The Official Needles and Grooves 1001 Album Generator Project

Very good album. Not their fault "Smoke on the Water" became every learning guitarist's first riff and soundtracked every visit to every music store for the next five decades. "Highway Star" and "Space Truckin'" are fantastic bookends.
Smoke is also the ringtone on my phone. 😎

3/11/24
View attachment 197487
The Kinks - Arthur or the Decline and Fall of the British Empire

Love this album and The Kinks. They are a band I enjoy a ton now since they were one I didn’t pay as much attention to in my formative years. I think it was Wes Anderson’s heavy use of Lola Versus Powerman And The Moneygoround on the Darjeeling Limited that inspired me to give them a deep dive. Arthur one of, if not their best album from a band that made a lot of great records.

I want to follow up on Deep Purple for a second. Having listened to a total of three of their albums now, the other being Fireball, they come off a bit like a heavy metal Grateful Dead. This on paper should be my thing, but it isn’t.

Still not updating at 11. Will post pick in the morning.

In the meantime, read Rolling Stone’s weird ass review of Arthur:

They might have been doing too many drugs in the RS offices back then.

Me at work today when someone asks me to do something.

5JQP.gif

I didn’t care for Rage too much when they first hit. Mostly because I didn’t, still don’t, like Zach’s voice. They also felt a little pretentious, still do. However, I warmed up to them over the past decade or so. The band is incredibly tight. Morello is a lot but his guitar work is a lot of fun. The album is good but a little long, if you are working out or mowing the lawn or something it’s great but a critical listen gets tiresome after thirty minutes or so… it’s a lot.

I didn’t care for Rage too much when they first hit. Mostly because I didn’t, still don’t, like Zach’s voice. They also felt a little pretentious, still do. However, I warmed up to them over the past decade or so. The band is incredibly tight. Morello is a lot but his guitar work is a lot of fun. The album is good but a little long, if you are working out or mowing the lawn or something it’s great but a critical listen gets tiresome after thirty minutes or so… it’s a lot.
I played football in high school, Rage was a weight room staple along with Pantera and Metallica. I didn’t even really get the politics of it all until Evil Empire dropped. Beyond that it was very anti-authority which as a punk teenager was a big part of the appeal.

I played football in high school, Rage was a weight room staple along with Pantera and Metallica. I didn’t even really get the politics of it all until Evil Empire dropped. Beyond that it was very anti-authority which as a punk teenager was a big part of the appeal.
My athletic days were far behind me and I was a Sophomore in college when this came out. The singles were interesting but I really disliked his voice and they were so full of themselves.

Back