The Travelling Thread

TrainFan73

Frothy
Hi all,

Just thought a thread for where folks are headed might be cool for folks to inquire about stuff to do, places to eat, and, of course, RECORD SHOPS OF NOTE!!!

The family and I are headed to Charleston, SC for a wedding this weekend, if anyone knows of something fun to do there, gluten free dining and, of course, RECORD SHOPS!!!! let a brother know?

I'll reach out with any suggestions for Philly. Don't care about checking out a record shop. Have been there once a few years back visiting a friend in NJ/McGuire AFB so only did a day of drinking and saw the Liberty Bell.

Will only have one full day post my bros' wedding. The wife loves zoos and aquariums so we were thinking the zoo (it has otters). Any suggestions of must sees, eats (my wife is guided by her belly, so where do we get a great Philly Cheese steak - doesn't have to be most famous, just great), etc?

Trying to plan out a trip to Scotland. Any suggestions for things to check out? We’re eyeing Glasgow and Edinburgh (my one true love of a city could be). Open to other stops!

I remember seeing some talk in the old forum but alas. I should have took some screenshots.

I've been to Scotland twice and they've been two of my favorite trips. Glasgow and Edinburgh are fun and fairly close together but I think you'd be missing out if you didn't venture further north. Some of the prettiest/striking scenery I've ever seen. We spent most of our honeymoon on Skye. It's incredible but I can imagine the influx of tourists could dampen the experience depending on when you're going.

The
I'll reach out with any suggestions for Philly. Don't care about checking out a record shop. Have been there once a few years back visiting a friend in NJ/McGuire AFB so only did a day of drinking and saw the Liberty Bell.

Will only have one full day post my bros' wedding. The wife loves zoos and aquariums so we were thinking the zoo (it has otters). Any suggestions of must sees, eats (my wife is guided by her belly, so where do we get a great Philly Cheese steak - doesn't have to be most famous, just great), etc?

The Philadelphia Zoo is cool. We are members and go pretty frequently. For food you should check out the Reading Terminal market if you have a free lunch. Dinic’s Roast Pork has a sandwich that I think is much better than the big steak places. If you are into ice cream, the Franklin Fountain in old city is a very cool place.

I've been to Scotland twice and they've been two of my favorite trips. Glasgow and Edinburgh are fun and fairly close together but I think you'd be missing out if you didn't venture further north. Some of the prettiest/striking scenery I've ever seen. We spent most of our honeymoon on Skye. It's incredible but I can imagine the influx of tourists could dampen the experience depending on when you're going.

We're planning on going in August I think but nothing is set.

We're planning on going in August I think but nothing is set.

If you go in August, the Edinburgh Festival will be on https://www.eif.co.uk/ - it'll be jam packed but the atmosphere will be good!

Edinburgh is more touristy but there's plenty to do in Glasgow. Art galleries, museums, parks, gigs, bars, restaurants - all that good stuff. You're not far from Loch Lomond / Trossachs National Park either. If you want to keep an eye on gigs this website is useful: https://www.ents24.com/

And of course, there's record shopping: https://www.theskinny.co.uk/students/entertainment/a-guide-to-scotlands-record-shops

As Badams says, venturing further north could be a plan. Pitlochry, The Cairngorms / Spey Valley / Inverness are all nice. If you want to chill out and get better acquainted with nature, there are plenty of walks. There is right to roam in Scotland so you can venture wherever you like. Just make sure if you are going to climb a munro you take the appropriate clothing and supplies.

I've always wanted to check out the western isles: Lewis, Harris etc. They look nice. And the likes of Jura, Mull, Islay.

I really want to get back to a place where I can travel again, barriers right now, spend too much on vinyl, don't have a well-paying job.
Yea I'm itching to get back out there. It's been over a year since my last vacation since money was tight because of buying a house and getting married last year. We might get out to California in the fall, so that would be cool.

It's a little way away yet (February) - but my friends and I are coming across the pond to Boston. So, what's good?
I'm also debating a trip to Boston with my partner in the fall for a concert, so I'm interested in this.
Trying to plan out a trip to Scotland. Any suggestions for things to check out? We’re eyeing Glasgow and Edinburgh (my one true love of a city could be). Open to other stops!

I remember seeing some talk in the old forum but alas. I should have took some screenshots.
Don't really have any suggestions but I was there last fall and both cities were great! Did a lot of wandering in both. The tour of Edinburgh Castle was very cool.

spend too much on vinyl
There is a solution to this!

There is a solution to this!

I know

Speaking of traveling, I really need to hit the North East, I haven't been North of NY in that part of the country, in fact, I only once went North of NYC, drove up to Cooperstown for the Induction for Biggio and was only there for the afternoon and didn't do anything than watch the ceremony

It’s funny, as a Scot, the most striking scenery I’ve seen is in the USA. Yellowstone, Grand Teton, Yosemite. Absolutely incredible scenes.
I’ve never made it to Skye though. It’s on the list but as it’s fairly local it’s taken for granted.

Has anyone here been to Efteling in the Netherlands? Trying to plan a family vacation, and I'm wondering if this would be a good place to spend a couple of days with our 3 y/o daughter? Or would she still be too young to get much out of it?

Okay folks, some friends and I are planning a trip to Japan next March. How do you recommend we get there? Louisville's airport is too small and expensive. Is it worth it to drive to Chicago, stay overnight and fly out of there? Or would you recommend Indianapolis or Cincinnati? I'll take any other related suggestions also!

Okay folks, some friends and I are planning a trip to Japan next March. How do you recommend we get there? Louisville's airport is too small and expensive. Is it worth it to drive to Chicago, stay overnight and fly out of there? Or would you recommend Indianapolis or Cincinnati? I'll take any other related suggestions also!
I've never been to Japan, but it's on my short list... So I'm always looking for good deals to get there. Of the airports you listed, Chicago is probably your best bet for "cheap" flights. If you're flexible, that probably means about $600-650 round trip. But flexibility is the key. It's probably worth it to make the drive, especially if all of you share gas/hotel costs. I'm assuming flights out of Louisville are in the $1k+ range?

Google Flights is your friend, especially if you don't have your heart set on going on specific dates. I would think March is probably before Cherry Blossom season (usually early April, and a little more expensive to get over there).

My wife and I went to Tokyo in mid-March this year. It was right before the official cherry blossom season started so it wasn't quite as insane (relatively speaking) but we were still able to catch some early blooms. Probably my favorite trip ever? Already want my next big trip to be back to Japan. I don't have any good flight advice but I did find it cheaper than I expected once we got there.

Gonna resurrect this baby.

Going to Japan next year! two weeks, May into June. Anybody been? Suggestions?
Since you are in the Tokyo region, I would say if possible try to do a day trip to Kamakura & Nara, if you enjoy Mt. climbing, Fuji is a quick train away, climb at night so you can be there for the sunrise in the morning (one of the best experiences of my trip there). If you go to Kamakura, there is a guy who sells coffee out of his van, buy some, it's great. You also mentioned going to Osaka, if so you can probably take a day trip to Himeji and see the beautiful castle there. Hope that helps a bit

Back