The Taproom (aka Anything and Everything Beer)

I homebrew a very delicious Porter. But I always get a more coffee finish. I'll have to find a way to get chocolate in there.
How's the homebrewing industry and hobby doing lately? I brewed for a dozen years, up until 2022, when I hung up my conical clamps. I heard the "golden years" were over now.

I homebrew a very delicious Porter. But I always get a more coffee finish. I'll have to find a way to get chocolate in there.
It’s been a long time since I’ve home brewed (kids and all), I think the best way to do that would be certain types of malt and then racking with cocoa nibs.

How's the homebrewing industry and hobby doing lately? I brewed for a dozen years, up until 2022, when I hung up my conical clamps. I heard the "golden years" were over now.
Down here it's hit a lull. 10 years ago everyone was homebrewing and opening up microbrew pubs. It was hip and cool. Here we have a homebrewers association and we have annual competitions and expos. But the hype has gone and costs have gone up. I've even stopped buying expensive beers and just stayed with independent macro brews. Whatever money I don't spend on vinyl, I buy some hops and grains and start the month long process of homebrewing. But it is a challenge with kids and work.

Down here it's hit a lull. 10 years ago everyone was homebrewing and opening up microbrew pubs. It was hip and cool. Here we have a homebrewers association and we have annual competitions and expos. But the hype has gone and costs have gone up. I've even stopped buying expensive beers and just stayed with independent macro brews. Whatever money I don't spend on vinyl, I buy some hops and grains and start the month long process of homebrewing. But it is a challenge with kids and work.
Hops costs were killing my homebrew budget, and brewing prep/brew/clean time was like 8 hours. I have two kids and wife and job and a music habit. Not worth it. Same with the expensive brewery beers. I wouldn't blink at buying $20 bombers of barrel aged stout. Now I dont even look at them. Probably 30 diff hazys in the store to choose from, and somehow they all taste the same. Bells Two Hearted and I'm all set nowadays. It was fun though...

I've grown kinda tired of all the IPAs. I generally like the style and it's offshoots and have been drinking them for decades, but now I just wanna drink basically anything else. Sometimes I just want a savory 5% ABV lager. Nothing fancy. Just a simple, refreshing beer. Most days I prefer stouts, imperials especially. But...yeah, quads, dopplebocks, amber ales, craft pilsners.

I've grown kinda tired of all the IPAs. I generally like the style and it's offshoots and have been drinking them for decades, but now I just wanna drink basically anything else. Sometimes I just want a savory 5% ABV lager. Nothing fancy. Just a simple, refreshing beer. Most days I prefer stouts, imperials especially. But...yeah, quads, dopplebocks, amber ales, craft pilsners.
Same. Loving a good lager at the moment.

Homebrewing is an 8 to 10 hour ordeal between looking for all the gadgets, washing everything down, prepping the tools, actual mashing and boiling, cooling and filtering, and then cleaning everything before being stashed away. I used to brew with my brother and cousin and have the kids running around because of course they're curious about the endeavor. Started at 8 AM on a Saturday and end in the late afternoon. And then come back every week to check on the bubbles. And then 4 to 5 weeks later go through the actual bottling / kegging. And all that for 4 to 5 gallons (15 to 20 liters) of beer. The process is fun and I can check it out from my bucket list and call myself a homebrewer, but it's just not worth the effort anymore when I can pick up a tasty cheaper beer from the store.

I'm done with all the fruity flavors. Don't care anymore for raspberry infused this of citrus that. Stopped drinking Belgians all together. Lagers, Red/Amber Ales, Porters, Stouts. Maybe an IPA when I'm in the mood, which is rarely nowadays.

Anyhow, it'a 10 AM here and I'm done with yard work. Now to enjoy 2 pints of lagger from the bottle. Cheers.

20231214_192332.jpg

Russian River Brewing has finally come to Fabulous Las Vegas. My favorite spot, The Silver Stamp received their first keg last Thursday of Pliny The Elder which I missed out on, but they had another one today. Stopped by after work and had my first sip sip.

IMG_1335.jpeg

Russian River Brewing has finally come to Fabulous Las Vegas. My favorite spot, The Silver Stamp received their first keg last Thursday of Pliny The Elder which I missed out on, but they had another one today. Stopped by after work and had my first sip sip.

View attachment 196228
1029231629.jpg

Totally forgot to post about this here, but for the last 6 month or so, my wife and I have been going to a monthly beer club at what used to be her local pub. For a pretty cheap annual price, you get a monthly talk from a local brewer, where you get 4-5 samples, a pub meal, and a good laugh. On top of that, you get a tankard and a nice shirt with your name on it!

IMG_0920.jpegIMG_0921.jpeg

Back