Top 50 Hip-Hop/Rap Albums Of All Time.

The last name rings a bell...Is Mojo the real first name and what position did they have?Also did he work in the L.A. or NYC office as I worked in the Office in L.A. on Melrose. I can tell you HOW I got that “Intern” position:

I wake up one day and decide I want to learn about the record industry so Wu being basically independent artist and them being signed to a small label like Loud I wanted to learn what they did to put out albums so I call Loud/SRC’s offices. Terry was the secretary at the time and she goes yeah we can use an intern, so I go down and start that day. So im Answering phones, running errands, etc and Terry is running around doing nothing, so I figured out that I’m doing her job. Steve Rifkind then comes into the office one day and he’s like Who are you? I’m like I’m the intern, and he looks perplexed, but Is cool. So while I’m there I’m rubbing elbows with the different departments especially Bigga B who is the head of street promotions in L.A.(RIP). So while I was there Xzibit got signed and I got to hear Papparazzi from the beginning. He was a real nice guy. Always spoke and even after I stopped interning at Loud I’d see him and he’d say what’s up and we’d talk. E-Swift first came in with the papparazi instrumental, then they come in with the full track with vocals. So when Xzibit signed his contract I had to run off copies of it and I also read it and he got very little cash but the biggest sticking point was he got medical insurance for his little new born girl which is noble but the lack of cash opened my eyes to the record business. Also I got to see how Crooked the industry is. Yes I met RZA as well who basically ignored me and didn’t say jack. In terms of Radio Payola was still a thing. The head of the radio Department Tommy straight up told me that they had to pay DJ’s either with Gifts or cash to get spins. He told me about how for example one DJ got some Gold Technics 1200’s for playing music or another DJ got Some sneakers. So fast forward it got to a point I knew they were using me so I basically started using my position at Loud to make contacts with other promoters at labels and that’s how I got into street promotions.I wanted to work for Loud but I made the mistake of thinking Bigga B was the head promoter and he wasn’t....It was this guy from the NYC office named Trevor. He’d come to L.A. every once in a while and I’d talk to him like he was just another promoter when he was actually the head promoter. AnyWay I call up capitol and get tons of vinyl to promote, call up Violater, get vinyl, etc. I think they got wind of it tho and At some point during this time they tell me they don’t need me, and then I get word that terry also got canned because she let me do her job. Also I gotta comment on Steve Rifkind. Dude was just the money man, the guy who ran Loud on the business end was this guy named Rich. You’d see him working his ass off, while Steve would be in his office just listening to music.
Anyway I know long story but that whole thing just totally disillusioned me from ever wanting to get into the mainstream music industry. I saw people ripped off, people who signed contracts get basically shelved and held to their contracts, example a guy gets a 10 grand advance, spends it up and a label basically telling him that they will not make his album but will hold him to his contract basically ending his career. They told him he better not even perform at an open mic or they’d sue him. I met some cool people like Bigga B who hit me with Raekwon’s only built album a month before it dropped and I promoted his club called unity for him. So from that I’d tell up and coming mc’s to go the Project Blowed route and be independent because these companies will ruin your name and image to sell records and I stick to that today.

His government is Joe Nicosia (pretty sure I'm spelling his last name right) .. can't remember his exact position but he was somewhat of a big shot over at Loud and only left to go become a VP over at Interscope. He's originally from New York but I know he lives out in Cali now and pretty sure he was bi-coastal in the Loud days... he told me some fucked up stories.. like Loud west coast dudes getting kidnapped and raped by Suge's goons out in the middle of the desert.

He also told me that Steve's dad is a certified gangster and one of the inspirations for Hesh from The Sopranos. That when there was beef with Haitian Jack in NYC, it was Steve's dad who stepped in and squashed the beef.. and apparently he did similar shit out west to slow the beef between Death Row and Loud.

Okay... so after several weeks of submerging myself in pretty much nothing but hip-hop and re-visiting old favorites that had fallen out of rotation, I think I have the list right. When this was first posted, I answered in a tipsy brainstorm sesh that put weight on the crews/rappers I go back to over and over again- and completely disregarded whether an album was well known.

This time, I limited myself to one album per artist. I also tried to weigh albums that impacted me deeply while also touching the zeitgeist in some capacity. BUT because of that, I'm also including 5 albums that it felt really weird to leave off (due to the 1 per artist rule) + 10 albums that were "regional" in their impact at the bottom of my list.

The 2000's were lived underground when it came to these ears- I consider a lot of the more mainstream albums of that era god awful (hello anyone with Lil' in their name). There was a LOT of time spent digging through Demonoid during college or going to 10$ shows in my early 20's. So I wanted to pay those rappers some respect (even if some of them are long forgotten).

Also, I'm 32 {which I think helps this list make a lot of since] and apparently 2007 and 1993 are my favorite "rap years" by a wide margin.

The 50 [chronological]:

Beastie Boys: License to Ill (1986)
Dr. Dre: The Chronic (1992)
Pharcyde, Bizarre Journey II (1992)
Souls of Mischief: 93 Til Infinity (1993)
Freestyle Fellowship: Innercity Griots (1993)
Wu- Tang: 36 Chambers (1993)
A Tribe Called Quest: Midnight Maruaders (1993)
De La Soul: Bulhoone Mindsate (1993)
Queen Latifah: Black Reign (1993)
Nas: Illmatic (1994)

Snoop Dogg: Doggy Style (1994)
Goodie Mob: Soul Food (1995)
2Pac: Me Against the World (1995)
Outkast- ATliens (1996)
The Fugees: The Score (1996)
Black Star: Black Star (1998)
Deep Puddle Dynamics: The Taste of Rain, Why Kneel? (1999)
Prince Paul: A Prince Among Thieves (1999)
Eminem: Slim Shady LP (1999)
Quasimoto: The Unseen (2000)

Jay Z: The Blueprint (2001)
Cannibal Ox: The Cold Vein (2001)
Aesop Rock: Labor Days (2001)
RJD2: Deadringer (2002)
Blackalicious: Blazing Arrow (2002)
Atmosphere: Sevens Travels (2003)
Brother Ali: Shadows of the Sun (2003)
DJ Danger Mouse: The Grey Album (2004)
Zion I: True and Living (2005)
Cunninlynguists: A Piece of Strange (2006)

El-P: I’ll Sleep When Your Dead (2007)
Saul Williams: The Inevitable Rise and Liberation of Niggy Tardust! (2007)
Lupe Fiasco: The Cool (2007)
P.O.S.: Never Better (2009)
The Roots: How I Got Over (2010)
Home Brew: Home Brew (2012).... I'm including it because it went number #1 in its home country of NZ.
Joy Bada$$: 1999 (2012)
Chance the Rapper: Acid Rap (2013)
Earl Sweatshirt: Doris (2013)
Run the Jewels: II (2014)

Isaiah Rashad: The Cilvia Demo (2014)
Azealia Banks: Broke with Expensive Taste (2014)
Kenrick Lamar: To Pimp a Butterfly (2015)
Vince Staples: Summertime 06’ (2015)
Anderson .Paak: Malibu (2016)
Danny Brown: Atrocity Exhibition (2016)
Tyler the Creator: Flower Boy (2017)
Brockhampton: Saturation II (2017)
Saba: Care for Me (2018)
Little Simz: Grey Area (2019)

5 albums that should be on this list but the artist was already named:

Aesop Rock: Float (1999)
Eminem: The Marshal Mathers LP (2000)
Outkast: Stankonia (2001)
Kendrick Lamar: Section 80 (2011)
Cunninlynguists: Strange Journey Vol 3. (2014).... (P.O.S. Ipecac Neat may have changed my taste in music by introducing me to Fugazi but this album is like a greatest hits of cameos from the underground scene of the Lynguists' era).

Some "classics" that impacted their community but not many outside of it:

All Natural: Second Nature (2001) [Chicago]
Oddjobs: Drums (2002) [MN]
The Chicharones [Sleep + Josh Martinez]: When Pigs Fly (2005) [Northern CA]
Storm Davis: Kegstand Poetry for the Recovering Alcohalic (2006) [RI]
Zachariah: White Jesus (2007) [MN]
Whiskey Blanket: It’s Warmer Down Here (2007) [CO]
Symmetry: Dusty Pickup (2007) [RI]
LuckyIAm: Most Likely To Succeed (2007) [Northern CA]
Cecil Otter: Rebel Yellow (2008) [MN]
Sims: Bad Time Zoo (2011) [MN]

Last edited:
Okay... so after several weeks of submerging myself in pretty much nothing but hip-hop and re-visiting old favorites that had fallen out of rotation, I think I have the list right. When this was first posted, I answered in a tipsy brainstorm sesh that put weight on the crews/rappers I go back to over and over again- and completely disregarded whether an album was well known.

This time, I limited myself to one album per artist. I also tried to weigh albums that impacted me deeply while also touching the zeitgeist in some capacity. BUT because of that, I'm also including putting 5 albums that it felt really weird to leave off (due to the 1 per artist rule) + 10 albums that were "regional" in their impact at the bottom of my list.

The 2000's were lived underground when it came to these ears- I consider a lot of the more mainstream albums of that era god awful (hello anyone with Lil' in their name). There was a LOT of time spent digging through Demonoid during college or going to 10$ shows in my early 20's. So I wanted to pay those rappers some respect (even if some of them are long forgotten).

Also, I'm 32 {which I think helps this list make a lot of since] and apparently 2007 and 1993 are my favorite "rap years" by a wide margin.

The 50 [chronological]:

Beastie Boys: License to Ill (1986)
Dr. Dre: The Chronic (1992)
Pharcyde, Bizarre Journey II (1992)
Souls of Mischief: 93 Til Infinity (1993)
Freestyle Fellowship: Innercity Griots (1993)
Wu- Tang: 36 Chambers (1993)
A Tribe Called Quest: Midnight Maruaders (1993)
De La Soul: Bulhoone Mindsate (1993)
Queen Latifah: Black Reign (1993)
Nas: Illmatic (1994)

Snoop Dogg: Doggy Style (1994)
Goodie Mob: Soul Food (1995)
2Pac: Me Against the World (1995)
Outkast- ATliens (1996)
The Fugees: The Score (1996)
Black Star: Black Star (1998)
Deep Puddle Dynamics: The Taste of Rain, Why Kneel? (1999)
Prince Paul: A Prince Among Thieves (1999)
Eminem: Slim Shady LP (1999)
Jay Z: The Blueprint (2001)

Cannibal Ox: The Cold Vein (2001)
Aesop Rock: Labor Days (2001)
RJD2: Deadringer (2002)
Blackalicious: Blazing Arrow (2002)
Atmosphere: Sevens Travels (2003)
Brother Ali: Shadows of the Sun (2003)
DJ Danger Mouse: The Grey Album (2004)
Zion I: True and Living (2005)
Cunninlynguists: A Piece of Strange (2006)
El-P: I’ll Sleep When Your Dead (2007)

Saul Williams: The Inevitable Rise and Liberation of Niggy Tardust! (2007)
Busdriver: RoadKillOvercoat (2007)
Lupe Fiasco: The Cool (2007)
P.O.S.: Never Better (2009)
The Roots: How I Got Over (2010)
Home Brew: Home Brew (2012).... I'm including it because it went number #1 in its home country of NZ.
Joy Bada$$: 1999 (2012)
Chance the Rapper: Acid Rap (2013)
Earl Sweatshirt: Doris (2013)
Run the Jewels: II (2014)

Isaiah Rashad: The Cilvia Demo (2014)
Azealia Banks: Broke with Expensive Taste (2014)
Kenrick Lamar- To Pimp a Butterfly (2015)
Vince Staples- Summertime 06’ (2015)
Anderson .Paak- Malibu (2016)
Danny Brown: Atrocity Exhibition (2016)
Tyler the Creator: Flower Boy (2017)
Brockhampton: Saturation II (2017)
Saba: Care for Me (2018)
Little Simz: Grey Area (2019)

5 albums that should be on this list but the artist was already named:

Aesop Rock: Float (1999)
Eminem: The Marshal Mathers LP (2000)
Outkast: Stankonia (2001)
Kendrick Lamar: Section 80 (2011)
Cunninlynguists: Strange Journey Vol 3. (2014)

Some classics that impacted their community but not many outside of it:

All Natural: Second Nature (2001) {Chicago)
Oddjobs: Drums (2002) [MN]
The Chicharones: When Pigs Fly (2005) [Northern CA]
Zachariah: White Jesus (2007) [MN]
Whiskey Blanket: It’s Warmer Down Here (2007) [CO]
Symmetry: Dusty Pickup (2007) [RI]
Abadawn: Good Villain (2007) (WA)
LuckyIAm: Most Likely To Succeed (2007) [Northern CA]
Cecil Otter: Rebel Yellow (2008) [MN]
Sims: Bad Time Zoo (2011) [MN]

I'm curious - you really think All Nat and Oddjobs influenced their regional scene that much? Not to knock either but I feel like both were more or less just repping the aesthetic of their respective scenes.

Also - that LuckyIAm .. that's not the Legends dude right?

I'm curious - you really think All Nat and Oddjobs influenced their regional scene that much? Not to knock either but I feel like both were more or less just repping the aesthetic of their respective scenes.

Also - that LuckyIAm .. that's not the Legends dude right?

I mean a couple of those 10 albums aren't even on Spotify and can only be found on Youtube.

It's more that they were well known (and respected) within their scene but not well known outside of it [and are now bordering on forgotten]. Which is always a hazy boundary. See Kanser in Minnesota... they helped lay the foundation but are one of the least known artists from that scene nationally.

And yes to Lucky (he is the Living Legends dude)- which was tricky- because I have Zion I up top... but I feel like Lucky's solo work has become forgotten (and Most Likely to Succeed is fucking excellent) where as Zion I was still really big outside of CA as recently as a couple years ago.

Last edited:
I see that sneaky double jay-z post in your list @DownIsTheNewUp haha

Nice list.. I think you would find many people would also drop the same similar list if they took the time to write it

Eric B & Rakim - Paid In Full
Public Enemy - Fear Of A Black Planet
Beastie Boys - Pauls Boutique
Black Moon - Enta Da Stage
Smif N Wessun - Dah Shinin'
The Cenubites - S/T
Common Sense - Resurrection
Outkast - ATLiens
Goodie Mob - Soul Food
De La Soul - ... is Dead
Nas - Illmatic
Ultramagnetic MCs - Critical Beatdown
Company Flow - Funcrusher / Plus
Cannibal Ox - The Cold Vein
Westside Gunn - Hitler On Steroids
Freestyle Fellowship - Innercity Griots
NWA - Straight Outta Compton
Ice Cube - Amerikka's Most Wanted
Wu Tang Clan - 36 Chambers
Juggaknots - Clear Blue Skies
MF Doom - Operation Doomsday
Volume 10 - Hip-Hopera
Three-6 Mafia - Chapter 2: World Domination
Snoop Dogg - Doggystyle
Dr. Dre - The Chronic
Del - No Need For Alarm
Biggie - Ready To Die
Jay-Z - Reasonable Doubt
Da Lench Mob - Guerillas In Tha Mist
The Grouch - Nothin' Changes
Pete Rock & CL Smooth - Mecca & The Soul Brother
Atmosphere - Overcast
The Clipse - Hell Hath No Fury
El-P - Fantastic Damage
Eminem - Slim Shady
Latyrx - The Muzapper Mixes EP (sure, just an ep.. but i like it better than their album)
The UN - UN or U Out
Lil Wayne - Tha Carter
Project Blowed
Cam'ron - Purple Haze
Gravediggaz - 6 Feet Deep
Method Man - Tical
Roc Marciano - Marcberg
MURS - Comurshal
Geto Boys - Can't Be Stopped
Digital Underground - Sex Packets
Ghostface - Supreme Clientele
Kanye - Late Registration
KA - Grief Pedigree

That's what I got for now.. ask me in five minutes and i'm sure it'd be different.

Bumping clints list so I can compare easier xD

I see that sneaky double jay-z post in your list @DownIsTheNewUp haha

Nice list.. I think you would find many people would also drop the same similar list if they took the time to write it

The irony is those are the only two Jay Z albums I listen to with regularity (+ occasionally Reasonable Doubt). Grey Album was the last addition (over Common's Be, Missy's SupaDupa Fly and Murs' 3:16). I included it because it introduced me to the power of the mash-up. My favorite mash-up might actually be Cecil Otter's: Wugazi: 31 Chambers.

Last edited:
The irony is those are the only two Jay Z albums I listen to with regularity (+ occasionally Reasonable Doubt). Grey album was the last addition and I included it because the Grey Album introduced me to the power of the mash-up. My favorite mash-up might actually be Cecil Otter's: Wugazi: 31 Chambers.

I guess because your not a big kanye fan "Watch The Throne" wasnt even considered for your list?

I agree with your Blueprint. It is my favourite full Jz solo album. Followed by his compilation "Chapter One".

The irony is those are the only two Jay Z albums I listen to with regularity (+ occasionally Reasonable Doubt). Grey album was the last addition and I included it because the Grey Album introduced me to the power of the mash-up. My favorite mash-up might actually be Cecil Otter's: Wugazi: 31 Chambers.

Do you ever think Grey Album will get a legit vinyl release? Jayz and Beatles and Mouse have all been positive bout the release.
Only EMI had a hissy fit.

Unranked/Alphabetical:

2Pac - Me Against The World
A Tribe Called Quest - People’s Instinctive Travels and the Paths of Rhythm
A Tribe Called Quest - Midnight Marauders
Arrested Development - 3 Years, 5 Months and 2 Days in the Life of...
Beastie Boys - Ill Communication
Big Daddy Kane - Long Live The Kane
Biz Markie - Goin' Off
Blackalicious - Blazing Arrow
Boogie Down Productions - By All Means Necessary
Common - Be
De La Soul - 3 Feet High and Rising
Del the Funky Homosapien - I Wish My Brother George Was Here
Deltron 3030 - Deltron 3030
DJ Shadow - Endtroducing…
Eminem - The Marshell Mathers LP
Fugees - The Score
Genius/GZA - Liquid Swords
Handsome Boy Modeling School - So... How’s Your Girl?
Ice Cube - The Predator
Jean Grae & 9th Wonder - Jeanius
Jungle Brothers - Straight out the Jungle
k-os - Joyful Rebellion
Kendrick Lamar - To Pimp A Butterfly
Lauryn Hill - The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill
Madlib - Shades of Blue
Madvillain - Madvillainy
MC Lyte - Lyte As A Rock
Missy Elliott - Miss E… SO Addictive
Mobb Deep - The Infamous
Mos Def - Black on Both Sides
Mos Def & Talib Kweli - Black Star
Ol’ Dirty Bastard - Return to the 36 Chambers
OutKast - Aquemini
Pete Rock & CL Smooth - Mecca & The Soul Brother
Public Enemy - It Takes A Nation of Millions to Hold Us Back
Queen Latifah - All Hail The Queen
Raekwon - Only Built 4 Cuban Linx
Run The Jewels - Run The Jewels 2
Scarface - The Diary
Slick Rick - The Great Adventures of Slick Rick
Snoop Doggy Dogg - Doggystyle
Snotty Nose Rez Kids - The Average Savage
Solillaquists of Sound - No More Heroes
Talib Kweli & Hi-Tek - Train of Thought
The Coup - Pick A Bigger Weapon
The DOC - No One Dees It Better
The Notorious B.I.G. - Ready to Die
The Roots - Things Fall Apart
Wu-Tang Clan - Enter The Wu-Tang (36 Chambers)
Wyclef Jean - The Carnival

(*I'm sure I'll kick myself for forgetting something later, but this feels pretty solid.)

nice list @avecigrec but no mfdoom? id also argue that dr dre the chronic is a better album (though more popular too) than the great doc album. but yeah, top 50 hip hop really needs to be top 100!

nice list @avecigrec but no mfdoom? id also argue that dr dre the chronic is a better album (though more popular too) than the great doc album. but yeah, top 50 hip hop really needs to be top 100!

Madvillainy is top 25 material for sure, Operation: Doomsday is probably in the 50-60 window (as is The Chronic), were I to exhaust myself doing a ranked top 100. Mm...Food would likely crack somewhere in the final 90s.

I've also yet to go deep on the King Geedorah or Viktor Vaughn albums - which is 100% a shortcoming I'm sad but not ashamed to admit.

Back