Totally Tubular: The Tube Thread

The warranty turnaround takes about a month to get back and they put new tubes in. Most of the tubes used can be found for decent prices, but you might want to weigh that out. Then again, if you get new tubes they always transfer over to the new amp…in a few yrs!

Excited to hear what you think of the new amp!

The warranty turnaround takes about a month to get back and they put new tubes in. Most of the tubes used can be found for decent prices, but you might want to weigh that out. Then again, if you get new tubes they always transfer over to the new amp…in a few yrs!

Excited to hear what you think of the new amp!
Thanks for that timetable info!! I was planning on calling them next week to ask about that turn around time. If I hear anything I don't like after verifying setup over the next week or so, i'll likely send it right to Decware. A month, in the grand scheme of things with them at this point, and i'm not complaining, is nothing.. lol. I wasn't sure if they were somehow lumped in with the new builds and I wouldn't see it again until 2024 (or 2025?)..

I'm excited to hear it. I'm trying to temper my expectations a bit. I'll report back..

Last edited:
Something to keep in mind with the Torii Jr is that the input voltage for rated power is like 2V.
Thanks, ya I saw that it was 1.9volts. Haven’t hooked my DAC up yet. Just running through some vinyl for now. I don’t think it should present any issues do you? I’ve got the volume at about 10:30 using the Fynes in my little room. Heresy’s will likely top out at 9:30.

Listening to Grant Green/ The Latin Bit and it’s fun.

Thanks, ya I saw that it was 1.9volts. Haven’t hooked my DAC up yet. Just running through some vinyl for now. I don’t think it should present any issues do you? I’ve got the volume at about 10:30 using the Fynes in my little room. Heresy’s will likely top out at 9:30.

Listening to Grant Green/ The Latin Bit and it’s fun.
I remember being surprised how high I had to crack the volume pot relative to the nominal power level of the amp, but it ultimately had no trouble getting to where I needed it.

So, you got me curious and I connected the D-03x directly to the Torii Jr as well. Like with the Luxman, I need less volume with the D-03x (8 oclock on the dial is playing at 70db at my listening spot) than with the M6xVinyl, which I have to go to 9:30-10 oclock to get same levels..

Looks awesome! In case you're not aware, the red tipped tubes were "hand picked" by Steve for superior qualities and he marks the tips red. I've got a Tung Sol with a red tip that came in my ZP3, it's ok but after some rolling I'm not using it. As always when it comes to tubes, YMMV.

Looks awesome! In case you're not aware, the red tipped tubes were "hand picked" by Steve for superior qualities and he marks the tips red. I've got a Tung Sol with a red tip that came in my ZP3, it's ok but after some rolling I'm not using it. As always when it comes to tubes, YMMV.

I wasnt aware of the red tipped tubes.. hadn't come across this yet. Thanks for that.. I figured that, assuming no off sounds, I would run with these tubes for 6 months and then get a whole new compliment and slowly roll in each type. We'll see how it goes..

I remember being surprised how high I had to crack the volume pot relative to the nominal power level of the amp, but it ultimately had no trouble getting to where I needed it.
I had forgotten that you had one previously!

Yeah! I liked it but ended up going with a smaller Chi-Fi integrated that sounded really good with the rest of my system and was a bit less intimidating for my wife to use.
Ya, the no remote volume, and separate volume pots for each channel isn’t great for the WAF.

20C34EA4-B240-4CB3-80B5-52316945533E.jpeg
54A3488A-4608-4FD9-A33B-73A7694F8DBF.jpeg
0BB305DC-C269-4314-B97C-D0FCF79DA4FC.jpeg
Enjoying the Torii Jr a lot. Listening to a some Jeff Beck tonight. Everything with a grain of salt until the Heresy’s are in the system, but no regrets at all buying this used unit.

I’m thinking the tube compliment might be the original, as the gentleman I bought it from said he didn’t tube roll it. But I’m hearing nothing negative to this point that would make me think they aren’t operating properly.

I did verify the bias and it was at .830 (.825 ideal) so I left it alone.

Going to order a fresh set of tubes so I have them on hand.

Last edited:
Going to order a fresh set of tubes so I have them on hand.
Here ya go!

That’s a lot of cheddar! I have no experience with cryo’d tubes and for me the cost is a bit too high vs my curiosity. I will say, my Decware stuff is very responsive to tube rolling, but again cost limits me to roll what I have on hand.

Here ya go!

That’s a lot of cheddar! I have no experience with cryo’d tubes and for me the cost is a bit too high vs my curiosity. I will say, my Decware stuff is very responsive to tube rolling, but again cost limits me to roll what I have on hand.
Whew. I ordered 6922’s and EL34’s from Upscale, Found OA3’s and a NOS 5U4 elsewhere online. Spent much less than that. That is big cheese.

To continue from the Klipsch thread..

@HayesWeighsIn

My understanding from the original owner is that he didn't roll the tubes at all, so I assume these are at least mostly original (in this pic I had already replaced the OA3's with some NOS Sylvanias.. which I removed and put the originals back in because the Sylvanias hummed with the Heresy's).

It currently has the Valve Art 274B, Tung Sol EL34's, Amperex Gold Pin 6922 (red tipped and I understand these are picked by Steve himself so likely original and apparently not cheap). Not sure what the OA3's are to be honest as there are no markings on them that I can see.

To me, all sounds as it should at this point other than a slight "graininess" at higher volumes.. but I have no reference point to be honest.

I have a full compliment of tubes arriving Monday.. I am trying Mullard EL34's (Cryo) and Gold Lion E88C/6922 (Cryo, Kevins stash) from Upscale, a NOS Raytheon 5u4G, and a pair of NOS RCA/GE OA3's.

I think for my own education, I'm going to replace them one type at a time and get an idea what does what. Best route? Or should I throw them all in at once and see what changes overall first and then maybe go back and try other combos? Any advice on what you'd do? Any recommendations as to which to try switching first if doing 1 by 1 is the best idea?

Any advice would be appreciated.2CC8C46D-174F-4BA5-947B-C323C1531D2B.jpeg

Last edited:
They seem like they might be a little harder to come by at the moment but I will check one out at some point!!

Ah! The guy I buy my tubes of in the uk had an inventory of them but looking now his prices have risen a decent amount since 2019 when I got them!

Back