The NBA Thread

Ryan The Office GIFs | Tenor
My take is I'd rather have Philly win it all over ATL, but I'd rather the Bucks play ATL because of home court, and they are a little less scary..

Bud being so giddy at the end of the game that Giannis and Middleton just saved his job was pretty funny.

I also don’t really understand what Nash did as a coach this season. I get that it was a game 7 but of course KD was going to lose his legs at the end from playing such heavy minutes. OT was pretty brutal to watch for both teams.

Bud being so giddy at the end of the game that Giannis and Middleton just saved his job was pretty funny.

I also don’t really understand what Nash did as a coach this season. I get that it was a game 7 but of course KD was going to lose his legs at the end from playing such heavy minutes. OT was pretty brutal to watch for both teams.
Nash seemed like a Tyronn Lue or Jason Kidd type where he was just there to not get in the way a bit of an empty suit. Hardin, Kyrie, and Durant run the show Nash is there to run the rotation and yell at ref when needed.

Nash seemed like a Tyronn Lue or Jason Kidd type where he was just there to not get in the way a bit of an empty suit. Hardin, Kyrie, and Durant run the show Nash is there to run the rotation and yell at ref when needed.
I think Lue is a little underrated now actually. But the Nets didn’t really make many adjustments. I know Nash didn’t have the easiest job with all the injuries this season but it did really seem like you’re right.

This is correct. I was going to create an analytical discussion on this point but I'll save it for the WCF.

By G4 against UTAH, he made adjustments to render Rudy Gobert borderline unplayable.
Bud is the opposite in that he thinks “this is what got us here—it works” even when it doesn’t. Lue (or his staff) is fantastic at making adjustments. He got the label as a bad coach or a coach who does nothing because of Bron, but he’s actually pretty legit. I’d take him over quite a few other head coaches in a playoff series.

Bud is the opposite in that he thinks “this is what got us here—it works” even when it doesn’t. Lue (or his staff) is fantastic at making adjustments. He got the label as a bad coach or a coach who does nothing because of Bron, but he’s actually pretty legit. I’d take him over quite a few other head coaches in a playoff series.
Going into the season I wanted nothing to do with Lue as the Sixers HC, and was pretty happy getting Doc. Watching these 2nd round series is making me rethink both of those

I think Lue is a little underrated now actually. But the Nets didn’t really make many adjustments. I know Nash didn’t have the easiest job with all the injuries this season but it did really seem like you’re right.
Yeah, you’re right about Lou. He’s shown himself to be a pretty decent coach over the past year. I guess he could very well end up like Spoelstra, where everyone initially figured that he was just kind of the middleman between Riley and LeBron but it turned out he was actually talented. Part of being a good head coach is a willingness to adjust your style to align with the players on your roster and Lue has proven capable I’m that regard.

The big coaching openings this upcoming offseason will be in Dallas and New Orleans to see if either organization can bring in a coach that will help salvage the relationship between the teams and their respective young stars.

Yeah, you’re right about Lou. He’s shown himself to be a pretty decent coach over the past year. I guess he could very well end up like Spoelstra, where everyone initially figured that he was just kind of the middleman between Riley and LeBron but it turned out he was actually talented. Part of being a good head coach is a willingness to adjust your style to align with the players on your roster and Lue has proven capable I’m that regard.

The big coaching openings this upcoming offseason will be in Dallas and New Orleans to see if either organization can bring in a coach that will help salvage the relationship between the teams and their respective young stars.
I think Carlisle was assuming the Bucks would lose and wanted that job. D’Antoni would be interesting in Dallas. Portland is intriguing too if they can keep Dame happy.

I wonder if the Blazers go after Johnnie Bryant as a head coach. Hope he doesn’t leave the Knicks but Dame likes him a lot and I think he will be a solid head coach.

Last edited:
Just finished watching the condensed G7 between ATL/PHI.

Trae Young posted a paltry 5/23 FGM, but made three key shots in the final stanza. Even with his misses, his fearless playstyle never put ATL out of the game combined with PHI's inability to capitalize on the mistakes. Kevin "what she doesn't know won't" Huerter came up with his best game, and provided (essentially) the closing role with timely baskets.

But really, we have to talk about Ben Simmons's inexplicable decision to kick out a 100% surefire dunk to a double covered Matisse Thybulle. Why on earth did he do that?!?!? There is undoubtedly some kind of mental block with this guy with having the ball in crunch time, his confidence is shot. It's the same case with Rudy Gobert; his liability on the offensive end ended up with him being benched in the final minute of the game. To add insult to injury, the man was 25/73 from the line in this postseason; absolutely pathetic for an NBA level talent, let alone an All Star. It seems evident that this home loss is Ben's last game wearing a Philadelphia 76ers uniform.

As expected; Doc Rivers was outcoached yet again in the second round. Nate McMillan is yet another underrated coach that, outside of DeAndre Hunter and Cam Reddish, has been guiding a team to play winning basketball with the important pieces healthy.

But really, we have to talk about Ben Simmons's inexplicable decision to kick out a 100% surefire dunk to a double covered Matisse Thybulle. Why on earth did he do that?!?!? There is undoubtedly some kind of mental block with this guy with having the ball in crunch time, his confidence is shot. It's the same case with Rudy Gobert; his liability on the offensive end ended up with him being benched in the final minute of the game. To add insult to injury, the man was 25/73 from the line in this postseason; absolutely pathetic for an NBA level talent, let alone an All Star. It seems evident that this home loss is Ben's last game wearing a Philadelphia 76ers uniform.
Its the moment I knew they lost. I've been one of the biggest Ben supporters I've known over his time in Philly. I've never thought he needed a 3 to be dangerous like many other people(although it would obviously help), just that he needs to hit his FTs at a higher clip. He can drive to the basket on anyone in this league but hes so afraid of shooting FTs that he doesnt. 60% is bad enough but 25/73 is horrendous. He missed more FTs this postseason than the entire Nets team. Games 4 and 5 were the end of my Ben love and game 7 hammered the nail into that coffin. This series hurts more than anything in a long time. At least against the Raptors Kawhi was the best player on the floor and went out there and ripped out the Sixers heart. This series was winnable and while all the respect to the Hawks for winning this series, they did nothing that makes me think they are a good team. I hope the Bucks stomp them in 4 just to prove how far away this Sixers team really is.

Its the moment I knew they lost. I've been one of the biggest Ben supporters I've known over his time in Philly. I've never thought he needed a 3 to be dangerous like many other people(although it would obviously help), just that he needs to hit his FTs at a higher clip. He can drive to the basket on anyone in this league but hes so afraid of shooting FTs that he doesnt. 60% is bad enough but 25/73 is horrendous. He missed more FTs this postseason than the entire Nets team. Games 4 and 5 were the end of my Ben love and game 7 hammered the nail into that coffin. This series hurts more than anything in a long time. At least against the Raptors Kawhi was the best player on the floor and went out there and ripped out the Sixers heart. This series was winnable and while all the respect to the Hawks for winning this series, they did nothing that makes me think they are a good team. I hope the Bucks stomp them in 4 just to prove how far away this Sixers team really is.

Is it fair to say that the Sixers would have probably won the series of Embiid wasn’t injured? He lacked juice during most second halves.

The Butler year was the closest the Process Sixers teams have come to a title. That Toronto series was the ultimate toss up. And while the Bucks were tough then, the Sixers would’ve had a good chance against them (I’m assuming they would’ve also beat the injured Warriors in the finals). Butler was the closer they lacked yesterday; a guy who’s not afraid of contact and going to the line. Having rooted for those mid-2000s Pistons, I remember the calm that came from knowing that Billups was going to carry your team to the finish line.

I do feel bad for Embiid. He’s a generational talent. I think Morey will build something better around him, starting with trading Simmons (if he can get something of value for him, which after last night is not a foregone conclusion). It probably seems like we are overreacting to a passed dunk, but that play really did feel like a logical culmination of Simmons’ mental blocks.

Is it fair to say that the Sixers would have probably won the series of Embiid wasn’t injured? He lacked juice during most second halves.
He did look gased at the end of games, but I cant put this series on him or his injury even if I wasn't 100% happy with his series. Ive said it before here, but big men just aren't made for crunch time in the NBA playoffs imo. Everyone had a hand in this loss, but for the most part I put it at Ben and Docs feet.

Pistons got the #1 pick!!!!! We haven’t been #1 at anything for such a long time that I feel disoriented. Can’t wait to have Cade for at least 6.5 seasons!

Back