The Roost - All things Animal Crossing: New Horizons for Nintendo Switch

Moving this over here. Love it so far. Slowly unlocking things, animals are warming up to me. Sending me out to run errands and such.

The only complaints I've heard are about how the second villager/user account (aka me, as my wife started the game) doesn't have as much access to certain things, especially at the beginning, but it hasn't affected me much.

Thanks for making me aware of this thread. GameCube version was very close to my heart in high school, but I haven’t played any other version.

Bought a Switch a month ago and then nearly impulse bought this the day it dropped because LA was going on lockdown. But I balked for a couple reasons:

A) The appeal of AC has always been its similarities to Harvest Moon (64). I’m not big on Minecraft / No Man Sky type stuff so the idea of “building” an island seems daunting and like something outside of my wheel house.

B) I played way too much Stardew Valley last year

C) I decided to buy Breath of the Wild instead

Funny thing is I sort of regret that decision because I’m already playing a couple single player games during this lockdown (halfway through Shadows of Colossus, just started Mirrors Edge 2 and still have Red Dead 2 in my backlog) so I don’t see myself getting to BotW for awhile.

But now I can browse / watch this thread and think on it instead of potentially wasting $60.

Having never played AC before, I downloaded the game last Friday as it seemed like the ideal thing to keep me busy during this quarantine thing.
Been obsessively playing ever since.

Haven't done much work on my island/house though as I have mostly been focussing on hoarding resources & paying of a new loan every day.
Feel like it will be more fun to really start designing everything when I have more stuff unlocked.
Might need to start working on that before I figure out how this friend code thing works.

Also, a record player was basically the first thing I received.
So on day 1 I had only a sleeping bag, a lamp and a turntable in my house.
What else can you need on a tropical island?

Having never played AC before, I downloaded the game last Friday as it seemed like the ideal thing to keep me busy during this quarantine thing.
Been obsessively playing ever since.

Haven't done much work on my island/house though as I have mostly been focussing on hoarding resources & paying of a new loan every day.
Feel like it will be more fun to really start designing everything when I have more stuff unlocked.
Might need to start working on that before I figure out how this friend code thing works.

Also, a record player was basically the first thing I received.
So on day 1 I had only a sleeping bag, a lamp and a turntable in my house.
What else can you need on a tropical island?

The nice thing about the game for me is that everybody can play it completely different and that's totally fine. It's also the type of thing that I can play an hour a day, or six hours a day and I rarely get tired of it.

My personal goals usually have to do more with getting every fish/bug/fossil and donating them to the museum, collecting every type of fruit... I don't typically care as much about how my character looks or even how fast i pay off my loans.

My wife and I have made some good progress so far. 5 villagers in our town, we have Nook's Cranny and the Museum. Resident Services is down today for construction, to change into an actual building.

Thanks for making me aware of this thread. GameCube version was very close to my heart in high school, but I haven’t played any other version.

Bought a Switch a month ago and then nearly impulse bought this the day it dropped because LA was going on lockdown. But I balked for a couple reasons:

A) The appeal of AC has always been its similarities to Harvest Moon (64). I’m not big on Minecraft / No Man Sky type stuff so the idea of “building” an island seems daunting and like something outside of my wheel house.

B) I played way too much Stardew Valley last year

C) I decided to buy Breath of the Wild instead

Funny thing is I sort of regret that decision because I’m already playing a couple single player games during this lockdown (halfway through Shadows of Colossus, just started Mirrors Edge 2 and still have Red Dead 2 in my backlog) so I don’t see myself getting to BotW for awhile.

But now I can browse / watch this thread and think on it instead of potentially wasting $60.

You should give it a shot at some point. They really oversold the whole "island building" concept because most things just progress naturally as usual, and the game has come a long way since the Gamecube version.

I've personally been to seven mystery islands and they've all been apples (our native fruit) but my wife has been luckier, finding bamboo shoots and pears.

I went to a mystery island yesterday and caught 25 Emperor Butterflies. It was basically all the island had along with a few rock deposits. Dumped my entire inventory and sold the butterflies for 100k bells.

sunk more time in my village last night. it was only day two so not a ton of stuff to do, but did pay off the initial loan of 5k Miles and had them start construction on my house and museum. I was able to donate about half the animals/bugs I caught but not all of them for some reason, not sure why.

seems like for the foreseeable future I'll only be able to play at night. not sure how that will affect my game and ability to do stuff/events.

Last edited:
sunk more time in my village last night. it was only day two so not a ton of stuff to do, but did pay off the initial loan of 5k Miles and had them start construction on my house and museum. I was able to donate about half the animals/bugs I caught but not all of them for some reason, not sure why.

seems like for the foreseeable future I'll only be able to play at night. not sure how that will affect my game and ability to do stuff/events.

it'll at least improve your odds of catching some rare fish before the month is out.

2 islands visited...and the same damn fruit as mine (apples) did end up catching some bugs and grabbed some coconuts ...still trying to collect 30 iron to help build the new store

if you dig a couple of strategically positioned holes to keep you from being pushed away from the stone, you can mine 8 times on any given rock.

2 islands visited...and the same damn fruit as mine (apples) did end up catching some bugs and grabbed some coconuts ...still trying to collect 30 iron to help build the new store
I have pears on my island. I guess if anyone wants them I can share my island code so you can come visit and grab some

Last edited:
Back