The NBA Thread

Hayward and FVV both off the board. Looking like a quiet FA period for the Knicks, though the Russ situation is still looming out there...
FVV wasn’t going to leave Toronto. Knicks didn’t even meet with him or contact him. It’s much smarter for us to just not make any moves than it would have been to sign any of these insane contracts.

I really don’t see us going after Russ unless we get 1st rounders from Houston. All reports from reliable reporters for the past 6 months or so have said the Knicks are all in on next years draft and FA period. I’m shocked so many awful contracts got handed out this offseason. It’s 2016 all over again.

the Knicks supposedly were into Hayward but only wanted to give him 2 or MAYBE 3 years. 4/120 is crazy and then considering that they are also stretching Batum to clear space, they are effectively paying $39mil/year for Hayward

he might injure himself signing the contract .. ok... bad joke..... im not a huge hoops fan and know the guy seems to be injured a lot
Hayward had two bad freak injuries. I watched that ankle injury live on TV and it was disgusting. I felt nauseous. I feel bad for the guy. Wouldn’t be TOO worried about the injury history. He looked great for big parts of last season. But still a massive overpay for Hayward.

Ainge really blew it for not getting any assets for Hayward or Horford and letting them walk for nothing

Listen. If giannis leaves the bucks don't have anyone to blame but themselves.

Yeah the organization is a shitshow, but I think we did pretty good overall to improve the roster. Enough for Giannis? Not sure, but I would still be a fan if he decided to move on at some point. Bogdan signed with the Hawks

So bummed about the Grant situation. He is NOT worth 20M is grossly overrated.

But the versitility he provides on D is also something we have no way to replace.

More importantly, it's another in a long line of players who bailed from Denver the minute they could even though we are a well run organization and Denver has grown into a hip, thriving city in the years since Melo and even Iggy bounced.

Can't help but feel it's a terrible omen in regards to our chances of keeping Jamal.

So bummed about the Grant situation. He is NOT worth 20M is grossly overrated.

But the versitility he provides on D is also something we have no way to replace.

More importantly, it's another in a long line of players who bailed from Denver the minute they could even though we are a well run organization and Denver has grown into a hip, thriving city in the years since Melo and even Iggy bounced.

Can't help but feel it's a terrible omen in regards to our chances of keeping Jamal.
I think it's simply that Grant got paid a ton of money to start on an NBA team somewhere else. Guys like Grant care a bit more about playing time and starting vs coming off the bench at their age than ring-chasing IMO. Detroit signing all those 4s and 5s to long-term deals makes NO sense to me though...they may have had the worst offseason out of any NBA team.

We got our guy. HERE COMES AUSTIN RIVERS!!!!

Legit surprised though that he signed for 3 years, 10 mil with only this year guaranteed. Leon Rose made some pretty savvy moves this offseason even though it was mostly a boring offseason for us. He did somehow turn taking Ed Davis into 3, 2nd round picks too. 2023 is just going to be the Knicks and OKC going back and forth drafting picks in the 2nd round.

I think it's simply that Grant got paid a ton of money to start on an NBA team somewhere else. Guys like Grant care a bit more about playing time and starting vs coming off the bench at their age than ring-chasing IMO. Detroit signing all those 4s and 5s to long-term deals makes NO sense to me though...they may have had the worst offseason out of any NBA team.

He was going to be a starter playing 32+ minutes per night alongside MPJ. And even though it was a trash contract, we offered to match because we had no choice.

So basically it boils down to either a) he didnt like Denver or b) he wanted more shots

He was going to be a starter playing 32+ minutes per night alongside MPJ. And even though it was a trash contract, we offered to match because we had no choice.

So basically it boils down to either a) he didnt like Denver or b) he wanted more shots
Did he not start last season because of Millsap?

Did he not start last season because of Millsap?

Exactly. And even then he was getting more minutes than him by the end of the season and was playing 30+ in the playoffs. It was very clearly a transition year and its on record that they promised him he would be the starting 3 (or 4 depending on how you view MPJ) this season.

Pretty sure the plan was to let Sap, Plumlee and Craig walk and sign Green to be the backup 4/5 while also letting Bol soak up some minutes at the 3/4 if he earned thrm. Barton would have moved back to his natural position of SG and been 6th man of the bench.

Instead we were forced to resign Sap and now have no real 3 on the roster. But its also clear by the moves we made post-Grant that we view Bol as more of a 3 than 5. And he will now be under trial by fire while we weigh options for trading Monte Morris who enters RFA next summer.

Pretty sure the plan was to let Sap, Plumlee and Craig walk and sign Green to be the backup 4/5 while also letting Bol soak up some minutes at the 3/4 if he earned thrm. Barton would have moved back to his natural position of SG and been 6th man of the bench.
How is Torrey Craig? I don't know anything about him .

Exactly. And even then he was getting more minutes than him by the end of the season and was playing 30+ in the playoffs. It was very clearly a transition year and its on record that they promised him he would be the starting 3 (or 4 depending on how you view MPJ) this season.

Instead we were forced to resign Sap and now have no real 3 on the roster. But its also clear by the moves we made post-Grant that we view Bol as more of a 3 than 5. And he will now be under trial by fire while we weigh options for trading Monte Morris who enters RFA next summer.
We will give you one lightly used Reggie Bullock for Monte!

It does just look like Grant wanted more touches I guess! I wouldn’t want to be going to Detroit considering they had the most perplexing offseason out of any team...they signed more big men then we did last season and we are still getting clowned for it. At least we signed guys to flexible short term deals with team control...

How is Torrey Craig? I don't know anything about him .

We brought him over from Australia 3 years ago and he started out on a two way. He then earned a spot in the rotation and has played important playoff minutes for us the past two seasons. He was Malone's safety blanket-- which is likely part of why we let him go (to ensure Bol and MPJ get proper minutes).

He is best utilized as a 9th or 10th man, utility player. Hustle and grit are at the heart of his game. He is a solid one on one defender of certain types of guards-- those who aren't quick twitch OR play with aggression but aren't particularly high IQ. For example, he has done a good job against Russel Westbrook over the years and was used on CJ in our playoff series against the Blazers. He lacks length but is strong as hell which means is can guard some SF but the results tend to dwindle.

Because he has played key minutes in the playoffs and because he has done a good job guarding certain stars, the national media tends to overrate him. And here's why-- A) he is not a good help defender and B) he is a liability on O. He constantly had miscommunications with Jokic that resulted in turnovers, even in year 3, and Jokic didn't always hide his frustration. More importantly, he has no jump shot and is extremely streaky from behind the arch. So teams choose not to guard him and instead use his man to roam the passing lanes or to double.

Because of this, our offense often tanked with him in the game and most Nuggets fans would argue that his - impact on O out weighs his + contributions on D. However, not all of this is his fault. Malone's biggest flaw is the way his rotations often refuse to account for spacing because he prioritizes D. For example, our bench unit was one of the best of the league in 18 / 19' but got destroyed in 19' / 20' because Malone regularly played Plumlee / Grant (slow release) / Craig together. It was so bad that Malik Beasley- he who put up 20ppg once traded to the Wolves- struggled due to being the only pure shooter on the floor and was eventually benched. Similar things happened if Sap (who also has a slow release), Grant and Craig were on the floor together.

Point being, I think Craig has a role on a winning team but it is dependent on how Bud uses him. There NEED to be shooters around him, especially in the playoffs. As somebody who has watched Bledsoe for 3 years-- I think you probably understand what I'm saying.

Last edited:
We brought him over from Australia 3 years ago and he started out on a two way. He then earned a spot in the rotation and has played important playoff minutes for us the past two seasons. He was Malone's safety blanket-- which is likely part of why we let him go (to ensure Bol and MPJ get proper minutes).

He is best utilized as a 9th or 10th man, utility player. Hustle and grit are at the heart of his game. He is a solid one on one defender of certain types of guards-- those who aren't quick twitch OR play with aggression but aren't particularly high IQ. For example, he has done a good job against Russel Westbrook over the years and was used on CJ in our playoff series against the Blazers. He lacks length but is strong as hell which means is can guard some SF but the results tend to dwindle.

Because he has played key minutes in the playoffs and because he has done a good job guarding certain stars, the national media tends to overrate him. And here's why-- A) he is not a good help defender and B) he is a liability on O. He constantly had miscommunications with Jokic that resulted in turnovers, even in year 3, and Jokic didn't always hide his frustration. More importantly, he has no jump shot and is extremely streaky from behind the arch. So teams choose not to guard him and instead use his man to roam the passing lanes or to double.

Because of this, our offense often tanked with him in the game and most Nuggets fans would argue that his - impact on O out weighs his + contributions on D. However, not all of this is his fault. Malone's biggest flaw is the way his rotations often refuse to account for spacing because he prioritizes D. For example, our bench unit was one of the best of the league in 18 / 19' but got destroyed in 19' / 20' because Malone regularly played Plumlee / Grant (slow release) / Craig together. It was so bad that Malik Beasley- he who put up 20ppg once traded to the Wolves- struggled due to being the only pure shooter on the floor and was eventually benched. Similar things happened if Sap (who also has a slow release), Grant and Craig were on the floor together.

Point being, I think Craig has a role on a winning team but it is dependent on how Bud uses him. There NEED to be shooters around him, especially in the playoffs. As somebody who has watched Bledsoe for 3 years-- I think you probably understand what I'm saying.
We can definitely use that grittiness on D. Especially with losing Wes Matthews. Bucks play way too soft sometimes, and only guard the paint well. I think we improved a lot in that aspect with everyone we picked up. And yeah, I'm happy to not have to watch Bledsoe try to throw up bricks all day in the playoffs anymore

Back