Totally Tubular: The Tube Thread

For those who have ordered from Upscale Audio...is the price difference in grades worth it and are they noticeable?

I’m in a Rogue Audio FB group and someone recommended the GE Military Stock tubes for his Sphinx V3 and of course now I’m curious. 😁

For those who have ordered from Upscale Audio...is the price difference in grades worth it and are they noticeable?

I’m in a Rogue Audio FB group and someone recommended the GE Military Stock tubes for his Sphinx V3 and of course now I’m curious. 😁
Your amp uses the tubes in the preamp section. You want the quietest tubes possible. I’d go for the highest grade you can get.

it's nice to be able to support two companies who tackle the chase for audio magic from a very different perspective than most others.
Agreed. Companies/designers who have that strong perspective and product focus are always the most intriguing to me as well.

Any idea why they’re so much more expensive? Is it just the change in cabinet materials?
That's some expensive AF wood if so. The only specific design elements mentioned I can find that seem new:
  • new, extensive cabinet superstructure and the all okoume cabinetry
  • near Druid 6 level of driver-to-cabinet coupling and integration

Truth. I'm about 1.5 years in with mine, and I haven't even had an inkling of wanting to get something else. It's stunning. Pure magic.
FWIW, I am still very happy with my Decware Zen Mystery Amp after a little more than a year... (pushing Chartwell LS3/5A's and Sub3's, if anyone is wondering about compatibility...)

OK. My first small steps into tube rolling. The Freya+ I have came with JJ 6SN7s. I had no issues with them but knew from reviews that they were pretty much starter tubes only. So, I decided to try a pair of GE 6SN7GTB NOS short bottles in the gain stage. Most actually use these in the buffer stage, but my wallet only goes so far right now. Still only have about 5 hours on them but wow! Much larger sound stage front of speakers and even pushing further to the sides than I thought I could get from my speakers. Bass is much more controlled while still giving plenty of "thump" when it should be there. I really continue to be amazed at what tubes can bring to the musical party. Can't wait until my budget allows me to try something a bit more fun down the road.

Back