The Official Needles and Grooves 1001 Album Generator Project

3/6/24
View attachment 196997
Violent Femmes - Violent Femmes

Classic. A Top-Notched debut. Violent Femmes Greatest Hits comp Add It Up was my introduction to The Femmes, it was super popular amongst us 7th grader in my small Midwestern town for some reason. Nearly all my friends had a copy amongst their Nirvana, Weezer, Green Day, Snoop Dogg, and Dr. Dre. CDs.

I listened to the "Life of the Record" podcast about the making of this album the other day, and I've never really understood exactly how young Gordon Gano was when he wrote most of the songs on this album. This is authentic teen angst! I loved this when I was in "gymnasiet" (that would be senior high to you americans). I actually think my introduction to this was when Ethan Hawke played "Add It Up" to Winona Ryder in "Reality Bites" (!), or maybe I had heard "Blister in the Sun" before that, I don't really remember. Still such a great, assured and unique debut album, which they've never really topped since. I really like both Hallowed Ground and Why Do Birds Sing?, though.

Last edited:
2/29/24
ab67616d0000b273d6853c479a99458751235e39

Captain Beefheart and His Magic Band - Trout Mask Replica

(not on Spotify or Qobuz, I’m assuming it still isn’t up on Apple)

Also, seems super fitting this came up for the leap day.

So, today was my first time listening to this in more years than I care to calculate... a few different mes ago, anyhow...

Maybe I've been ruined on a long-time diet of Tom Waits, Primus, Bob Kaufman, William S. Burroughs, Hunter S. Thompson, RC Weslowski and free jazz because I don't really find it to be a difficult listen at all. Sure, I don't always know what the fuck is going on, but I loved it the whole way through!

That said it's not something I would recommend to everybody. Or, really, *most* people.

As for the 2 year old... not a fan of this album! :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
This is wrote I wrote on the site:
Blister in the Sun is an all time classic. This feels like some kids heard Velvet Underground and decided that as awkward as they were they could be in a band too.

There are some very teenage views on sex here that don’t play as well today.

3/7/24
View attachment 197092
Bauhaus - Mask

Great record. Bauhaus borrowed from the past and smelted it into something unique. You can hear their influence in so many bands to come over the next few decades. Peter Murphy, Daniel Ash, David J and Kevin Haskins have never done any wrong in my book no matter the iteration or era.

Last edited:
3/7/24
View attachment 197092
Bauhaus - Mask

This bring back some vivid memories from my college years of the late 90s/early 00s. I had a couple of friends, Anna and Christopher, who I met in my history and litterature classes at the university. We used to hang out in Annas apartment, smoking cigarettes, drinking cheap red wine and having intense discussions about stuff like Herman Hesse, David Lynch and Sartre while listening to bands like Dead Can Dance, Joy Division, Echo and the Bunnymen and Bauhaus. If this sounds like a college goth subculture cliché it's because, yeah, it kinda was. But I had some really good times with them and their friendship has meant a great deal in who I've become today. Those years shaped me in a way.

Our friendship kinda fizzled out after we graduated and life took different turns for us. Christopher got a job and moved to Stockholm. He now seems to have a decent career in publishing and a great family life according to his Facebook feed. Anna became a psychiatrist and post amazing landscape photos on Instagram. I think about calling them from time to time but I never do. Life is weird.

Anyway, listening to it today was wild! It's a great album, and "The Passion of Lovers" could be one of the best songs of the 80s.

Maybe I should send a text to some old friends to remind them of this...

Last edited:
My friend had a theory that Bauhaus was Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars in an alternate reality (or an alternate, alternate reality). Where Ziggy dies for us to save the world (5 years), Bauhaus is what happens if Ziggy didn’t kill himself. My friend did a lot of acid and spent too much time over analyzing albums.

Weird that the only song I recognize from this album is the "fishcakes" part in "1. David Jay 2. Peter Murphy 3. Kevin Haskins 4. Daniel Ash". And that's a bonus track.
Apparently it was in the closing credits of an episode of Daria. that's probably where I know it from. These last 2 days are really bringing back some 90s TV memories.

Back