The Reader’s Nook - The N&G Book Thread

Fun story about Meet Me In The Bathroom: Indie(ish) pop sensation Maggie Rogers transcribed a ton of the interviews in it. Also yeah, James seems like a jerk when it comes to his music.

I listened to an interview with Lizzie Goodman and she said she couldn't get any of the DFA people to even reply to her emails let alone agree to an interview for years.... but once they found out Tim Goldsworthy was doing it they all immediately agreed.

Then work came and set us free ;)

Just read The White Van by Patrick Hoffman. Excellent crime fiction. I loved his most recent novel, Every Man A Menace, so I went back and checked this out. Now I'm reading Where the Crawdads Sing by Delia Owens. Not something I'd normally pick out but I had been recommended it a few times recently and I'm enjoying it so far.

I listened to an interview with Lizzie Goodman and she said she couldn't get any of the DFA people to even reply to her emails let alone agree to an interview for years.... but once they found out Tim Goldsworthy was doing it they all immediately agreed.
That makes a lot of sense. There's a lot of bad blood.

Science fiction nerd checking in...

I just started Walkaway by Cory Doctorow and am already fully engrossed. Also almost finished reading The Word for World is Forest by Ursula K Le Guin. Other than that I've mostly occupied my free time with reading philosophy/sociology; rereading Marx and trying to wrap my head around critical theorists like Habermas and Marcusse.

Last edited:
Does anyone read Joan Didion’s work?

I’ve read a few, with ‘Slouching Towards Bethlehem’ being my favorite, and I just started ‘The Year of Magical Thinking’.

“I would always be guarded against artificial roses.” This book is going to rip me apart.
Love her stuff! Did you catch that documentary on her? I think it’s on Netflix.

Looky looky I got a booky thread!

I've actually been on a really bad kick of not finishing many of the books I've picked up:

I got Normal People by Sally Rooney through BOTM and heaved it aside at about 2/3 of the way through. The writing was fine, but the story was panning out to just cover the hot-and-cold relationship between two Irish teens. Like three times they break up for unexplained reasons (at one point, he breaks up with her because she's staying at college over the summer and he's not; otherwise the relationship is going well, and she doesn't even try to say "hey that's a dumb idea, it's just a few months and I like you") and never have a conversation about why the reasons are dumb.

I also read about half of Edan Lepucki's California and got sick of how dumb the characters were. It's definitely one of those books with that trope of a character who is absolutely magnetic to all the other characters, but on the page acts like a complete destructive prick to everyone around them.

I'm still leaving Black Leopard Red Wolf in "currently reading" in Goodreads, but haven't picked it up in months. It was just so fractured and brutal, even once the main "quest" is introduced, I had trouble wanting to know what happened next.

I have finished The Dark Tower 1, Shadow of the Torturer, Circe, Confederacy of Dunces, The High Window, On the Come Up, and am currently a couple dozen pages into Miracle Creek.

I’m about 60% through re-reading Italo Calvino’s Invisible Cities, after which I’ll probably juggle one of his other books with something less highbrow, though I haven’t yet decided what that will be. I do have the illustrated Earthsea sitting around waiting to be opened.

About to finish Bulgakov's 'The Master and Margarita'. It's been a very fun read! Prior to this, I had a run of Murakami books (Norwegian Wood, Colorless Tsukuru Tazaki and His Years of Pilgrimage, Men Without Women). Also read 'In Praise of Shadows' by Jun'ichirō Tanizaki for my book club. Not sure what to read next, but if anyone has any suggestions that are similar in the way Murakami captures the slow pace and struggle of day to day life and love, I'm there!

Looky looky I got a booky thread!

I've actually been on a really bad kick of not finishing many of the books I've picked up:

I got Normal People by Sally Rooney through BOTM and heaved it aside at about 2/3 of the way through. The writing was fine, but the story was panning out to just cover the hot-and-cold relationship between two Irish teens. Like three times they break up for unexplained reasons (at one point, he breaks up with her because she's staying at college over the summer and he's not; otherwise the relationship is going well, and she doesn't even try to say "hey that's a dumb idea, it's just a few months and I like you") and never have a conversation about why the reasons are dumb.

I also read about half of Edan Lepucki's California and got sick of how dumb the characters were. It's definitely one of those books with that trope of a character who is absolutely magnetic to all the other characters, but on the page acts like a complete destructive prick to everyone around them.

I'm still leaving Black Leopard Red Wolf in "currently reading" in Goodreads, but haven't picked it up in months. It was just so fractured and brutal, even once the main "quest" is introduced, I had trouble wanting to know what happened next.

I have finished The Dark Tower 1, Shadow of the Torturer, Circe, Confederacy of Dunces, The High Window, On the Come Up, and am currently a couple dozen pages into Miracle Creek.

Is this the same? Should we merge? I also like the idea of editing the title so that Books is in it. Thoughts? @Joe Mac

I’ll edit the title if you like no worries but we probably should merge seeing as the main focus of other thread is about books, I was just feeling about highbrow when I set it up lmao!

I just got Howard Stern Comes Again. I’m a fan of his show. The book is mostly transcripts of interviews. I’m a major nerd and enjoy this type of thing. Haha.

I do a lot of writing and preparing for interviews with subjects for my job. I’m curious to see if Howard’s explanations help.

This is what I've read so far this year. It's been my goal to read at least 12 books for the past two years now.
  1. The Incomplete Guide To Running - Peter Sagal
  2. Medium Raw - Anthony Bourdain
  3. Beastie Boys Book - Michael Diamond/Adam Horovitz
  4. I’ll Be Gone in the Dark: One Woman’s Obsessive Search for the Golden State Killer - Michelle McNamara
  5. Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams
  6. Vacationland: True Stories from Painful Beaches - John Hodgman
  7. Let’s Go (So We Can Get Back) - Jeff Tweedy
  8. Maeve in America - Maeve Higgins
  9. Born to Run - Christopher McDougall
  10. Hot Sauce Nation - Denver Nicks
  11. Shortest Way Home - Pete Buttigieg
  12. Breakfast of Champions - Kurt Vonnegut
  13. All That You Leave Behind - Erin Lee Carr

Big fan of Tony Bourdain's books, I love Kitchen Confidential as well. Really enjoyable!

is there any fun of Kinky Friedman crime/private investigator's novels?
I'm on the 10th book of the series (I believe it goes up to 15-16) and in this one the main protagonist is Country Star Willie Nelson.
the books are funny, a bit iconoclastic and definitely dated, since the language won't pass the PC threshold.

Back