The NBA Thread

After installing their league-plant-advisor's son without conducting any real interviews after Hinkie's resignation they were given an opportunity at a clean slate because, once again, THE GM WAS CAUGHT TRASHING THEIR STAR PLAYERS AND REVEALING SENSITIVE MEDICAL INFORMATION ON TWITTER. Left with the most desirable front office position in years (Embiid, Simmons, max cap space, top 10 pick, their own 1st rounders, too many 2nd rd picks to list, etc), they kept everyone their league-plant-advisor's son hired and installed a patsy GM two years out of a playing career with one year of front office experience in the G League. No one should take them seriously until they hire a serious person to be in charge.
Yep. It's all insane. The Colangelo thing (especially "find a new slant") was one of the more bizarre things I have ever seen happen in professional sports. Following that all when the story broke was amazing. I wonder how desirable that FO job is now though? At this point the best bet might be to try to trade one of Ben or Jo and go from there. I don't know how you get off of Horford's contract. Do they go after Lue now? Or Kidd or someone? Maybe just hire Elton Brand to coach too?

Yep. It's all insane. The Colangelo thing (especially "find a new slant") was one of the more bizarre things I have ever seen happen in professional sports. Following that all when the story broke was amazing. I wonder how desirable that FO job is now though? At this point the best bet might be to try to trade one of Ben or Jo and go from there. I don't know how you get off of Horford's contract. Do they go after Lue now? Or Kidd or someone? Maybe just hire Elton Brand to coach too?

Trading Ben or Jo is the last possible option, there's no way to get equal value back and there's no "better fit" player available that would actually make the team better. Using an asset to offload Horf or Tobias just for the sake of offloading them would also be disastrous. That cap space doesn't open up by trading them. To include the 21st pick from OKC and/or some of their high 2nds, I would need to see them get either a low-end playoff starter or a disappointing player still on a rookie contract they liked at one point. Other than that you need to hope you hit on picks. Well run teams restock the cupboard with cost controlled 2nd rd picks and UDFAs every year, but this ownership has routinely just sold 2nd rd picks for cash.

As for the coach, I prefer Lue. He has a history of experimenting during the season and challenging star players. If they hired Kidd I would probably just stop watching and I think MDA would remind us all of his time with the Knicks. I was never a Fire Brett Brown guy, but was OK with letting him go as the coach is one of the only places where they can get some marginal improvements by trying something different. I just don't trust the front office to make something better than a lateral or worse move.

Trading Ben or Jo is the last possible option, there's no way to get equal value back and there's no "better fit" player available that would actually make the team better. Using an asset to offload Horf or Tobias just for the sake of offloading them would also be disastrous. That cap space doesn't open up by trading them. To include the 21st pick from OKC and/or some of their high 2nds, I would need to see them get either a low-end playoff starter or a disappointing player still on a rookie contract they liked at one point. Other than that you need to hope you hit on picks. Well run teams restock the cupboard with cost controlled 2nd rd picks and UDFAs every year, but this ownership has routinely just sold 2nd rd picks for cash.

As for the coach, I prefer Lue. He has a history of experimenting during the season and challenging star players. If they hired Kidd I would probably just stop watching and I think MDA would remind us all of his time with the Knicks. I was never a Fire Brett Brown guy, but was OK with letting him go as the coach is one of the only places where they can get some marginal improvements by trying something different. I just don't trust the front office to make something better than a lateral or worse move.
All fair points. MDA was actually pretty solid with the Knicks rag tag roster there for a bit until the team got gutted for Melo. But he had some pieces that fit together and the Sixers really don't right now. I also wouldn't want Kidd as a coach but wouldn't be entirely shocked if they (or another team) hired him. I wouldn't have minded Billy D although I don't know how good of a coach he is and I don't know that his record with OKC reflects his coaching abilities as much as it reflects the talent he had. I also wouldn't go with the Nets approach of just hiring a famous name with zero HC experience.

It's just such a conundrum for the Sixers on how to move forward and I don't know how a FO exec goes in there without being set up to fail. I wouldn't rule out trading Ben or Jo entirely but agree it's a last option. I just really don't see many viable moves outside of what you said--hoping you hit big on UDFA and 2nd rounders. They don't have much flexibility anywhere. I felt BB took this team as far as he likely could and I had a feeling he lost the team this season. He seemed exasperated at times when reporters kept asking him why Ben Simmons refused to shoot hah.

Solid thoughts. Denver’s role players offense was the huge X factor last night. If Monte Morris and Grant are giving you 40 points you’re golden. There was a point last night where the lakers DOUBLE TEAMED JERAMI GRANT. If you’re having to do that, you’re screwed.

the lakers comeback was also greatly helped by some awful reffing. A few of those Rondo steals were very clearly fouls. I have no idea what those late whistles were when fouls were called only after the ball didn’t go in (that foul call for Kuz was crazy late). That AD 3 pointer foul was also an insane call and should have been a no call or an offensive foul. Kudos to the Lakers though for ratcheting up the defense. Got scared for a bit there but then when I saw AD not even able to jog up the floor, I figured the Nuggets might be safe.

kuz was also seeming to do his best clueless JR Smith impression last night. Really bad turnovers and looked out of his element late with no situational awareness. The hesitation and then clanking of that three during the run killed some momentum for the Lakers. I also think they played AD too much and he played too far away from the basket. It’s insane he didn’t get a rebound until the 4th quarter.

I agree with you on McGee needing to get his minutes cut but Dwight is also just out of control. Nuggets being in the bonus in the 3rd with 9 minutes left or something really hurt them too...

great game though. The fun thing about this series is that it’s one of those series where I don’t know that any lead is safe for either team.

The officiating was as bad in that stretch as it was in 2nd quarter of game one. I don’t expect it to get any better as the series progresses. Because Lakers.

Worst duo of refs in the league. And exactly who put our entire starting lineup into foul trouble in that 2nd quarter.
I once had drinks with Zach Zarba and Tony Brothers because they used to frequent the bar my wife worked at and they'd give her comped seats to the games. They spent the entire time I sat with them making fun of the Raptors. They were reffing the game. THEY WERE RIPPING ON THE TEAM PLAYING IN THE GAME THEY WERE REFFING. Okay granted this was like ten years ago and the Raps sucked... BUT STILL. The comped seats were nice though.

Last edited:

Lue is the right pick for coach I think.

I’ll give Washington MPJ for Beal and then swap Beal, Monte Morris and Gary Harris to you for Simmons. ;)

Lue is the right pick for coach I think.

I’ll give Washington MPJ for Beal and then swap Beal, Monte Morris and Gary Harris to you for Simmons. ;)
Washington will get much better offers than MPJ for Beal. I wouldn't be shocked for the Nets to make a trade for Beal. Something centered around LeVert + Allen maybe...

Washington will get much better offers than MPJ for Beal. I wouldn't be shocked for the Nets to make a trade for Beal. Something centered around LeVert + Allen maybe...

Have you watched him outside of these playoffs? Washington very well may get better offers for Beal but it will not be Lavert + Allen.

MPJ’s ceiling dwarfs Lavert’s and he has basically the same amount of injury concerns. People I respect within the basketball world are convinced he is going to be a star and he looks flat out unguardedable when on. Numerous games where he’s scored 25+ points on 75%+ shooting. Or to put it another way— he finished the season with a higher TS% than Zion despite shooting all over the court (on all 3 levels).

Obviously the D needs massive work. The thing to keep in mind is he’s basically coming straight out of high school due to the back injury, and he hardly played in the regular season so the speed of the playoffs has been pretty daunting for him. Yet he’s improved even just within these playoffs and has length, athleticism and can bulk up. He’s also an absolutely elite rebounder and has flashed rim protection ability and quick hands.

Anyways, just depends what they want as the center of the package. Ceiling v a couple of solid young prospects both of whom are already good. I presume they won’t be looking for high picks as the main return since only a contender would be trading for Beal.

(I’m also just shooting the shit. For example, the money on that deal doesn’t add up. Well that and it doesn’t make sense for the Nuggets to trade Porter right now specially bc, barring injury, his value is only going to rise and he might be all we need to win a title or two).

Last edited:
Heat are scary. Tough matchup for whomever comes out of the West. I love Bam. He kinda reminds me of Chris Webber with the way he can pass and the jaw dropping athleticism.

Have you watched him outside of these playoffs? Washington very well may get better offers for Beal but it will not be Lavert + Allen.

MPJ’s ceiling dwarfs Lavert’s and he has basically the same amount of injury concerns. People I respect within the basketball world are convinced he is going to be a star and he looks flat out unguardedable when on. Numerous games where he’s scored 25+ points on 75%+ shooting. Or to put it another way— he finished the season with a higher TS% than Zion despite shooting all over the court (on all 3 levels).

Obviously the D needs massive work. The thing to keep in mind is he’s basically coming straight out of high school due to the back injury, and he hardly played in the regular season so the speed of the playoffs has been pretty daunting for him. Yet he’s improved even just within these playoffs and has length, athleticism and can bulk up. He’s also an absolutely elite rebounder and has flashed rim protection ability and quick hands.

Anyways, just depends what they want as the center of the package. Ceiling v a couple of solid young prospects both of whom are already good. I presume they won’t be looking for high picks as the main return since only a contender would be trading for Beal.

(I’m also just shooting the shit. For example, the money on that deal doesn’t add up. Well that and it doesn’t make sense for the Nuggets to trade Porter right now specially bc, barring injury, his value is only going to rise and he might be all we need to win a title or two).
I watched him quite a lot because I was a big fan of his coming into college. I was excited to see him play finally this season. MPJ has massive holes in his game and there’s approximately a 0% chance that Washington makes that trade even if the money worked. His shooting percentages look good but he had a very small amount of attempts (43% from 3 on under 3 attempts per game). MPJ’s TS% is 0.1 percent better than Zion’s was this season and TS% isn’t kind to big men without range especially if you’re bad at FTs.

He has been a frustrating player to watch because his defense has by and large been atrocious so teams just very easily hunt him. He also benefits greatly from having Jokic and Murray as options above him. If you put him on Washington I’d bet that his shooting will get worse as his usage goes up.

he doesn’t have very good vision or playmaking ability. He has a fairly weak handle. He doesn’t get to the line and had a historically low FT rate (15%) for someone with a pretty heft usage rate. Shooting is really the only thing he’s good at but shot selection is pretty bad. I know he’s still technically a rookie but he has a TON to work on before he gets anywhere near Beal’s level. With all this said, he still has a very high ceiling if he stays healthy and can improve his reads and play making.

I just think LeVert is currently a more complete overall player. Let’s not forget LeVert dropped 51 this season on Boston so he can score too.

it will be interesting to see the moves teams make this offseason though for sure. I bet Beal is on the move but not sure who realistically gets him. It would make sense for the Nets to go after him and continue to go all in on KD and Kyrie. LeVert Dinwiddie and Allen plus picks for Beal is a pretty tempting offer if I’m Washington.

I watched him quite a lot because I was a big fan of his coming into college. I was excited to see him play finally this season. MPJ has massive holes in his game and there’s approximately a 0% chance that Washington makes that trade even if the money worked. His shooting percentages look good but he had a very small amount of attempts (43% from 3 on under 3 attempts per game). MPJ’s TS% is 0.1 percent better than Zion’s was this season and TS% isn’t kind to big men without range especially if you’re bad at FTs.

He has been a frustrating player to watch because his defense has by and large been atrocious so teams just very easily hunt him. He also benefits greatly from having Jokic and Murray as options above him. If you put him on Washington I’d bet that his shooting will get worse as his usage goes up.

he doesn’t have very good vision or playmaking ability. He has a fairly weak handle. He doesn’t get to the line and had a historically low FT rate (15%) for someone with a pretty heft usage rate. Shooting is really the only thing he’s good at but shot selection is pretty bad. I know he’s still technically a rookie but he has a TON to work on before he gets anywhere near Beal’s level. With all this said, he still has a very high ceiling if he stays healthy and can improve his reads and play making.

I just think LeVert is currently a more complete overall player. Let’s not forget LeVert dropped 51 this season on Boston so he can score too.

it will be interesting to see the moves teams make this offseason though for sure. I bet Beal is on the move but not sure who realistically gets him. It would make sense for the Nets to go after him and continue to go all in on KD and Kyrie. LeVert Dinwiddie and Allen plus picks for Beal is a pretty tempting offer if I’m Washington.

I don’t disagree about the holes. I just think most of them can be filled. The most important one is his handle other than the D. And I’m confident that is the easiest to fix and the D is the second easiest. Evidence of that being Jamal Murray who was hunted exactly like this last season. Or Barton who used to be bad on D but is now a positive. Or Jokic who everyone was convinced was a dumpster fire on D. The reality is that the vast majority of young players suck at D. And our coaching staff is really good at helping a player figure out their strengths and how to utilize him. And Porter’s main problem on D is being a half second late in his decision making more than anything else.

Don’t know about the FT side but there have been glimpses that indicate he will be a good foul drawer eventually. I’d add that when we drafted him I presumed he was a 3, but his touch is so absurd that he has proven really good at getting easy buckets around the rim. And it’s his touch, more that his shot that I find tantalizing. Because you can’t teach touch. But you can teach players new moves and ways to utilize that touch. Especially when somebody is so instinctual as a cutter and 6’10”.

My big concerns with Porter mostly boil down to BBIQ (but not his “feel” for the game if that makes sense), ego and lack of playmaking. But even with the later of those three, he has shown some nifty passes this year that cause me to remind myself that he’s mostly only played HS ball— where he was coached by his dad and probably had absolutely no limits on his shot selection. All this by the way, is why Malone has had such a short leash with him. Because more than winning this year, the goal was to improve his defensive IQ and set good habits.

As to Lavert, I’ve seen games where he looks like an absolute killer including one where he torched the Nuggets. But I’ve also seen more than a couple where he looks like a high usage, low efficiency chucker. Which is backed up by his FG% and TS%. Though to be fair to him, his EFG% has been pretty good. There is also the fact that he is 25 despite only having been in the league for only 3 seasons. He’s Jokic’s age, one year younger than Beal.

I definitely think the smart move for the Nets is to sell high on Lavert both because of injury concerns and that I’m not sure he can coexist with KD and especially Irving. But if the return on Beal is Lavert + Allen I would be very upset if I were a Wiz fan.

The potential trade I’m fascinated by is Miles Turner for the #2 pick in a draft that lacks top end talent. I don’t want the Warriors to be good again but it’s a deal that makes sense in theory for both sides. I’m also curious to see if the Suns go after Van Fleet who would be a very interesting fit for them and to see what the Bucks do.

But yeah, Sixers seem most likely to pull of a blockbuster

Last edited:
Well the officiating in that game was fun.

Don’t get me wrong. Our rebounding was atrocious and that was a bad game from Jokic. But much like game 1 (which I refrained from complaining about), Jokic and Sap (our only good defender on AD) spent the whole game in foul trouble with 2 phantom calls on each player. And Murray was clearly fouled by Lebron on back to back plays while nobody was even allowed to sneeze on AD.

(I only notice this shit happening when a team is a threat to a Lakers team that’s expected to win a title).

Barkley, Shea Sererno, Kevin O Conner and Dave Dafour also all tweeted or spoke out about how uneven the officiating was (in as polite a manner as they possibly can).

Sorry. Tangent over.

Last edited:
Well the officiating in that game was fun.

Don’t get me wrong. Our rebounding was atrocious and that was a bad game from Jokic. But much like game 1 (which I refrained from complaining about), Jokic and Sap (our only good defender on AD) spent the whole game in foul trouble with 2 phantom calls on each player. And Murray was clearly fouled by Lebron on back to back plays while nobody was even allowed to sneeze on AD.

(I only notice this shit happening when a team is a threat to a Lakers team that’s expected to win a title).

Barkley, Shea Sererno, Kevin O Conner and Dave Dafour also all tweeted or spoke out about how uneven the officiating was (in as polite a manner as they possibly can).

Sorry. Tangent over.

It’s frustrating to watch games get taken over by refs, no matter who you’re a fan of (unless you’re a laker fan). It’s absolutely mental that the Lakers complained to the league about the lack of foul calls on LeBron. It clearly affected how the game was reffed and there were so many non-calls for Denver on offense. I hate the idea of “superstar calls” too. If you get fouled, you get fouled. Shouldn’t matter what name is on the back of your jersey.

EjAmv5wWkAU9_0e

Back