The N&G Science Discussion Thread

jaycee

A home for N&G scientists, fans of science, and the curious mind.

A place to discuss goings-on in science, articles of interest, ask questions, and crowdsource ideas.

Not a place to argue faith vs. science, conspiracy theories, political propaganda, or whether or not the earth is 4.65 billion years old (because it is)

I accidentally made a duplicate thread.

Why the Time after Time?

It's a lovely song.

Time is an important factor, variable, component of what many of us do:
Trends
Evolution
Expansion of the Universe
Ecological Relationship
Reactions
etc.

and the nature of the biz is to have to continually repeat yourself and prove what's being said.

Happy to move to just merge or remove this thread - sorry I didn't see yours before I made this one. 🌏🔥🌪🌊

Last edited:
You lured me in here with the title of my favorite song ever. Only to find that this is a discussion of the subject that caused me my lowest grades throughout my academic career. That sure was a roller coaster of emotion. ;)

It's a lovely song.

Time is an important factor, variable, component of what many of us do:
Trends
Evolution
Expansion of the Universe
Ecological Relationship
Reactions
etc.

and the nature of the biz is to have to continually repeat yourself and prove what's being said.

Happy to move to just merge or remove this thread - sorry I didn't see yours before I made this one. 🌏🔥🌪🌊
You made yours first. He deleted his. We gucci.

You lured me in here with the title of my favorite song ever. Only to find that this is a discussion of the subject that caused me my lowest grades throughout my academic career. That sure was a roller coaster of emotion. ;)

Well I'm guessing @gouis could explain that motion in your belly you feel when you go up and down that coaster.

Part of our role in society / job is to help others to understand and it's probably the part of our job that has been done most poorly... but we're getting better at it.

I dislike when people are interested but the people who have the knowledge don't put in enough effort to help folks properly explore their interest. Of course if folks are disinterested that's another thing.

Last edited:
Well I'm guessing @gouis could explain that motion in your beely you feel when you go up and down that coaster.

Part of our role in society / job is to help others to understand and it's probably the part of our job that has been done most poorly... but we're getting better at it.

I dislike when people are interested but the people who have the knowledge don't put in enough effort to help folks properly explore their interest. Of course if folks are disinterested that's another thing.
The technical term is "tickle tummy"

Well I'm guessing @gouis could explain that motion in your beely you feel when you go up and down that coaster.

I'm totally here for you all dumbing down some of your knowledge so that I can understand it.

@Teeeee brings up something I'm more focused on now in my current job - How to better communicate technical information to the people that make decisions?

So I think a lot about what people need to know, what their fears are, what good graphic design means, and how do we design studies to incorporate the socioeconomic factors that drive our behaviors... Also I'm tired of being frustrated that the world doesn't value science or the numbers or the physical laws that govern their existence.

Last edited:
I'm totally here for you all dumbing down some of your knowledge so that I can understand it.

The people who are responsible for explaining things need to stop saying "dumbing it down " because it's not. It's just using the words that people understand or helping them to understand the words that they don't. It's translation.

The people who are responsible for explaining things need to stop saying "dumbing it down " because it's not. It's just using the words that people understand or helping them to understand the words that they don't. It's translation.
It's because the vast majority of scientists take the bare minimum of liberal arts classes. And at technical or research schools that number is like 1-2.

It's because the vast majority of scientists take the bare minimum of liberal arts classes. And at technical or research schools that number is like 1-2.

Good point. I think scientists are also taught either tacitly through social expectation or directly through training that they are authorities, which can imply that the people should come to them.

Good point. I think scientists are also taught either tacitly through social expectation or directly through training that they are authorities, which can imply that the people should come to them.
Yes despite thinking they are "objective" scientists have huge egos and fall victim to the "appeal to authority" fallacy more than others.

Yes despite thinking they are "objective" scientists have huge egos and fall victim to the "appeal to authority" fallacy more than others.

All of this.

Making it easier to sow distrust by those that can and will profit from it.

Are you done with those arrows? I'm getting impatient 🌸

Back