The Return of the Challenge Thread - February 2020

Day 20 - Outta This World
Spin an album that sounds like outer space feels

I'm gonna go with a very underrated/underappreciated album from 2016. At the time, this isn't what most folks wanted out of Ray LaMontagne. Most wanted 'Trouble' part II. Instead they got Pink Floyd via a farm in the NE. Their loss.

Your space vibe is here - everything from coldness, isolation and insanity to self reflection and a trippy astral atmosphere.

Highly recommended if this one happened to fly underneath your radar.

Ray LaMontagne - Ouroboros

20200219_234342.jpg

Day 12 - Very Instrumental
Steve Reich - Music For 18 Musicians

@TenderLovingKiller® beat me to Reich but he didn't take my pick, so I'm still spinning it. Absolutely love this magnificent study in evolving repetition, even if the LP splits it in two.

View attachment 33536
TBH this is my favorite of his. I just haven’t found a nice/affordable copy (your copy looks super clean). I kinda hope it gets reissued.

I'm gonna go with a very underrated/underappreciated album from 2016. At the time, this isn't what most folks wanted out of Ray LaMontagne. Most wanted 'Trouble' part II. Instead they got Pink Floyd via a farm in the NE. Their loss.

Your space vibe is here - everything from coldness, isolation and insanity to self reflection and a trippy astral atmosphere.

Highly recommended if this one happened to fly underneath your radar.

Ray LaMontagne - Ouroboros

View attachment 33538

This album became very appreciated when Amazon was selling it for 6 bucks. I think everyone in the VMP forum picked one up. It is one of my favorite "newer" albums.

Day 20: Outta This World

Going a bit on the nose with this one...gonna pop in the movie, too.

Specifically playing the 2nd record - the Soundtrack to "For All Mankind"

Brian Eno With Daniel Lanois & Roger Eno ‎– Apollo: Atmospheres & Soundtracks (Extended Edition)
UMC ‎– 774 777-2, 1983/2019

Cut by Miles Showell at Abbey Road
Pressed at Optimal

9tyDWF.jpg

lJfUKB.jpg

0Dv4nx.jpg

TBH this is my favorite of his. I just haven’t found a nice/affordable copy (your copy looks super clean). I kinda hope it gets reissued.
Yeah, I lucked out with an eBay seller who wasn't interested in grading, but all their stuff was in great shape, got that for $20, US Mono Who Sell Out for $10, OG US Tommy for $7. All solid VG+. Gotta love those good eBay digs. Always helps to send someone a message with a crummy listing. They had everything listed as very good but didn't seem to know what that means.

Day 19 - world

Catrin Finch & Seckou Keita

World is a weird concept. My work has a World department, which means everywhere except the UK! Whatever it is, this feels it. A Welsh harpist and Senegalese kora player come together for a seamless and perfect album, about the osprey, immigration, flooding of Welsh valleys and so much more. Beautiful.

20200220_172149.jpg

Astronoid - Air
View attachment 33540
Astronoid are a metally shoegazey Massachusetts band. Their debut album, Air is the soundtrack to blasting through space at the speed of light on a rocket ship.

Ha, I totally forgot about this album (and I own it!). Definitely unlikely anything else I have. I'll try to get to it during my weekend spins.

Day 19 - It’s A Small World After All

Ali Touré Farka - Ali Farka Touré (Sonafric, 1976 First Pressing)

I was tempted to spin a William Onyeabor record for this day but seeing as I have already picked him, I will go for Ali Farka Touré. This is a sensational album and one that I was able to get at a crazy cheap price. Killer music!

IMG_3641.JPG

Day 20 - outta this world

Antonio Sanches - Buli Povo

@D Jilla played this yesterday but this feels outer space to me too. Analog Africa entitled their compilation from Cabo Verde as "Space Echo" featuring one of Buli Povo's songs as the lead track. This album, full of mad synths and amazing rhythms, is definitely in my African top 10. I tried to track down an OG through a friendly air hostess but they were crazy expensive. Stratospheric music.

20200220_173014.jpg

Day 20: Outta This World
David Bowie-Ziggy

Thanks to the new High Fidelity show talking about top 5 Bowie, I started a playthrough of what I have from his discography last night. I currently have 14 of his, and am here today on my stack. Not much to say that hasn't been said about this album, but fits the theme well, and is absolutely out of this world.IMG_20200220_135745.jpg

Back