The VPI Turntable Thread

All of a sudden, I’m feeling a twinge of regret in buying a Luxman instead of a VPI Classic! It’s a lovely table, but it still weighs too damn much. 😄
I swear the 4 square feet around my table is the only place in my entire house that the 60 year old floor boards don't creak. Between the weight of the table and amp, fuckers are like concrete.

Had been streaming a fair amount due to a relentless ground loop I couldn't seem to eliminate. Tried spinning the black circle tonight for the first time in months and that MF reared its ugly head.

If you work for VPI and happen to be reading this, it would be great for you to return CS messages I've left. Or has the Presidential table managed to steal even more time away from loyal customers? 🙄

Had been streaming a fair amount due to a relentless ground loop I couldn't seem to eliminate. Tried spinning the black circle tonight for the first time in months and that MF reared its ugly head.

If you work for VPI and happen to be reading this, it would be great for you to return CS messages I've left. Or has the Presidential table managed to steal even more time away from loyal customers? 🙄
VPI is closed for the holidays from Dec 16 to Jan 2.

I’ve had ground loop problems with my VPI recently, too. The thing that cured it was when I swapped out my SUT for a separate phonostage I had hanging around. Ground loops can be a b***h to hunt down sometimes.

Last edited:
I know this all too well, unfortunately. Was able to solve the feedback by switching out the phono preamp, but the ground loop issue still remains somewhere within the TT itself or its ASD module. Haven't been home to test it more but hope to by week's end.

For the record, can't recommend DL (and Keith, in particular) enough. Never had one issue with my MP-7/SU-7 until the VPI, and he took care of me the best he was able. Will absolutely be following their endeavors closely. For now, the 20/20 was on my short list and serving me well.

I know this all too well, unfortunately. Was able to solve the feedback by switching out the phono preamp, but the ground loop issue still remains somewhere within the TT itself or its ASD module. Haven't been home to test it more but hope to by week's end.

For the record, can't recommend DL (and Keith, in particular) enough. Never had one issue with my MP-7/SU-7 until the VPI, and he took care of me the best he was able. Will absolutely be following their endeavors closely. For now, the 20/20 was on my short list and serving me well.
Ron Sutherland is of similar ilk. Enjoy your new phono - glad to hear it resolved the ground loop!

The addition of my SU-7 increased the noise floor with an audible hum-like sound, but very different than the ground loop. I didn't expect it and hoped to resolve by retaining the DL gear, but in the end it made more sense to swap. Keith worked with me every step of the way and was extremely supportive, was just an enigma and I lost interest in further investigation.

More on resolving hum and ground loops.

BTW - what interconnects are you using between the turntable and phono?

Last edited:
More on resolving hum and ground loops.

BTW - what interconnects are you using between the turntable and phono?

Thanks, Pangea Premier SE.

I’ve had ground loop problems with my VPI recently, too. The thing that cured it was when I swapped out my SUT for a separate phonostage I had hanging around. Ground loops can be a b***h to hunt down sometimes.
I messed up with putting that phono in with my VPI instead of the SUT. The damn phono sounds so good in there, I won’t be able to sell it now! It was just supposed to be a tester to help eliminate ground loops, but the SUT just went onto the storage shelf.

Well, at least it sounds gorgeous. 😂

I messed up with putting that phono in with my VPI instead of the SUT. The damn phono sounds so good in there, I won’t be able to sell it now! It was just supposed to be a tester to help eliminate ground loops, but the SUT just went onto the storage shelf.

Well, at least it sounds gorgeous. 😂
So wait, what phono went into the system and what's a SUT? Sutherland?

So wait, what phono went into the system and what's a SUT? Sutherland?
I purchased a black Bryston BP-1.5 in 2023 that was to replace the silver one I purchased the year before - I wanted all the main system components to be black. The silver one was to become a resale item.

The step-up transformer was a Bryston TF-2 that I originally purchased for use with my integrated amplifier’s internal MM phono. I used it with a Hana SL which needed 20 dB more gain with the integrated phono.

It worked very well for me until I rearranged my room and got a ground loop I couldn’t resolve. The silver BP-1.5 did the trick but it also lowered the noise floor from what it was using the SUT - that was unexpected.

So, now I have a BP-1.5 on both the main system and the office system.

Fellow VPIers... big question time. By a show of hands, do you use the fiddly antiskate mechanism on your table, or do you just use the twisted wire method?
This may only apply to those with JMW tonearms, I'm not certain the other tables have the same anti skate method.

Fellow VPIers... big question time. By a show of hands, do you use the fiddly antiskate mechanism on your table, or do you just use the twisted wire method?
This may only apply to those with JMW tonearms, I'm not certain the other tables have the same anti skate method.
Probably the most divisive topic amongst VPI owners! It’s truly just YMMV. @Angsty and my decks have no way to adjust antiskate, which just speaking for myself here, honestly may be for the best! 😂

Probably the most divisive topic amongst VPI owners! It’s truly just YMMV. @Angsty and my decks have no way to adjust antiskate, which just speaking for myself here, honestly may be for the best! 😂
Yeah it's hilarious because VPI are like "Here fine have one, but you don't need, we don't use it, it's dumb." And then Ledermann is like "OMG use the antiskate all you people are idiots." It's kinda amazing.

Back