Grizzly BearVeckatimest
Kendrick LamarGood Kid, m.a.a.d. City
PavementCrooked Rain, Crooked Rain
The CureDisintegration
Kamasi WashingtonHarmony of Difference
Let's Eat GrandmaI'm All Ears

fight me, i followed my heart

Let the slow trickle begin... here are albums 50-46 from my list:

50. The Cure - Wish (1992). Its main fault is the fact that it came out immediately after Disintegration.

A6A7EA6D-AA08-430B-8E51-5C78D14F13D9.jpeg

49. Fleetwood Mac - Fleetwood Mac (1975). Every bit as good as Rumours!

5AB986F2-3574-4EBC-A93A-8ADD1D47214D.jpeg

48. Bat For Lashes - Two Suns (2009). I hesitated to include this one in my list, but then “Moon and Moon” started playing.

41BAE4A8-752D-491D-A50E-4F40A31015AC.jpeg

47. Miles Davis - In A Silent Way (1969). I’ve only been listening to jazz for five years, so it’s still too soon to include too many jazz albums in my top 50 favorites. This record though...

676544F0-4FB4-4BE1-BFCB-3C51A817FB54.jpeg

46. Type O Negative - Bloody Kisses (1993). Despite the awful interludes and long and boring title track, I’m surprised by how much I care about this album. Not a good one to bring up during a job interview!

A1D46D47-CBA9-4427-82D4-83D9B5F79ABA.jpeg

30-26
30. If you don’t own this album, you should. It’s perfect and has been an obsession of mine for the last year. If not for it being relatively new to my ears, it would rank much higher.
35A6CF6B-1ACA-4ABE-B3FC-A4BCCC37E691.jpeg

29. It’s common for me to become obsessed with an album and then forget about it for a long time. That’s not true with this one though, I’ve been consistently listening to it since it’s release week when I purchased it from my local based off nothing but the fact that I saw another guy put it into his basket and it looked interesting.
79DB6F66-B6E5-4E1E-B97F-2F253B857A0F.jpeg

28. This is the first album I bought with my own money. That probably has a lot to do with its ranking simply because I am very familiar with it and it feels like it’s just part of me at this point. But I also think it’s just a really great album from a really great band that lots of punk purists like to trash. To hell with them.
CD202676-FB25-48AD-97C8-781846B19693.jpeg

27. My wife is the best thing to ever happen in my life. It’s been 17 years of marriage that hasn’t always been easy but we have gotten through all of our individual and combined struggles knowing that we had each other. We shared our first kiss to “that song”.... yeah, it’s cheesy, but it means something to me.
CDB868C5-9E0F-4267-963A-48A33999C94D.jpeg

26. I’m not sure exactly what punk will sound like in 500 years, but whatever it sounds like I can assure you that it will be influenced in some way by this album. It embodies everything I love about the genre.
D8F8B43B-8ECA-4234-88BC-AE12BA290011.jpeg

Still ordering my list but I have committed to the albums that are making it. My first 5 out (I did 1 album per artist, and the first 5 out still follow that rule)

-Mike Doughty - Skittish
-Chainsaw Kittens - Chainsaw Kittens
-The Decemberists- The King is Dead
-Bjork - Homogenic
-Grateful Dead - American Beauty

not surprising I weigh heavily into the late 80s- early 00s, my formative years. Top ten was easy enough to sort out but the next 40 are posing to be a bear. And with my self imposed 1 album per artist rule I have waffled a couple times on which album makes the list... In Rainbows or OK Computer? Revolver or the White Album? Ritual or Nothings Shocking? Violator or Songs of Faith and Devotion? Some artists were easy. I literally love the entire discographies of Tom Waits or The Cure but there is a singular album that grinds to my core. The process has made me remember why I love certain albums that maybe I hadn’t listened to in years. Thanks @Woob_woob for putting this together, it might be a few more iterations but my list will be on its way soon!

There are maybe five or six of my top 50 I don't own on vinyl, mostly because they have either never been released or are otherwise white whales that would cost me an arm and a leg to acquire.

There are a couple I just don't own, without excuse.

There’s so many of my list that I don’t have on vinyl that it’s sort of an eye opening experience and making me realize that I really do have a problem with fomo. Why do I keep buying whatever stupid thing pops up in the preorder thread when I have so many holes in my top 50? I think I’ll be having a big sale soon.

Oh fuck I didn't know about this thread. I love the idea! Have a couple of questions (maybe they were answered before but I'm 43 pages behind...).
First, does the album have to be on vinyl? I mean, can I choose an album that is only on cd or in digital format?
Second, can I choose more than one album per artist?

Yes its your all time top 50, it’s agnostic to format
Yep, it’s your list so thats entirely your call.

I just counted - 12 of my top 50 I don't own on vinyl.
Two are white whales, two have never been pressed and a few are hard to find.
The last few I just haven't gotten around to getting.

I just made a Discogs offer on the only album from my top 50 that I still don't have on vinyl. Normally I hate paying up for white whales but I've lived long enough without this one. Fingers crossed!

Offer accepted! Oops, I mean, yay.. now what do I tell the missus?

And now there’s another album I don’t own that I want to include in my top 50 (I haven’t turned in my list yet)... but it’s even more of a white whale. Does anyone want to sell me their copy of Chairlift - Something?

Back