The Technics Turntable Fan Club - Questions, Advice, Discussion

What turntable do you have on your first system & how does it compare?
My 1st system has the Mofi Ultradeck. The sound opened up and was more revealing. Wider soundstage with depth as well for the first time. More details and air between instruments. I think the Mofi brings a quieter background in general.

Conversely, the Technics sounded more closed in and darker when I've swapped it back in to the main setup. When I did that, I was using the same Grado Gold3 cart for comparison, so all things were equal in the comp.

That said, the Technics is still great and I'll never sell it. It does bass better, speed change is a breeze (not that Mofi is difficult) and I don't have to be as careful when using it. It scaled up with my other gear as that improved too, but it wasn't my endgame TT, and I came across a killer deal on the Mofi, so here we are.

Great idea, thank you for tagging, Turbo.

My current setup contains the following pieces:

Technics 1210 MK 2
Benz Micro Silver on Jelco HS 25
Pro-Ject Phono Box S2
Yamaha AS-1100
Yamaha CD-S1000
Bowers & Wilkins 683 S2 White
Black Connect LS wires

On top. Think the cork would be enough? I should give it a go.

Did you try this? Curious how it turned out.

When I took the rubber OEM mat off my platter and started using the Herbie's, the sound opened up a bit. A little tighter bass and clearer highs if that makes sense. Curious if the cork mat makes a difference too. Is the diameter of your cork mat big enough to fully cover the platter?

Did you try this? Curious how it turned out.

When I took the rubber OEM mat off my platter and started using the Herbie's, the sound opened up a bit. A little tighter bass and clearer highs if that makes sense. Curious if the cork mat makes a difference too. Is the diameter of your cork mat big enough to fully cover the platter?
Yeah, I removed the mat everything is working and sounding just fine. The heavy rubber mat under my cork mat was likely a bit of overkill.

If anybody wants to add their Technics set-ups to the first post, please post in this thread or send me a PM...

IMPORTANT: To make sure I don't miss it if you add your set-up in this thread, please @ me or respond to this post.

EDITED 2021-02-28: Post edited to update invitation, now that everyone that was tagged is added to the first post!

I'll join the club!

Turntable: Technics SP-10 mk2 with TimeStep power supply
Tonearm: Jelco SA-750E
Mats: Achromat Funk Firm & Soundeck
Cartridge: Denon DL-103R in aftermarket aluminum body, rebuilt by SoundSmith with their boron cantilever
Phono preamp: Phonomena II
Integrated amp: McIntosh MA-6200
Speakers: Finalists (DIY)

I'll join the club!

Cartridge: Denon DL-103R in aftermarket aluminum body, rebuilt by SoundSmith with their boron cantilever
Welcome! We need pics.

I'll join the club!

You're in! Welcome!

so has one of you ever hit the lid with a record and caused a big scratch on the vinyl, while being intoxicated ?

hasnt happened to me for several years now

LOL, I had hinges installed for about 2 months until I realized that the fact they won't open to the full 90 degrees is a problem.

I put the rubber stoppers back on the lid and went back to just lifting it on and off.

Now if hinges that opened the full 90 degrees existed...

so has one of you ever hit the lid with a record and caused a big scratch on the vinyl, while being intoxicated ?

hasnt happened to me for several years now
I have a dust cover with working hinges but still make it a point to completely remove the dustcover every time I spin records. I find it more aesthetically appealing and don’t have to worry about it getting in the way during a listening session.

Back