The Return of the Challenge Thread - February 2020

Day 19 - It’s A Small World After All
Spin something that would fall under the vague “World” section at your local record store

My favorite "world" music band.

Some were forced to flee their own country. Some were rebel fighters to restore a stable, ethical government. As a collective they built a makeshift studio in the desert and recorded music for free for anyone who'd give them a blank cassette.

This is what true love of and dedication to music is about. It's not about limos, extravagant lifestyles, being an influencer on social media, costume changes and over the top stage shows. That stuff is all a smokescreen. These musicians are as real as it gets.

I can't understand a word on this record but I totally get the passion and the urgency. That's what music is all about.

Tinariwen - Tassili + 10:1

20200219_003821.jpg

Day 17: Very Presidential

Because 'Merica

Tangerine Dream ‎– Encore
Virgin ‎– PZG 35014, 1977

Promo

Cut by George Piros at Atlantic Studios
Pressed at Columbia, Terre Haute

XVbLTu.jpg

XmzKXR.jpg

Day 18: Spill The Wine

I've tried many times to get into wine, I just can't do it. Which sucks because I hear about all these great wineries we have around me in the Oregon valley. You know what else we have?

Breweries.

Fear ‎– More Beer
Fear Records/Atom Age Industries ‎– none, 1985/2016

2LP's with original album and alternate mixes/versions

Limited to 500 on red vinyl and black gatefold sleeve - this one is also signed.

Pressed at Vinyl Record Pressing LLC

ZS1KM2.jpg

RazCqj.jpg

l9eyNJ.jpg

And no...I'm not actually drinking this beer at 7:40 in the morning.

I was gonna wait til about 10ish to start.

Day 19 - It’s A Small World After All
Spin something that would fall under the vague “World” section at your local record store
Gyedu-Blau Ambolley - The Message
6E597C8B-1D5F-48B5-8473-F6D5DC6B7C36.jpeg
It’s just been within the last few years that I have began exploring “World” music in earnest. I have been partial to Afro-Beat from the beginning it’s just so much fun to bop along to. This record features some of Ambolley’s early 80s singles. It is a mishmash of Afro-Beat and Disco, it’s pure joy! This was released on the amazing German label Analog Africa. Pretty much everything they release is astounding.

Day 19: It’s A Small World After All

Not a fan of lumping albums into a "World" category, but I can see why some record stores have to do it.

Peter Gabriel ‎– Passion - Music for The Last Temptation Of Christ, a film by Martin Scorsese
Real World Records ‎– PGLPR1X, 1989/2017

Cut by Matt Colton at Alchemy Mastering
Pressed at Optimal

qbnnMG.jpg

Z1p1BJ.jpg

Day 18 - Spill The Wine
In honor of National Wine Day pop a cork and spin an album that you enjoy while imbibing

Emmylou Harris - Pieces of the Sky

Since I pretty much imbibe to everything on my shelf, I'll go with the wine angle here
Emmylou does a nice version of Bluebird Wine to kick off this record.

Also, I'm enjoying a Juice Bigelow while I spin this.

20200219_183639.jpg20200219_184611.jpg

Back