The N&G Top 500 Albums of All Time!!!

Cool result! Thanks for all your work @Woob_woob !

(PS — aggregate lists always have funny results: I think I put a permanent grip mark on my chair arm seeing AFI, Jason Isbell and Pearl Jam ahead of Nirvana's Nevermind)

I think that's also going to be an effect of it being "favorite" albums, and not "best" albums, I think. Nirvana wasn't even on my list of top 50 favorites (nor were any of those you mentioned, but I am not really a man of taste nor refinement), but if it were best or most important then things might be different.

In the end, it was kind of fun to do it, but I also think I'm just done making lists or ranking/rating things (for reasons that don't have to with this great thread). I decided this year to stop even giving the books I read star ratings on Goodreads.

Pitchfork (TM) is doing a “People’s List” for the top 25 albums of the past 25 years. I couldn’t resist submitting a list right away (which was very easy after all the work associated with this thread). The only thing I changed from my original spreadsheet was #25 (I had Pavement, Sleater-Kinney, and Sunny Day Real Estate ahead of Gaga, and decided that didn’t feel right):

1C1C6608-FAAE-4752-BD8D-0F1445FE0E3C.jpeg

Decided to revisit the list I made for this on a lark and I want a do-over 😂

In all seriousness, I stand by loving all the albums on my list, but I'm remembering now I mostly just went by what I owned on vinyl to make mine which means I snubbed quite a few that should have been included. More importantly I'm sure there's been albums I've heard for the first time in the last two years that I would swap some of my choices out for nowadays. I know there's no way in hell anyone feels like organizing another massive thing like this so soon (I certainly wouldn't want to), but I do think it'd be interesting to do it again at some point down the road to see how everyone's lists and opinions have changed.

Back