Upcoming/Recent Shows

Regina Spektor / Norah Jones at the Rady Shell, San Diego

Lovely evening on the waterfront. Newer venue typically used for the San Diego Symphony, sound is impeccable, even from the back. Great performances from both artists. Regina solo, and Norah with a small band. They did a duet of Tom Petty's "Angel Dream (number 2)".

Regina Spektor at sunset

View attachment 144263

Norah Jones

View attachment 144264
That venue looks great! Will have to try and catch a show there soon.

Saw Midnight Oil on their farewell tour two nights ago ans they are still one of my favorite live acts. They played a high intensity 2h+ set and a pretty great setlist of songs from the ages. If you have the chance to stop by one of the other tour steps it´s definitely worth it.
here is one from earlier in the tour and one from the berlin show i saw

Saw Midnight Oil on their farewell tour two nights ago ans they are still one of my favorite live acts. They played a high intensity 2h+ set and a pretty great setlist of songs from the ages. If you have the chance to stop by one of the other tour steps it´s definitely worth it.
here is one from earlier in the tour and one from the berlin show i saw

We saw them in NYC, Philly & DC (I posted some pix upthread) DC was my husband's and my 10th Oils show together since 1990. So happy to have been on the rail for our last ever show. Converted a 2 second video from that night into this gif. :LOL:

PGClap.gif

I don’t have any pics but I took my daughter to her first show last night to see Brandi Carlile, Tanya Tucker, & Katie Pruitt.

Brandi was great as always. Matt Chamberlain was playing drums for her and Shooter Jennings was playing keys.

Highlight was Katie Pruitt coming out and signing ‘Mainstream Kid’ with Brandi during the encore.

Two more recent shows.

James Taylor was my second of three (thankfully only three, that venue has really taken a downturn) shows this year in Gilford, NH. This was pretty much a straight shot of a James Taylor show - no opener, no special guests, just him and his band on stage for a couple hours and change. I've had a lot of fondness for James Taylor for over half my life now, his voice and songs are like a warm blanket. The show was interesting mostly because, for a man in his mid-seventies with a solidified catalog...he did a lot of deeper cuts. Maybe half of Greatest Hits Vol 1 and Vol 2 and a lot of deeper dives or covers. He still sounded really darn good for a mid-70s musician who had some rough times, so I don't think that'll be disappointing, I guess I am just surprised he didn't play You've Got A Friend or Country Road or How Sweet It Is. I feel like with so many of my favorite comedians and musicians passing recently, taking the chance to see those who may only have so many more tours is an approach I'll continue.

Orebolo is the acoustic side project of three members of the jam band Goose. Since we saw them at BC my girlfriend has been on a big Goose kick so when we saw this at a small venue in Mass, it felt like a good flier. This was...seriously impressive. I know one of the things that the jam band folks tend to insist upon is that it's not just long songs and journey but a lot of skilled play. I'd probably say the acoustic guitar and standup bass playing was up there with shows I've seen that highlighted those instruments. Not virtuosos but really dang talented. I also found it a bit easier to appreciate the work in an acoustic setting. Three Dead covers (Tennessee Jed was the standout) along with Tears for Fears (Mad World), Radiohead (Weird Fishes), Elvis (Marie's The Name His Latest Flame), and a ton of Goose songs rounded out the setlist. I totally get not liking it and I can already feel like some of the fans at the show we were at are going to be...not appreciated, but the music itself is really dang good. We'll be looking out for more sets.

PXL_20220707_015021909.MP.jpg

Two more recent shows.

James Taylor was my second of three (thankfully only three, that venue has really taken a downturn) shows this year in Gilford, NH. This was pretty much a straight shot of a James Taylor show - no opener, no special guests, just him and his band on stage for a couple hours and change. I've had a lot of fondness for James Taylor for over half my life now, his voice and songs are like a warm blanket. The show was interesting mostly because, for a man in his mid-seventies with a solidified catalog...he did a lot of deeper cuts. Maybe half of Greatest Hits Vol 1 and Vol 2 and a lot of deeper dives or covers. He still sounded really darn good for a mid-70s musician who had some rough times, so I don't think that'll be disappointing, I guess I am just surprised he didn't play You've Got A Friend or Country Road or How Sweet It Is. I feel like with so many of my favorite comedians and musicians passing recently, taking the chance to see those who may only have so many more tours is an approach I'll continue.

Orebolo is the acoustic side project of three members of the jam band Goose. Since we saw them at BC my girlfriend has been on a big Goose kick so when we saw this at a small venue in Mass, it felt like a good flier. This was...seriously impressive. I know one of the things that the jam band folks tend to insist upon is that it's not just long songs and journey but a lot of skilled play. I'd probably say the acoustic guitar and standup bass playing was up there with shows I've seen that highlighted those instruments. Not virtuosos but really dang talented. I also found it a bit easier to appreciate the work in an acoustic setting. Three Dead covers (Tennessee Jed was the standout) along with Tears for Fears (Mad World), Radiohead (Weird Fishes), Elvis (Marie's The Name His Latest Flame), and a ton of Goose songs rounded out the setlist. I totally get not liking it and I can already feel like some of the fans at the show we were at are going to be...not appreciated, but the music itself is really dang good. We'll be looking out for more sets.

View attachment 145096
We went to Goose's festival, FredFest, last summer in Arrington, VA. Got to see Orebolo then and they really put on a great set. When they toured earlier this year (I think in January) there weren't any shows close enough to us that we were able to make it to.

i am going to see Animal Collective live tonight, i am so excited!!!! this is my first time seeing them, i am hoping they play “FloriDada” tonight lol

@Woob_woob did you see them on this tour?? or other times in general? i would like to hear your thoughts about anco live since this time it’s the whole band (as opposed to all but deakin or just panda and avey)

all right, so yea, Animal Collective was awesome last night!!

i was hoping they would play a set with more songs from time skiffs as opposed to one with fewer, since their setlist varies by date. last night’s setlist was probably the best case-scenario i could have hoped, it was a lot of time skiffs songs with a mix of everything else (no floridada tho lol)
set sounded great overall! it was also cool seeing panda bear behind the drum kit in this live setting. im so used to panda being a producer/multi-instrumentalist that i forget his start in anco was more for his drumming technique, it was surreal seeing that demonstrated live in his element!

551AECFE-B4C6-418A-8723-F5574827A7AD.jpeg

i am going to see Animal Collective live tonight, i am so excited!!!! this is my first time seeing them, i am hoping they play “FloriDada” tonight lol

@Woob_woob did you see them on this tour?? or other times in general? i would like to hear your thoughts about anco live since this time it’s the whole band (as opposed to all but deakin or just panda and avey)
Yea I did see them on this tour. They played everything I wanted to hear off of Time Skiffs except Prestor John, and added a handful of classics in as well. I also saw one of their last shows before the pandemic and they played a few songs that aren't on Time Skiffs that were really good. There's rumors they have another album out either this year or early next.

The only time I've seen them play Floridada was on the Painting With Tour

Cross post from my status update:

Has anyone been to a show at a Cumberland Caverns? Is it as cool as it looks? I'm considering grabbing tickets to a show in October.

I had to refund my tickets because I couldn’t make the makeup date on Monday for the Jack Johnson show in Hartford,CT that was canceled because he got COVID. Small replacement but his set is being streamed free from the Levitate fest tonight 8-10ET

Streaming Events | NoCap Shows

Rage and RTJ tonight! I’ve been waiting to see them since I was 14 or 15. To say I’m excited is an understatement.
So this was amazing. Didn’t take any good pictures cause I was in the lawn. Only beef was Zach didn’t come out with RTJ and Rage played straight with no encore. Could of used another two or three songs. It might have been a curfew thing not sure. Still really didn’t matter it was very high energy and I loved it. ABORT THE SUPREME COURT!

So this was amazing. Didn’t take any good pictures cause I was in the lawn. Only beef was Zach didn’t come out with RTJ and Rage played straight with no encore. Could of used another two or three songs. It might have been a curfew thing not sure. Still really didn’t matter it was very high energy and I loved it. ABORT THE SUPREME COURT!
He didn't do his verse in 'count to fuck'? That's disappointing, you'd think they would do some sort of collab, if only in the spirit of getting out of their comfort zone. One of the coolest parts of Live shows is the unplanned stuff. Janes addiction getting ice-t to come out and doing sly & the family stone's "don't call me OFFENSIVE LANGUAGE, whitey" during lollapalooza or Robert Fripp joining tool onstage are still amazing.

He didn't do his verse in 'count to fuck'? That's disappointing, you'd think they would do some sort of collab, if only in the spirit of getting out of their comfort zone. One of the coolest parts of Live shows is the unplanned stuff. Janes addiction getting ice-t to come out and doing sly & the family stone's "don't call me OFFENSIVE LANGUAGE, whitey" during lollapalooza or Robert Fripp joining tool onstage are still amazing.
Nope and they opened with that. Maybe they didn’t do it because it’s Wisconsin or first show? Not really sure.

Back