The Tom Waits Thread

I agree with @Tyr, fantastic list here so thanks for linking it @Jan

Not sure if this is common knowledge but Waits starred in a fantastic 1986 film called Down by Law. Its a fantastic film, well worth watching. The dialogue is really well written throughout and its just a really great film. The whole thing can actually be found on youtube as well:

Not sure if this is common knowledge but Waits starred in a fantastic 1986 film called Down by Law. Its a fantastic film, well worth watching. The dialogue is really well written throughout and its just a really great film. The whole thing can actually be found on youtube as well:

I'm a huge fan of Down By Law. In addition to Tom being awesome in it, it introduced me to Roberto Benigni. who of course went on to make Life is Beautiful; a top 10 movie for me...maybe even top 3.

I'm a huge fan of Down By Law. In addition to Tom being awesome in it, it introduced me to Roberto Benigni. who of course went on to make Life is Beautiful; a top 10 movie for me...maybe even top 3.
There is actually another p4k article about how tom waits and jim jarmusch met and about all their collaborations since down by law

I am seriously considering buying a sealed copy of Bone Machine for 250 bucks. (Discogs seller) I've never spent that much on a record, aside from a box set.
I've yet to purchase via the Cogs, so I am hesitant. I think if I saw it at a local store I'd have less of a problem.

If the seller has good reviews then it may be worth the risk if you're ok at that price. More informed can tell you what to look for to make sure it's a legit pressing. Only risk with sealed is that it doesn't guarantee it's flat/perfect.

If the seller has good reviews then it may be worth the risk if you're ok at that price. More informed can tell you what to look for to make sure it's a legit pressing. Only risk with sealed is that it doesn't guarantee it's flat/perfect.
Seller has just one review, a positive one.
But I agree about it being sealed, I'd be pretttty bummed to get a super warped one. I have a bootleg version, but at least it's playable.
I'm probably going to chicken out...maybe someday I'll find one in the wild.

Seller has just one review, a positive one.
But I agree about it being sealed, I'd be pretttty bummed to get a super warped one. I have a bootleg version, but at least it's playable.
I'm probably going to chicken out...maybe someday I'll find one in the wild.

Idk what they're going for these days but I will say cum my own buying, $250 for a "grail" type record is better than $250 for a few albums I won't spin as often

I am seriously considering buying a sealed copy of Bone Machine for 250 bucks. (Discogs seller) I've never spent that much on a record, aside from a box set.
I've yet to purchase via the Cogs, so I am hesitant. I think if I saw it at a local store I'd have less of a problem.
Definitely use PayPal for some sort of buyer protection and confirm with the seller before purchasing that it is the official release and not a boot. Seller might know the history of the record and where they got it. Personally, I’d just wait on a reissue unless you really want the original pressing. Like others have said, sealed doesn’t always mean perfect. Also, the original CD sounds fantastic and I’m sure a reissue will pop up one of these days (even though it’s been years of hoping for one).

Personally, I’d just wait on a reissue unless you really want the original pressing.
I read somewhere that the hold up on the re-issues of that part of his catalog (Island Years) are on hold until the masters are free from Island's control, which is still apparently a few years away.
I mean, I think EVERYone wants to see that batch re-issued: Swordfish, Rain Dogs, Frank's, Bone and Black Rider.

I read somewhere that the hold up on the re-issues of that part of his catalog (Island Years) are on hold until the masters are free from Island's control, which is still apparently a few years away.
I mean, I think EVERYone wants to see that batch re-issued: Swordfish, Rain Dogs, Frank's, Bone and Black Rider.

Oh no! I was hoping Island would just release them as is. Hopefully they don’t fuck with them and completely mess them up like the Asylum ones. Had to go OG and rhino hunting for them the remasters were so bad.

Oh no! I was hoping Island would just release them as is. Hopefully they don’t fuck with them and completely mess them up like the Asylum ones. Had to go OG and rhino hunting for them the remasters were so bad.
I did the same for the most part.

I was fortunate enough to luck out on an OG Bone Machine a few years back. It was listed with the front cover only for £30 so I guess people assumed it was the bootleg. Fortunately, I had a copy of the bootleg at the time and was able to compare and risk the buy. One of the biggest jumps in listening quality that I have experienced from that bootleg to the original, big jump.

Now I just need to find a copy of the Black Rider to replace the awful boot I have of that.

I did the same for the most part.

I was fortunate enough to luck out on an OG Bone Machine a few years back. It was listed with the front cover only for £30 so I guess people assumed it was the bootleg. Fortunately, I had a copy of the bootleg at the time and was able to compare and risk the buy. One of the biggest jumps in listening quality that I have experienced from that bootleg to the original, big jump.

Now I just need to find a copy of the Black Rider to replace the awful boot I have of that.
I bought the boot of Bone Machine because I just couldn't put it back down once I saw it in the store. It's not great. Honestly I'd probably buy a Black Rider boot as well. I have an OG Rain Dogs, but it has a skip, so I'd definitely replace that one too someday.

It is my white whale. I just hold out hope we see a remaster/repress someday.

This seems like the place to ask, I've had Tom Waits on my "to listen to" list for what seems like forever and have dipped in here or there but never fully committed, I'm planning on changing that so I'll ask you all here, where do I start?

This seems like the place to ask, I've had Tom Waits on my "to listen to" list for what seems like forever and have dipped in here or there but never fully committed, I'm planning on changing that so I'll ask you all here, where do I start?

Tom pretty has 3 distinct phases to his career beginning with the drunken lounge lizard before getting weird in the 80s and becoming the elder statesman he is now from the late 90s onward.

If you want to start at the beginning of each phase, you're looking at Closing Time, Swordfishtrombones and Mule Variations. All of which are iconic in their own right.

My personal favorites from Phases 1 and 3 are Small Change and Real Gone.

Nighthawks at the Diner might be his best off the early stage. That or Small Change imo. Then Rain Dogs and Swordfishtrombones in his middle years, Mule Variations or Bad As Me for later years. Really nearly all his albums are worth checking out.

Nighthawks at the Diner is a super cool album for sure - they set the studio up like a club and played four shows (I think) for a small audience and recorded.

Glitter and Doom Live is a great live document of late era Tom too.

Back