The Technics Turntable Fan Club - Questions, Advice, Discussion

The mono AT I just received is even shorter.
I couldn't find my old cork mat today.
Probably burned it in a old mailer box accidentally.

Instead grabbed a Technics 6 mil off ebay for $50.
I didn't like the cork flakes with the mat anyway.
Single rubber mat keeps it looking tidy.

Azimuth block is also on the way.🍺
I should be dialed in nicely then.

Good deal on the Tech mat — have the older versions on my older Techs without the rubberized platter. Is there a good NOS source or you went used?

I ordered two sets of new AT leads.

Swapping the AT leads tonight and ran into a little quality issue. Mono cart is not getting the lead wire upgrade, at least for now.

My ST cart and headshell moved from 15g to 16g with the new AT leads. Mono cart is also at 16g with original Technics leads. So nice balance for easy cart swapping.

Take away the AT leads are beefier than stock Technics leads in the pic. Shrink tubing could be adding some weight also...

My digital scale doesn't have decimal setting for the grams weight but both carts with HS are at a minimum registering 16g now. I will have to return the mono replacement leads for a defective terminal and may just leave it with Technics leads so both ST/mono carts stay in 16g range now.

New leads on ST cart sound good. Need some more time in the seat to hear more.

20220920_201338.jpg20220920_201312.jpg

I received the new 6mil mat. Definitely mics out all of that too.
Wanted to to see if this logic makes sense.

When referencing the Technics tone arm height table, did I add essentially 3 mill to the cart height with a 3 mil thicker mat? I'm now right under 3 the on height control position settings.
16.5 cart height plus 3 mil would be 19.5mil?

Picked up a VTA block and that seems to check out.
Although a level tonearm and level cart doesn't seem to be the exact same on this setup. I decided to go with leveling the cart.

Last edited:
I upgraded to a Technics 1500 in May (with a Sumiko Olymia cart) in May in part because my Planar II did not play friendly with clamps / weights... and then was told by a local shop that such things were not good for helping with warps, only for sound dampening.

But now over on the vinyl flat thread I'm reading otherwise.

Doea anyone here have thoughts on this? And / or have suggestions on a compatible clamp / weight they like?

A heat wave warped a solid chunk of my collection during a 2018. Now that I'm in Chicago instead of LA and in a place with central AC, I am in the middle of a lengthy attempt at fixing the affected records. But even with a flat, its rare to get a record back to its original shape and, with minor warps, often not worth the effort.

(for what it’s worth, you can definitely get records back to original shape provided the warps are gentle and not, like, an acute edge warp that flings the cartridge out of the groove)

Trying to set up my Technics 1200GR with the Hana EL and I’m having issues with the cartridge. I think I’m following the directions but obviously something’s not right/user error. I use the counterweight to make the tonearm level and then I turn the dial to 2. It registers as .2g on my stylus gauge which is way too light. The arms just bounces around and I don’t think that should be happening. It gets even worse when I set the anti-skate to 2 to match the 2g. Help! Please! I see that the manual says it requires cartridges of 5.6 grams and the Hana is 5. Do I need an extra weight on the headshell?

Trying to set up my Technics 1200GR with the Hana EL and I’m having issues with the cartridge. I think I’m following the directions but obviously something’s not right/user error. I use the counterweight to make the tonearm level and then I turn the dial to 2. It registers as .2g on my stylus gauge which is way too light. The arms just bounces around and I don’t think that should be happening. It gets even worse when I set the anti-skate to 2 to match the 2g. Help! Please! I see that the manual says it requires cartridges of 5.6 grams and the Hana is 5. Do I need an extra weight on the headshell?

Stupid question just to make sure: when you spin the dial, you spin the actual weight and not just the plastic part in front?

Well it thought it said to hold the weight and spin the black part…let me check that.

Just in case - You dial the front plastic part to zero when you have the tonearm in full balance. Then you dial the back to the weight you want. The front will move with it. The counter weight should move a decent amount on the tonearm when you do that.

Ah thank you. that was to set the gauge to zero. I’m getting 3.6 grams now but that’s progress!

Oh good! It sounded to me like you weren't adding any weight so the only thing I could think is that you were inadvertently spinning only the plastic bit. It's a bit confusing at first but the system works really well.

Oh good! It sounded to me like you weren't adding any weight so the only thing I could think is that you were inadvertently spinning only the plastic bit. It's a bit confusing at first but the system works really well.
Thank for setting me on the right track. HiFiGuy called me and walked me though it. Super easy now that I know! First record sounds really great.

Here’s my set up:

Turntable: Technics 1200G
Receiver: Marantz 2285B
Speakers: Denton 80th anniversary
Cartridge : Grado Gold
Record Mat: Hex-Mat Yellowbird

This is the best sounding setup I ever owned.

Nice!

Added to the 1st post. @ me directly if you need to make changes to it - I don't always see the posts in this thread.

Thank for setting me on the right track. HiFiGuy called me and walked me though it. Super easy now that I know! First record sounds really great.
I hate that if you don't frequent a thread on a regular basis you don't get notifications. That said, I'm glad @HiFi Guy was able to get you set up properly :)

Hi all
I'm considering picking up the Technics 100c from Amazon UK (it's not for sale locally where I live in Australia).

I understand the power voltage is the same in the UK and Australia so I should be fine there, is there anything else I need to be concerned about though?

thanks!

Hi all
I'm considering picking up the Technics 100c from Amazon UK (it's not for sale locally where I live in Australia).

I understand the power voltage is the same in the UK and Australia so I should be fine there, is there anything else I need to be concerned about though?

thanks!
I think you'll love it. It's usually on sale on Amazon sites - good luck.

Back