Vintage Equipment

Its interesting on how it changes from user to user, I tried different cork mats and always had a static problem with cork. The acrylic worked best, then we moved to the UD, so that problem became a non-problem. With the PLX, tried cork, acrylic and the achromat, achromat came out on top for me.
I'm trying to remember what I ended with when I had the PLX1000.. I believe I settled on a Herbies Mat for that one over the others. I had actually forgotten about the Herbies.. I should try that on here too maybe..

Last edited:
I have heard good things about cork & rubber "composite" mats as well.

I take it your keeping the Thoren's in now and like it ?
I love it.. i picked it up to hold myself over while my UltraDeck was out for service, thinking it was going to be 8-10 weeks. Ultradeck coming back tomorrow after only a few weeks, so I'll have some comparisons to do and decisions to make. I may run them both but not sure..

Just listened to Rumours.. loudly. It doesn’t fall apart, but I’m feeling like my memory of the UltraDeck is that it’s more quiet, and it handles any volume flawlessly. I’m 99% sure the MoFi is going to be quieter than the Thorens. What I’m not sure of is how much better it will sound. I mean, I’m really loving the TD160/DL-103 Combo. 56E7F45A-717F-490C-A481-D374B914B2A3.jpeg

Just listened to Rumours.. loudly. It doesn’t fall apart, but I’m feeling like my memory of the UltraDeck is that it’s more quiet, and it handles any volume flawlessly. I’m 99% sure the MoFi is going to be quieter than the Thorens. What I’m not sure of is how much better it will sound. I mean, I’m really loving the TD160/DL-103 Combo. View attachment 93871
You could always put the Denon on the Ultradeck. It’s perfect for that arm.

Just listened to Rumours.. loudly. It doesn’t fall apart, but I’m feeling like my memory of the UltraDeck is that it’s more quiet, and it handles any volume flawlessly. I’m 99% sure the MoFi is going to be quieter than the Thorens. What I’m not sure of is how much better it will sound. I mean, I’m really loving the TD160/DL-103 Combo. View attachment 93871

You could always put the Denon on the Ultradeck. It’s perfect for that arm.
The 103R sounds fantastic on the UD..........just sayin'

So after a long weekend spent listening to both tables, I’ve decided to keep and run both in my setup because, well.. why the heck not?

The UltraDeck will stay on my main stand, hooked directly to the L-550 via phono in using my Cardas Parsec interconnects.

The Thorens will be hooked up to a Rega Fono MC that I picked up this weekend
and run to the line in on the L-550. Setting it up on the kallax shelf with a new lava lamp to make a little retro nook.

After listening to both over the weekend I just decided I didn’t want to give either of them up. The UD is clearly the more refined machine, but the Thorens is a blast to use and doesn’t fall very short in the sound department and to me (and the wife FWIW) the Thorens is just a beautiful machine. I’m actually toying with the idea of building a Walnut plinth for the UD.

More to come with the Thorens!! 9FF989D7-4A33-4A2F-A797-475A7B386714.jpegimage.jpg

So after a long weekend spent listening to both tables, I’ve decided to keep and run both in my setup because, well.. why the heck not?

The UltraDeck will stay on my main stand, hooked directly to the L-550 via phono in using my Cardas Parsec interconnects.

and run to the line in on the L-550. Setting it up on the kallax shelf with a new lava lamp to make a little retro nook.

After listening to both over the weekend I just decided I didn’t want to give either of them up. The UD is clearly the more refined machine, but the Thorens is a blast to use and doesn’t fall very short in the sound department and to me (and the wife FWIW) the Thorens is just a beautiful machine. I’m actually toying with the idea of building a Walnut plinth for the UD.

More to come with the Thorens!! View attachment 94405View attachment 94407
Bravo! A man after my own heart. I recently purchased a Clearaudio Concept Wood, but I've kept my Dual 1219 in the system as well. Fortunately, my Gold Note phono pre-amp has two inputs that each can handle MM and MC carts, so I'm good to go. (Unfortunately that still leaves me with two other Thorens tables and a Bogen/Lenco sitting idle :(.)

Love that Billy Joel photo!

Last edited:
Bravo! A man after my own heart. I recently purchased a Clearaudio Concept Wood, but I've kept my Dual 1219 in the system as well. Fortunately, my Gold Note phono pre-amp has two inputs that each can handle MM and MC carts, so I'm good to go. (Unfortunately that still leaves me with two other Thorens tables and a Bogen/Lenco sitting idle :(.)

Love that Billy Joel photo!
"Bogen/Lenco sitting idle". I see what you did there...

More to come with the Thorens!! View attachment 94405View attachment 94407
If I had a vision board, it would be filled with pics of your room.

Got my Rega Fono MC a day early.. so the Thorens is getting its first run in its new set up. I just love using this table.
Chose to hold this album that I got from the Art Dudley collection to give it the first spin. Glad to have it. 28D814D8-9694-4DA9-8FD2-EC4B2D5212B7.jpegD90C0AEA-8ED5-4BF4-BCB6-F9F3604FFF78.jpeg

Got my Rega Fono MC a day early.. so the Thorens is getting its first run in its new set up. I just love using this table.
Chose to hold this album that I got from the Art Dudley collection to give it the first spin. Glad to have it. View attachment 95133View attachment 95134
In related news, I misread the specs of the Fono MC and it’s gain settings are too high (63 and 66 roughly) for the DL-103 which is pushing out .39mv. So out that goes. Going to try the Tube Box S2 since it has gains of both 53 and 60. I’m not looking to dump a ton of money into this 2nd table so really just wanting the ability to load it properly.

In related news, I misread the specs of the Fono MC and it’s gain settings are too high (63 and 66 roughly) for the DL-103 which is pushing out .39mv. So out that goes. Going to try the Tube Box S2 since it has gains of both 53 and 60. I’m not looking to dump a ton of money into this 2nd table so really just wanting the ability to load it properly.
63dB gain isn’t a deal breaker. If it sounds good, it is good. 😎

63dB gain isn’t a deal breaker. If it sounds good, it is good. 😎
Volume less than half what is needed with the UD (which itself is only at 9am on the Luxman) and it sounds like its just too much input. Bought them both used, so the outlay isn't too much. I'll try the Pro-ject and see what happens.

The TD-160 is back in the prime spot, and now being fed into a Luxman E-250 Phono Pre. The Denon and E-250 are new so no real point discussing sound, but quickly comparing the E-250 to the onboard on the L550axII, which I’ve always thought sounded great, shows a pretty significant improvement in soundstage, instrument separation and clarity. 1B079019-7972-4400-B61D-263F70D42BA3.jpeg

The TD-160 is back in the prime spot, and now being fed into a Luxman E-250 Phono Pre. The Denon and E-250 are new so no real point discussing sound, but quickly comparing the E-250 to the onboard on the L550axII, which I’ve always thought sounded great, shows a pretty significant improvement in soundstage, instrument separation and clarity. View attachment 96839
Looking at the E-250, I notice it accepts two different turntables or arms. Is your plan to run the Thorens and the future 1200G thru it, rather than a separate unit like the Rega that didn't work out?

My 1967 McIntosh Mac 1700 Hybrid Receiver fully refurbished now (main caps and some other things) sounding just absolutely splendid. 2 Phono Inputs, Mono switch, EQ, Loudness, Headphone Amp, and killer Tube Tuner. It is driving 78' Klipsch Cornwall Decorator I's.

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_2a7.jpg

Last edited:
Looking at the E-250, I notice it accepts two different turntables or arms. Is your plan to run the Thorens and the future 1200G thru it, rather than a separate unit like the Rega that didn't work out?
Yup, it sure can.. I had both the TD-160 and the UltraDeck hooked into it.

As for future use, once I grabbed the E-250 I knew that I'd likely be selling off both the UD and the Thorens (and the subs and the Rega..lol) to offset some of the costs. Plus, switching inputs on the E-250 is easy enough with a switch on the front, but you do have to change the pots on the back as well when going from a MM to a MC..

Since the wait for the Technics seems to clearly be several months if not longer, I'm giving some thought to trying out a new Thorens TD1601 in the interim and seeing if it grabs me like the TD-160.

Yup, it sure can.. I had both the TD-160 and the UltraDeck hooked into it.

As for future use, once I grabbed the E-250 I knew that I'd likely be selling off both the UD and the Thorens (and the subs and the Rega..lol) to offset some of the costs. Plus, switching inputs on the E-250 is easy enough with a switch on the front, but you do have to change the pots on the back as well when going from a MM to a MC..

Since the wait for the Technics seems to clearly be several months if not longer, I'm giving some thought to trying out a new Thorens TD1601 in the interim and seeing if it grabs me like the TD-160.
Wow, ok, so lots in flux. Gotta nail it down before those school bills arrive! Are your kids into the stereo at all? I have two young ones and they like music a lot, but too young to just sit and listen. I have big hopes they pick up their dad's two hobbies when they're older (listening to music and brewing beer)

Back