The Official Needles and Grooves 1001 Album Generator Project

According to drummer Ron Bushy, organist-vocalist Doug Ingle wrote the song one evening while drinking an entire gallon of Red Mountain wine. When the inebriated Ingle then played the song for Bushy, who wrote down the lyrics for him, he was slurring his words so badly that what was supposed to be "in the Garden of Eden" was interpreted by Bushy as "In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida".

TIL

That was an album and that last song goes on for about ten days is my reaction to an initial listen last night.

I’ll give it another listen some time today.

I think this an example of why I’m not bigger into psych (and prog)… you hear good stuff (dig that Dragonfly record that Noble just did) and you’re like “yes!” and then you hear stuff like this and it all seems daunting especially given the stature of this album.

I don’t know though, I’m weird. I’m still trying to figure out why everybody loves that Zombies record.

I hated this album as a kid, but it grew on me as an adult.
A friend from high school had a family tradition where they played this album on Christmas Eve while they decorated their tree every year. They had done it for his entire life without remarking on it at all. He was 18 when it suddenly clicked for him that this is not a Christmas album.

A friend from high school had a family tradition where they played this album on Christmas Eve while they decorated their tree every year. They had done it for his entire life without remarking on it at all. He was 18 when it suddenly clicked for him that this is not a Christmas album.
I imagine the origin story of this tradition is similar to the origin story of the title track.

I wouldn't be surprised if some of my friends had this tradition growing up. Some of their dads were obsessed with this album and played it constantly. Pure Michigan men.

Couple of thoughts about my second listen.

1. Psych rock makes no sense to me… this kind of mid album is ranked four and 1/2 stars and is a classic rock staple. I don’t hate it but I can’t imagine why I would buy this or listen to it on my own. But no one has ever heard of Farm.
2. I actually thought the words to the title song were “In the garden of Eden” and I sang that until I saw it written and was like well what does that mean?

Iron Butterfly was bad. I mean like, really bad. Like almost-ruined-my-whole-day kind of bad.

I love the Mamas and the Papas! Those harmonies are divine, and California Dreamin’ is like a top 20 song of all time, IMHO. It is also featured in a sublime way to express alienation and longing in one of my favorite movies of all time, ”Chunking Express” by Wong Kar-Wai:

Iron Butterfly was bad. I mean like, really bad. Like almost-ruined-my-whole-day kind of bad.

I love the Mamas and the Papas! Those harmonies are divine, and California Dreamin’ is like a top 20 song of all time, IMHO. It is also featured in a sublime way to express alienation and longing in one of my favorite movies of all time, ”Chunking Express” by Wong Kar-Wai:

I was just thinking of that scene

Back