The N&G Listening Club V2

Have been listening for the past two days. Definitely a good listen. It’s funny though. Usually when I listen to music in other languages it has a strong ethnic identity Instrumentally. i find a few flourishes, but for the most part this uses western pop traditions.

Is there more ethnic identity in the lyrics? And where does this fit in the pop culture of China?

I think the best way he expresses the ethnic identity is through the lyrcis, he is from the Yi minority ethnic group, Han is the majority, and most of the lyrics are sung/written in the Yi Dialect which is very different from Mandarin which is based of the Beijing dialect.

That's a great question about China's pop culture, there's typically two ways to define rock, Tongsu, which is more 'Propaganda' based rock, songs that fit the CCP blend of things, and the other YiShi which translates to 'Consciousness' and typically songs are more about the political attitudes, literary movements, and cultural trends, kind of like underground rock in a way. Tongsu performers would be seen on TV and YiShi performers would be relegated to underground venues. This has changed in the past 5-10 years. Before YiShi performers would not be invited to National Holiday performances but now you can see more of them being invited and willing to help highlight the culture they have tried to create, while other YiShi performers would say f*** the CCP and stay far away from those invites.

MoXiZiShi fits more with the YiShi performers, folk music is very popular in China, however Psychedlic rock has been gaining traction and his blend of the two helped gain a new following of rockers into the psychedlic genre. To judge popularity he has over 207,000 fans on weibo, so in a country of a billion people, where maybe half enjoy rock, and a quarter of that enjoy underground rock, he is doing pretty good. To compare Carsick cars, one of the biggest underground punk rockers, recently turned pop-punk rockers has 210,000 fans on weibo.

Thank you for sharing the Moxizishi album. That was a great experience...and learning about pork moon cakes in your post has something else for me to try. I do think the guys voice is great. I'm not sure how accurate it is...but this reminds me of TV on the Radio...maybe that's just me. My favorite songs on this were We Are All, Some Words About the History of the Yi Ethnic Torch Festival and the Evolution of Heaven and Earth, and Moonlight (at least that is the translation Amazon Music provided). I'm very thankful to have gotten to know this and will keep it handy to listen to more. I like playing various types of music for my kids. I liked seeing their reaction to Small Circle of Friends...what are they saying dad?...and I look forward to submitting them to this on some car ride somewhere...it's good for them.

Hey Hey Hey! While we continue to discuss Moxizishi - Moonlight is Very White, I wanted to let @Waitressboy know that you will be up next to pick a listening club selection...around 8/24.

I have my album chosen since long time ago. I just need to be sure of something: is it ok if the album is not (and won't be) on vinyl?

I have my album chosen since long time ago. I just need to be sure of something: is it ok if the album is not (and won't be) on vinyl?
It can be anything. Having something available that we can all stream helps. There is a lot of cool stuff to listen to that are on our vinyl release wish list.

I think the idea is it should be something available to buy and support the artist, but not sure.
It can be anything. Having something available that we can all stream helps. There is a lot of cool stuff to listen to that are on our vinyl release wish list.

Uhm... Now I doubt... The album I chose is on Spotify and can be easily found on CD, but it will never be released on vinyl (and the artist themselves tends to ignore the existence of it)... But I think it is a great album, and it is an important album for the current times. So unless I get a better idea, I think i'll stick with it. Maybe.

I think the idea is it should be something available to buy and support the artist, but not sure.

But even the one you chose hasn't ever been released on vinyl. Or am I wrong?

And my Jellyfish pick has been available in the past but it's a bit hard to find now.

I don't think it matters too much, @Waitressboy. We've had a handful of picks that aren't available to purchase.

Uhm... Now I doubt... The album I chose is on Spotify and can be easily found on CD, but it will never be released on vinyl (and the artist themselves tends to ignore the existence of it)... But I think it is a great album, and it is an important album for the current times. So unless I get a better idea, I think i'll stick with it. Maybe.
But even the one you chose hasn't ever been released on vinyl. Or am I wrong?

And my Jellyfish pick has been available in the past but it's a bit hard to find now.

I don't think it matters too much, @Waitressboy. We've had a handful of picks that aren't available to purchase.

Never mind me, I just noticed this isnt the N&G AOTM. Had a couple of beers, you know... 🤣

So, for this week I chose an album with songs of The Beatles, Tom Waits, Eminem, Neil Young, Velvet Underground, Depeche Mode and Slayer, among others.

"I've always found it fascinating how men say things and how women hear them. Words can wound and words can heal, and both are included on the album. I've heard a lot of people say, 'They're only words; what is everybody going on about?' But words are powerful; words are like guns. Your fingerprints cannot be erased from your words; you only leave the scene of the crime covered in ink. A person has to take responsibility for their words. We as writers cannot separate ourselves from what we create. All of these songs were created by powerful wordsmiths, whether you agree with them or not".

slg-uk5.jpg

Strange Little Girls is a conceptual album of covers made by Tori Amos and released on September 18th, 2001. Tori decided to take songs written by men about women, and try to put on the place of that women. (The album was released with six different covers; I just went with my favorite one).
This is long before the resurgence of the feminist movement and the #MeToo movement. When this was released, 9/11 had happened just a week ago.

Each song is a woman with a story. The girl in "Rattlesnakes" is a mysterious, elusive girl, still hurt by her unborn child; the twins in "Heart of gold" are ready to eat the world; the girl in "Real men" is an androgynous girl, or a boy.

It is a rarity in Amos' catalogue. She had always played covers (her most famous one is Nirvana's "Smell like teen spirit"), but this album doesn't sound like her at all. The production is there just to reinforce the concept of the album; her vocal performance is closer to acting than singing.
Some songs are similar to the original ("Time", "Real men"), but some of them are just heresy. Listen to what she did to "Heart of gold" or "Raining blood" (the singer of Slayer himself confessed he couldn't identify his song on that version).

And then there's the centerpiece: her cover of "'97 Bonnie and Clyde". Eminem sang about murdering his wife; Tori decided to sing what Eminem's wife was listening while she was in the back of the car.
It is breathtaking.

I chose this album mainly because it is so appropriate for these moments, when men we should shut the fuck up, listen to women and stop to think what our words did and still do to them. I don't think Tori is a favorite for a lot of people here, but this album doesn't really sound like her other work.
I have so many personal memories linked to this album, some good and some terrible, but what still strikes me is how demanding of attention it is, how hard it forces me to think about my privileged position.
As the girl in the first song says, it's the beginning of a new age.

A couple of videos:

This was on the first show Letterman made after 9/11. I think Letterman asked Tori to play this song for all the people in New York City.

"Strange little girl" was the only single of the album. At this point, the company record was done with Tori Amos and gave her no support for the album.

She released two b-sides, one was Alice Cooper's "Only women bleed" and this cover of Bowie's "After all".

Great write up. I didn't realize it was so close to 9/11 when this was released. Thank you for providing that context. Likewise I did not know the concept of this album...or maybe I did but had forgotten. But knowing that Tori is singing as the woman in songs written about women certainly adds to the experience of listening to this album. To me, this is a complicated album. That isn't a bad thing. I like being challenged from what I am listening to musically as well as the content/subject matter as well as feeling conviction. Bonnie & Clyde really stood out to me. The song that Tori performs is breathtaking...eerie. Growing up, I must have listened to that Eminem song many many times. Listening to this version, it made me think...what the hell was I listening to? Eminem had a gift at storytelling and making dark twisted stories seem childish and fun...so much so that murdering your wife and kidnapping your daughter became a mainstream hit! She really masters the communication of how disturbing the message of this song is...without belittling the original...just reworking it from another perspective, in amazing fashion nonetheless. Elsewhere, I enjoy the Depeche Mode cover...because I enjoy Depeche Mode...and as to the videos you shared...I wish the Bowie cover would have made it on the album. I will give this another listen and share more if something noteworthy arises...thank you for this submission, very good album for discussion.

As we continue listening and discussing Tori Amos - Strange Little Girls, I wanted to let @MadLucas know that you are on the clock for a Listening Club selection. The next selection is scheduled for Monday 9/7 which is Labor Day in the US. It's no fun to have work to do around Labor Day, so be ready with your pick for Monday 9/14. That will give our listening ears plenty of time to get ready for an awesome pick.

As we continue listening and discussing Tori Amos - Strange Little Girls, I wanted to let @MadLucas know that you are on the clock for a Listening Club selection. The next selection is scheduled for Monday 9/7 which is Labor Day in the US. It's no fun to have work to do around Labor Day, so be ready with your pick for Monday 9/14. That will give our listening ears plenty of time to get ready for an awesome pick.

Looking forward to it :)

So, for this week I chose an album with songs of The Beatles, Tom Waits, Eminem, Neil Young, Velvet Underground, Depeche Mode and Slayer, among others.

"I've always found it fascinating how men say things and how women hear them. Words can wound and words can heal, and both are included on the album. I've heard a lot of people say, 'They're only words; what is everybody going on about?' But words are powerful; words are like guns. Your fingerprints cannot be erased from your words; you only leave the scene of the crime covered in ink. A person has to take responsibility for their words. We as writers cannot separate ourselves from what we create. All of these songs were created by powerful wordsmiths, whether you agree with them or not".

View attachment 62867

Strange Little Girls is a conceptual album of covers made by Tori Amos and released on September 18th, 2001. Tori decided to take songs written by men about women, and try to put on the place of that women. (The album was released with six different covers; I just went with my favorite one).
This is long before the resurgence of the feminist movement and the #MeToo movement. When this was released, 9/11 had happened just a week ago.

Each song is a woman with a story. The girl in "Rattlesnakes" is a mysterious, elusive girl, still hurt by her unborn child; the twins in "Heart of gold" are ready to eat the world; the girl in "Real men" is an androgynous girl, or a boy.

It is a rarity in Amos' catalogue. She had always played covers (her most famous one is Nirvana's "Smell like teen spirit"), but this album doesn't sound like her at all. The production is there just to reinforce the concept of the album; her vocal performance is closer to acting than singing.
Some songs are similar to the original ("Time", "Real men"), but some of them are just heresy. Listen to what she did to "Heart of gold" or "Raining blood" (the singer of Slayer himself confessed he couldn't identify his song on that version).

And then there's the centerpiece: her cover of "'97 Bonnie and Clyde". Eminem sang about murdering his wife; Tori decided to sing what Eminem's wife was listening while she was in the back of the car.
It is breathtaking.

I chose this album mainly because it is so appropriate for these moments, when men we should shut the fuck up, listen to women and stop to think what our words did and still do to them. I don't think Tori is a favorite for a lot of people here, but this album doesn't really sound like her other work.
I have so many personal memories linked to this album, some good and some terrible, but what still strikes me is how demanding of attention it is, how hard it forces me to think about my privileged position.
As the girl in the first song says, it's the beginning of a new age.

A couple of videos:

This was on the first show Letterman made after 9/11. I think Letterman asked Tori to play this song for all the people in New York City.

"Strange little girl" was the only single of the album. At this point, the company record was done with Tori Amos and gave her no support for the album.

She released two b-sides, one was Alice Cooper's "Only women bleed" and this cover of Bowie's "After all".

This was a unique album, I don't think I've ever listened to Tori before and loved that this was my first intro to her. As someone who grew up loving Eminem, her take was a horrifying perspective. It's strange how as a kid you don't even associate the lyrics with real-life abuse and violence and just think of it as a movie as if those things don't happen. Definitely going to change my perspective of 97' Bonnie & Clyde the next time I throw that on. Thanks for the introduction to Tori!

Soooooooooo, I am a day late... my apologies.

The album I have chosen this week is a modern electronic group with a retro vibe. They are a duo, but their sound is manipulated/mixed live by a third member (who happens to be Egan Frantz, son of Chris Frantz & Tina Weymouth). I spent a lot of time with this album last summer and I am thrilled to be able to share it with people, as I am finding that they are still relatively obscure.

Your listening pleasure this week: Xeno & Oaklander, Hypnos.

Back