The N&G Top 500 Albums of All Time!!!

I gathered ..it was my further attempts to pinch all of Australia’s musical heritage to the U.K. ...

...which as they are all descended from British convicts is basically true ....

Running and hiding

Hahaha! I think they could be much more genuinely be described as British to be fair, I’m just not keen beyond that one big soundtrack.

I gathered ..it was my further attempts to pinch all of Australia’s musical heritage to the U.K. ...

...which as they are all descended from British convicts is basically true ....

Running and hiding
So is the only way England can have a good cricket team is to claim the Aussies in the same way?

I currently have four Björk albums in my list, but I'm thinking one of them will have to be bumped out, trying to figure out which is gonna be toughhhh. 😓
Assuming you have got Homogenic and Vespertine among them, I would bump Homogenic. Although it has some of her finest tracks on it (Yoga, Alarm Call, All Is Full Of Love), Post and Vespertine are better album-wise for me. I like Homogenic, but it wouldn´t make my top 100. Which is the fourth album currently on your list?

Assuming you have got Homogenic and Vespertine among them, I would bump Homogenic. Although it has some of her finest tracks on it (Yoga, Alarm Call, All Is Full Of Love), Post and Vespertine are better album-wise for me. I like Homogenic, but it wouldn´t make my top 100. Which is the fourth album currently on your list?
Her first four albums are what's in contention for my list at the moment. I'm hitting roadblocks left and right when it comes to including multiple albums by artists, I'm worried my list will end up being way too lopsided towards favoring certain artists, but then again I suppose that would be an honest list on my part so idk

It's all a matter of preference, right? I only have one Bjork album on my list. It's Debut, and that's in my top 10.

Her first four albums are what's in contention for my list at the moment. I'm hitting roadblocks left and right when it comes to including multiple albums by artists, I'm worried my list will end up being way too lopsided towards favoring certain artists, but then again I suppose that would be an honest list on my part so idk

You can have several artists with multiples on your list and still have 40ish artists represented in total. If Bjork is one of your favorites, then there's no shame in including her first 4 records. If you'd rather listen to any of those 4 albums more than any album currently sitting outside of your top 50, then IMO they should remain where they are.

For some reason, I´ve never listened to Björks Debut :oops: But actually I´m kind of relieved that I know the discographies by many big artists only partially. That makes it certainly easier to stick to my self-imposed artist limit. And it leaves me with the good feeling that there will be plenty of albums to discover when the big list arrives :)

For some reason, I´ve never listened to Björks Debut :oops: But actually I´m kind of relieved that I know the discographies by many big artists only partially. That makes it certainly easier to stick to my self-imposed artist limit. And it leaves me with the good feeling that there will be plenty of albums to discover when the big list arrives :)
This is my attitude too: rather than feel embarrassed for not listening to an "important" album, I'd rather look at it as there's just more music for me to listen to! (That said, you should probs listen to Debut 👀)

One thing that's bringing me some trouble is knowing that I don't have a lot of the experience others on here do. Most users have about double the history with music that I do and so I feel like comparing their lists to mine will sort of expose that I don't really have many landmark albums or legacy artists included in mine, not even necessarily as a statement but just because there's soooooo muuuuuch music out there that its impossible to hear it all. I'm sure albums that others feel belong on everyone's list won't even touch mine just because I've never bothered to listen to them 😕

This is my attitude too: rather than feel embarrassed for not listening to an "important" album, I'd rather look at it as there's just more music for me to listen to! (That said, you should probs listen to Debut 👀)

One thing that's bringing me some trouble is knowing that I don't have a lot of the experience others on here do. Most users have about double the history with music that I do and so I feel like comparing their lists to mine will sort of expose that I don't really have many landmark albums or legacy artists included in mine, not even necessarily as a statement but just because there's soooooo muuuuuch music out there that its impossible to hear it all. I'm sure albums that others feel belong on everyone's list won't even touch mine just because I've never bothered to listen to them 😕
Eventually, every list will be biased. Legacy-bias, recency-bias, geographical-bias, formative-bias, artist-limit-bias, you name it. But taking snapshots of what everyone currently considers their favorites for whatever reasons and putting them together into a big list is kind of fun.

I rate that as her best, by a distance, the one you picked is the one I’d bump, Post is my 4th fav...

We are who we are and we can only give a snapshot of time and place. My list is hugely different from what it would have been when I was 21 and it’ll likely be much different again when I’m 53. That makes none more or less relevant or correct that the others. Your list reflects your relationship with music as you stand. Why is that any less important that my relationship with music as it stands right now just becuse im 16 years older than you? Don’t fret, your right answer is the right answer.

Last edited:

Hmm... you’re forgetting about the fact that up until the turn of the century access to music was scarce. Before mp3 downloads and streaming, if you were not willing to pay for CDs or records, you were mostly stuck with radio or (!) MTV. Maybe a friend could hook you up with a cassette tape or burned CD, but generally speaking SOMEONE had to buy an album before ANYONE could listen to it.

My point is that being young (assuming that’s what you consider yourself) is arguably an advantage, because you’ve had more opportunity to check out more music than another person who was exactly your age 25 years ago. Streaming allows you to dab into music genres that in the past you may have considered to be off limits.

We are who we are and we can only give a snapshot of time and place. My list is hugely different from what it would have been when I was 21 and it’ll likely be much different again when I’m 53. That makes none more or less relevant or correct that the others. Your list reflects your relationship with music as you stand. Why is that any less important that my relationship with music as it stands right now just becuse im 16 years older than you? Don’t fret, your right answer is the right answer.

That’s kind of what I’ve been telling myself as I compile my top 50. I’d bet that 6 months from now I would churn out a different list.

Hmm... you’re forgetting about the fact that up until the turn of the century access to music was scarce. Before mp3 downloads and streaming, if you were not willing to pay for CDs or records, you were mostly stuck with radio or (!) MTV. Maybe a friend could hook you up with a cassette tape or burned CD, but generally speaking SOMEONE had to buy an album before ANYONE could listen to it.

My point is that being young (assuming that’s what you consider yourself) is arguably an advantage, because you’ve had more opportunity to check out more music than another person who was exactly your age 25 years ago. Streaming allows you to dab into music genres that in the past you may have considered to be off limits.

That’s kind of what I’ve been telling myself as I compile my top 50. I’d bet that 6 months from now I would churn out a different list.

Yeah I think we all would, and that kinda ok, taste is evolutionary and always has a degeee of flux.

Back