The N&G Science Discussion Thread

This explains (sort-of) why this little volcanic island is the areas most active. The rate of subduction of the Pacific plate is around 47mm/yr in the area where the volcano formed. More rapid subduction = more material plus gas = more eruptions.

InkedNZ_faults_LI.jpg

Apparently it's a very popular tourist destination for volcano viewing.

Not surprising, but glad somebody did this survey / study

And, at academic conferences, most of the "questions" are really just long commentary on something tangential to the speaker's topic but actually closer to the questioner's pet topic, with a "wouldn't you say?" tacked on to make it a question.

And, at academic conferences, most of the "questions" are really just long commentary on something tangential to the speaker's topic but actually closer to the questioner's pet topic, with a "wouldn't you say?" tacked on to make it a question.

the generalization is pretty accurate in my experience

it's part of the game, part of the training, for most

but it's also roughly true in most offices or anywhere people are trying to pose via their intelligence and ego

the generalization is pretty accurate in my experience

it's part of the game, part of the training, for most

but it's also roughly true in most offices or anywhere people are trying to pose via their intelligence and ego

Definitely. I have a bachelor's in biology, but my MA is in Spanish literature, so I got to see this happen in both science and the humanities. At Spanish lit conferences, we even coined a funny term for this kind of "questions-" preguntertulia, which combines the word for question (pregunta) with one that means a long, meandering intellectual conversation (tertulia).

Last edited:
If anyone is looking for information about the Corona virus, this has probably the most factual and readable explanations out there.

Although it doesn't talk about coronavirus (it's a few years old), I recommend this book for anyone curious about the work of the CDC and other government health and science agencies in crises like this. The author was the head CDC's center for zoonotic diseases, and traveled the world researching emergent or resurgent diseases like Ebola, SARS, MERS, and even the anthrax scare in 2001. It shows how serious they take it even with diseases that only kill a handful of people at a time (like bubonic plague in the U.S. southwest), and how much on-the-ground work goes in to tracing and containing these things.

Useful visual and narrative representation of what the rest of the century might look like in the U.S. Climate refugees are likely.

Useful visual and narrative representation of what the rest of the century might look like in the U.S. Climate refugees are likely.

my sister has been lobbying hard for me to pick up my family and move, specifically Maine. There is a lot of reasons why it’s just no possible, buyer recent efforts have used climate migration as a reason. She just sent me the big times article for me to read.

This is appropriate for me:

my sister has been lobbying hard for me to pick up my family and move, specifically Maine. There is a lot of reasons why it’s just no possible, buyer recent efforts have used climate migration as a reason. She just sent me the big times article for me to read.

Well I'm sure the recent situations in CA are not helping their anxiety, but imo it's all a little premature. There are so many personal factors that may or may not make a change like that worth it. Climate future wise someplace like Grand Rapids, MI might make a lot of sense but for every other reason it probably doesn't (no offense Grand Rapids, MI).

I think there are probably people, primarily in the S. and S.E. that will not want to settle there and move north as it becomes hotter and more humid and sea level continues to rise and storms become more intense and flood insurance is further out of reach. Out West some people will need to move because of fires, fire threat, and not being able to insure their homes. I think others will not be able to make the choice to leave.

I wonder what it might mean for housing prices?

my sister has been lobbying hard for me to pick up my family and move, specifically Maine. There is a lot of reasons why it’s just not possible, buyer recent efforts have used climate migration as a reason. She just sent me the big times article for me to read.
I've thought a lot about moving to the west coast, specifically the PNW because I like the climate, scenery, etc. But I think Vermont is kind of in a sweet spot with how the climate will change. At a good elevation, no major fires, no droughts, no hurricanes, no tornadoes, just the occasional snow storm which is manageable.

I've thought a lot about moving to the west coast, specifically the PNW because I like the climate, scenery, etc. But I think Vermont is kind of in a sweet spot with how the climate will change. At a good elevation, no major fires, no droughts, no hurricanes, no tornadoes, just the occasional snow storm which is manageable.

Y - I'm in the Twin Cities and want to bail for various reasons but it is kind-of a sweet spot too. Of course by the time these projection scenarios would play out I'll likely be well on my way to being consumed by microbes. I've been thinking about giving Burlington a look.

Back