and 1 2lp exclusive compilation), 2 lithographic prints, 'trading' cards, 1 magazine, 1 'book', record brush in a Blue Note bag, CD of the comp, and the box to house it all. With the VMP Anthology (and correct me if im wrong) theres 6 reissues (a few which would be difficult to acquire other pressings?), 1 magazine, Don Was podcast/ama, access to the facebook group, the box to house it all.

I debated this, but compilations tend to really bother me. I think it's diminutive to the musician. If I'm going to listen to somebody on vinyl, I actually want to spend some substantial time listening to just them. So most of the time, I avoid compilations.

It wasn't a magazine so much as a poorly bound, sloppily written liner notes booklet. The main and really only valuable part of the set were the 6 (7 really because one was a 2xLP) albums.

BN Review seems really excessive to me in terms of pricing, so not sure I'd ever pick it up. As you said, Anthology contained twice as much music with albums that have been out of print for a long time and one that has never been on vinyl. I can do without the extras in either box set personally. It does sound like the extras in BN Review are WAY better though.

I got mine in a cardboard mailer as well. I wonder if it was random or if there was some type of distinguishing factor over who got a cardboard mailer. What do you think of the notes MikeH?
Only took a brief flip through to make sure there that the pages were actually there and no duplicates or damage as others have had. Will sit down and read it tonight or tomorrow! I sort of wish it was hard-cover, but...

By all accounts, the Blue Note Review box is top notch quality and executed well on all counts. For me, what it comes down to is the content. That print of Elvin is nice and I'd probably frame that one up if I had it, but beyond that the extras really don't mean that much to me. So, that leaves 5 LPs and a 2LP for $230 vs. 2 LPs and a 2 LP compilation that I don't imagine will get more than a couple listens for slightly less than that. It's a no brainer. Even given all the fuckups and terrible execution all around by VMP, the Anthology is a better value by a long shot. Recently, I came into a nice chunk of money and went splurging on nearly two grand in jazz albums. I looked at the BN Review many times throughout this period and could never pull the trigger on it. Why would I when it was either 2 albums I'd really enjoy many times vs. 3-4 MM albums or even more of AP releases or other quality pressings? By just about any measure, it is not worth the money to me.

We’re sorry that your liner notes booklet was damaged during shipping. Releasing the Anthology has been a learning experience for us at every step, and we recognize now that bubble mailers were not the ideal shipping method for the booklets.

We will be happy to replace your booklet, and will ship a new booklet with the replacement shipment that includes the corrected ‘Dexter Calling’ jacket and ‘Schizophrenia’ disc. We expect that shipment to process and ship in late July/early August, and we will send an email with shipping and tracking info once that’s headed your way.

Thank you for your patience and understanding. Please let me know if there’s anything else I can help you with.

-Paul
Customer Support Lead • Vinyl Me, Pleas

it's comical at this point.

They get complaints every month about crushed corners on their vinyl in a box. Not one of them took a step back and thought about the damage of a booklet in a padded mailer? Not one of them thought about this and thought, if I were paying 230 for this, how would I feel about messed up jackets, labels etc or this shoddy community? It’s like first year college students slapping a major project together at the last minute and expecting an A.

Well I’m gonna to go then. And I don’t need any of this. I don’t need this stuff, and I don’t need you. I don’t need anything except this. And that’s it and that’s the only thing I need, is this. I don’t need this or this. Just this Dexter jacket. And this Horace Silver replacement, the Dexter jacket and the Horace Silver replacement and that’s all I need. And this Wayne Shorter repress. The Dexter jacket, the Horace Silver replacement, and the Wayne Shorter repress, and that’s all I need. And these booklets. The Dexter jacket, and these booklets, and the Wayne Shorter repress and the Horace Silver replacement. And this foil stamp. The Dexter jacket, this Horace Silver replacement and the Wayne Shorter repress and the foil stamp and that’s all I need. And that’s all I need too. I don’t need one other thing, not one – I need this. The Horace Silver replacement, and the discount codes, and the Wayne Shorter repress, and the booklets, for sure. And this. And that’s all I need. The Dexter jacket, the Horace Silver replacement, the Wayne Shorter repress, this live event and the discount codes.

Last edited:
Well I’m gonna to go then. And I don’t need any of this. I don’t need this stuff, and I don’t need you. I don’t need anything except this. And that’s it and that’s the only thing I need, is this. I don’t need this or this. Just this Dexter jacket. And this Horace Silver replacement, the Dexter jacket and the Horace Silver replacement and that’s all I need. And this Wayne Shorter repress. The Dexter jacket, the Horace Silver replacement, and the Wayne Shorter repress, and that’s all I need. And these booklets. The Dexter jacket, and these booklets, and the Wayne Shorter repress and the Horace Silver replacement. And this foil stamp. The Dexter jacket, this Horace Silver replacement and the Wayne Shorter replacement and the foil stamp and that’s all I need. And that’s all I need too. I don’t need one other thing, not one – I need this. The Horace Silver replacement, and the discount codes, and the Wayne Shorter repress, and the booklets, for sure. And this. And that’s all I need. The Dexter jacket, the Horace Silver replacement, the Wayne Shorter repress, this live event and the discount codes.
Sorry, I'd Photoshop in some blue notes if I knew how to easily.

emma-the-jerk_610.jpg

Well I’m gonna to go then. And I don’t need any of this. I don’t need this stuff, and I don’t need you. I don’t need anything except this. And that’s it and that’s the only thing I need, is this. I don’t need this or this. Just this Dexter jacket. And this Horace Silver replacement, the Dexter jacket and the Horace Silver replacement and that’s all I need. And this Wayne Shorter repress. The Dexter jacket, the Horace Silver replacement, and the Wayne Shorter repress, and that’s all I need. And these booklets. The Dexter jacket, and these booklets, and the Wayne Shorter repress and the Horace Silver replacement. And this foil stamp. The Dexter jacket, this Horace Silver replacement and the Wayne Shorter replacement and the foil stamp and that’s all I need. And that’s all I need too. I don’t need one other thing, not one – I need this. The Horace Silver replacement, and the discount codes, and the Wayne Shorter repress, and the booklets, for sure. And this. And that’s all I need. The Dexter jacket, the Horace Silver replacement, the Wayne Shorter repress, this live event and the discount codes.

I always think of this:

Back