The VPI Turntable Thread

Haha yes thanks I have bookmarked that page however being in Canada if I can avoid paying almost $100 in shipping costs in order to go through the actual manufacturer I will do that first. But VAS is definitely my backup.
I would not surprised if VPI outsourced re-tipping to VAS given their shared history and proximity.

So I just checked and the current cost of a 2M Black stylus, just the stylus, is $850 CAD. That's pretty much made the decision for me. Unless the SHYLA has some sort of incredible retip deal, I'm going SoundSmith. $850 for a black every 1000 hours or about $525 CAD for a Zephyr MIMC Star. No competition there.

So I just checked and the current cost of a 2M Black stylus, just the stylus, is $850 CAD. That's pretty much made the decision for me. Unless the SHYLA has some sort of incredible retip deal, I'm going SoundSmith. $850 for a black every 1000 hours or about $525 CAD for a Zephyr MIMC Star. No competition there.

All I will say is Europe is still much cheaper for the 2M black same as the 2M blue.

£374.99 shipped to Canada. They remove the vat as it’s for export.

That’s $620ish so even if you did get hit for customs it’s going to be less than the local price.

But yes the soundsmith is still a way better deal.

For any yanks, without import duty, looking for a 2M black £374.99, or £594.99 for the lvb250, inc shipping is a bit of a steal.

Last edited:
All I will say is Europe is still much cheaper for the 2M black same as the 2M blue.

£374.99 shipped to Canada. They remove the vat as it’s for export.

That’s $620ish so even if you did get hit for customs it’s going to be less than the local price.

But yes the soundsmith is still a way better deal.

For any yanks, without import duty, looking for a 2M black £374.99, or £594.99 for the lvb250, inc shipping is a bit of a steal.
It's honestly insane how much this stuff has gone up. The entire black cart is only $80 more than the stylus. It was like $650 last time I bought one barely 1.5 years ago

It's honestly insane how much this stuff has gone up. The entire black cart is only $80 more than the stylus. It was like $650 last time I bought one barely 1.5 years ago

Yeah there was a price jump on pets earlier this year. It’s why I jumped on the quintet. It’s gone up to €999 but a store here still had some they’d bought in before the price hike so I got it for €830.

Any 2M styli in North America seem have an other side of the ocean tax on them too, it’s so much cheaper to buy from analogue seduction even with shipping.

Yeah there was a price jump on pets earlier this year. It’s why I jumped on the quintet. It’s gone up to €999 but a store here still had some they’d bought in before the price hike so I got it for €830.

Any 2M styli in North America seem have an other side of the ocean tax on them too, it’s so much cheaper to buy from analogue seduction even with shipping.
Love that store, ordered from them in the past. Great guys

I have a midterm goal of changing my speakers. Of the three that I was looking at, they’ve gone from $10k to $15.5k, $17k to $27k, and $22k to $38k (!!!!!) in the last two years alone. I went from thinking of getting new speakers next year to wondering if I can get them in 3 years, (if they stop going up).

I have a midterm goal of changing my speakers. Of the three that I was looking at, they’ve gone from $10k to $15.5k, $17k to $27k, and $22k to $38k (!!!!!) in the last two years alone. I went from thinking of getting new speakers next year to wondering if I can get them in 3 years, (if they stop going up).
That's just completely insane. Good lord.

Just be prepared for the SoundSmith retip to take 8 to 10 weeks; there is always a long backlog.

You must have looked into The Music Room's operation at one time or another, right? Local to us and they get great gear in all the time at waaay below retail prices. I've dealt with them and they are straight shooters.

You must have looked into The Music Room's operation at one time or another, right? Local to us and they get great gear in all the time at waaay below retail prices. I've dealt with them and they are straight shooters.
I’m very familiar with TMR (in fact they are currently selling some of my old equipment on consignment). They get lots of great gear, I just haven’t seen the speakers I was looking at come up often, if at all, there.

Back with an update, folks.

I'm still dealing with trying to figure out the "hum" feedback from the addition of my Classic 3.
Have a couple messages into VPI and Darlington Labs, respectively, and imagine I'll hear from them soon.
In fairness, I've been more or less unavailable dusk to dawn these past three days.

In different news, I made a significant transition this week into different kit.
Found a suitor for my Cambridge stack and came across an opportunity to buy into the Stellar series of PSA I couldn't refuse.
Thankfully, I was able to receive (mostly) enough support from my wife to do so... but I'm officially pressing my luck.

So, I won't be making any significant purchases out of pocket for at least 6 months, as that was the agreement we struck.
I can still trade and sell, just no outright transactions equal to or greater than $500. All told, that's more than fair.

After all, Lisa's my first love... not HiFi.

I'll be incorporating these two Stellar components (pun intended) into my setup this coming week.
- Gain Cell DAC/Pre
- S300 Amp

Cheers!

Ok, I've isolated it to what appears to be a bonafide ground loop. Haven't been able to investigate resolve yet because I just got back into town.

Anyone ever subscribe to one of those noise eliminator gizmos? HumZero, HumX, or another worthy equivalent... preferably made in USA?

Back with an update, folks.

I'm still dealing with trying to figure out the "hum" feedback from the addition of my Classic 3.
Have a couple messages into VPI and Darlington Labs, respectively, and imagine I'll hear from them soon.
In fairness, I've been more or less unavailable dusk to dawn these past three days.

In different news, I made a significant transition this week into different kit.
Found a suitor for my Cambridge stack and came across an opportunity to buy into the Stellar series of PSA I couldn't refuse.
Thankfully, I was able to receive (mostly) enough support from my wife to do so... but I'm officially pressing my luck.

So, I won't be making any significant purchases out of pocket for at least 6 months, as that was the agreement we struck.
I can still trade and sell, just no outright transactions equal to or greater than $500. All told, that's more than fair.

After all, Lisa's my first love... not HiFi.

I'll be incorporating these two Stellar components (pun intended) into my setup this coming week.
- Gain Cell DAC/Pre
- S300 Amp

Cheers!

The gain cell is a really nice sounding pre. I really like mine and the inbuilt DAC sounds great. The usb input is a bit kooky, works fine with computers and phones or tablets but for whatever reason it isn’t so keen on Linux based streaming boxes.

The matching phono stage is something I’d perhaps like in my system down the line.

Ok, I've isolated it to what appears to be a bonafide ground loop. Haven't been able to investigate resolve yet because I just got back into town.

Anyone ever subscribe to one of those noise eliminator gizmos? HumZero, HumX, or another worthy equivalent... preferably made in USA?

Do you know what component is causing the ground loop?

I use these to great effect in my system. UK designed and manufactured (based in Southport, on the coast just outside Liverpool) and they made a huge difference for me.

Last edited:
Do you know what component is causing the ground loop?

I use these to great effect in my system. UK designed and manufactured (based in Southport, on the coast just outside Liverpool) and they made a huge difference for me.

Not yet, just made it home and a lot of work was waiting for me. 😣

Duly noted on magical UK device.

I've considered the MP 500 many times. It's still on my potentials list. Curious to hear your thoughts.
After a couple of weeks with the MP-300 in place of the Hana ML, I went back to the Hana. It turns out, when I used the MP-300 last, I was using the Insight phono instead of the Bryston.

With the laid-back nature of the Insight, it was a great match with the forwardness of the MP-300. The forwardness of the Nagaoka and the Bryston together made things sound too edgy for my tastes. Also, there seemed to be more accumulation of static with the MP-300 than with the ML. The Bryston appears to be more sensitive to this than the Insight and the noise floor of the system was raised with the MP-300 in place.

I had spent little time considering how well a phono would match with specific cartridges before this, so the switch was instructive.

Back