solo piano, single takes
lovely and profane

46. Fugazi - Repeater
iu

my first Fugazi
I mean, what is there to say
it just kinda slaps
Creative descriptions...I like it.

I think the way I'm going to choose to do this is one album per artist. And try to focus on favorites versus best of. I found my list very predictable and unfocused when I got past 10-15 doing it as a best of.
Any of us idiots who spend too much time reading about music can put together a “greatest/best” list. “Favorites” is the way to go!

I definitely have some artists with multiple albums on my list.
I have 6 artists with multiples, including one with 3 and another with 4.

To be a bit clearer, I know this forum well enough that I ALWAYS knew OK Computer would be a lock for the final list, it has nothing to do with everyone else's posts.
I honestly think this is just an extension of balancing preference, personal significance and broader importance in our lists...and I think that's going to make this overall list so much better than one where everyone is trying just to find the most important

the Radiohead album you're including...do you prefer it and/or does it hold more personal significance to you personally than OKC? or did you go Pablo Honey/Bends bc it started the "importance" of Radiohead?

like...I have no Beatles albums...I know Sgt Pepper is "more important" musically than anything Mark Kozelek has ever done, but it doesn't resonate with me personally. I trust the board is gonna make up my exclusion of the "importance" of the Beatles and can omit.

at the same time I've rated artists' more broadly significant albums over my own favorite(s)..."Freewheelin'" is definitely not my favorite Dylan album; there are 3 or 4 Arctic Monkey albums I'd rather listen to than "Whatever People...", yet those make my list based both on personal and meta music canon significance.

I honestly think this is just an extension of balancing preference, personal significance and broader importance in our lists...and I think that's going to make this overall list so much better than one where everyone is trying just to find the most important

the Radiohead album you're including...do you prefer it and/or does it hold more personal significance to you personally than OKC? or did you go Pablo Honey/Bends bc it started the "importance" of Radiohead?

like...I have no Beatles albums...I know Sgt Pepper is "more important" musically than anything Mark Kozelek has ever done, but it doesn't resonate with me personally. I trust the board is gonna make up my exclusion of the "importance" of the Beatles and can omit.

at the same time I've rated artists' more broadly significant albums over my own favorite(s)..."Freewheelin'" is definitely not my favorite Dylan album; there are 3 or 4 Arctic Monkey albums I'd rather listen to than "Whatever People...", yet those make my list based both on personal and meta music canon significance.

Kid A is actually my top (Radiohead) album, because it completely changed my musical life. The main reason I chose to limit to one per artist was to get more of the different artists on the list, even if it means my second-favorite of a few are left off. I'm also going to stick just with my favorites/ones important to me, even though it means leaving off some whole genres that I really, really like, but that never resonated at quite the same level as others.

I do it with friends and family, too...

The OCD kind

I dont view it as a competition between albums as much as organizing my own thoughts and feelings towards a bunch of albums. Its an act of love imo.
I hope it's clear I was joking. While I'm not a natural ranker or list-maker, I enjoy these exercises.
metagaming has reached N&G
Psh, I always game my year end lists 😉

I hope all you dramatically dragging-out 5-at-a-time countdowners just post your full lists eventually. 😘😘😘

I’ll post my final list after I submit it and a few days before submission deadline, I forgot a couple major albums that I HAVE to find room for. I hate that it happened like that, but I don’t want to let my internal turmoils damper the intentions of the thread.

Last edited:
I’ll post my final list after I submit it and a few days before submission deadline, I forgot a couple major albums that I HAVE to find room for. I hate that it happened like that, but I don’t want to let my internal turmoils to damper the intentions of the thread.
Yeah, I've had my list on the brink of finished for weeks, but I've kept from really sorting and finalizing because my brain needs time for the "omg, how could I miss that?!" phase.

Yeah, I've had my list on the brink of finished for weeks, but I've kept from really sorting and finalizing because my brain needs time for the "omg, how could I miss that?!" phase.

Same here... my top 50 is basically locked but I’m taking the time to listen to all those albums and see what my current order of preference is. I plan to share my list around December 1 (I imagine there will be plenty of down time after voting is closed but before results are announced... you know, kind of what we expect to happen with the election tomorrow!).

Same here... my top 50 is basically locked but I’m taking the time to listen to all those albums and see what my current order of preference is. I plan to share my list around December 1 (I imagine there will be plenty of down time after voting is closed but before results are announced... you know, kind of what we expect to happen with the election tomorrow!).

I demand a recount!

Back