The N&G Listening Club V2

I haven’t dipped my toes in this thread before but had to spin Spilt Milk after realizing it was Jellyfish being discussed. Huge fan of the band, and this album is nearly perfect to me. I love how they go from a fairly rocking Joining a Fan Club to the childlike opening notes of Sabrina, Paste and Plato before launching into my favorite track New Mistake.

All of their albums seem to go for big bucks on Discogs but I highly recommend tracking this down if you can, it sounds (and looks!) amazing.
DC3AC60D-776D-4949-B0AF-8DC0F27CEB1A.jpeg
BEE423A5-8AB8-4F8C-B60E-949BE1556785.jpeg

What a great selection! I saw them only once when I was living in Florida. They opened up for Tears For Fears. November 18th, 1993.
I had a friend who was working the stage that night and I ran into him after their set. He was able to get me back stage and I met the entire band and had them sign my tour shirt, which I still have. I remember asking them all kinds of noob questions which I still find embarrassing to this day. I was gutted when they broke up, but I still love them and secretly hope they were to get back together for a few shows.
I might play this when I get home today!

giphy.gif

I haven’t dipped my toes in this thread before but had to spin Spilt Milk after realizing it was Jellyfish being discussed. Huge fan of the band, and this album is nearly perfect to me. I love how they go from a fairly rocking Joining a Fan Club to the childlike opening notes of Sabrina, Paste and Plato before launching into my favorite track New Mistake.

All of their albums seem to go for big bucks on Discogs but I highly recommend tracking this down if you can, it sounds (and looks!) amazing.
View attachment 59820
View attachment 59821

When I first started buying records again in 2011, I found that album and Bellybutton at my local Zia in 2012(both color variants) and because I have terrible buyers remorse, I didn’t want to spend $40+ for the 2 albums. So I just bought Bellybutton. Of course when I went back the following week to get the green Spilt Milk, it was gone. I was able to get the standard issue, but I can still kick myself.
The value has really shot up the few years. Even on the standard black.

When I first started buying records again in 2011, I found that album and Bellybutton at my local Zia in 2012(both color variants) and because I have terrible buyers remorse, I didn’t want to spend $40+ for the 2 albums. So I just bought Bellybutton. Of course when I went back the following week to get the green Spilt Milk, it was gone. I was able to get the standard issue, but I can still kick myself.
The value has really shot up the few years. Even on the standard black.
9A2ECE67-2CE7-4DED-BA83-3587CC5969B1.jpeg
yeah, I have stories like that with many different albums but for some reason I bought all of these on colored vinyl when they were released. Would gladly trade a couple of these for a reunion tour (which will NEVER happen!)

View attachment 59822
yeah, I have stories like that with many different albums but for some reason I bought all of these on colored vinyl when they were released. Would gladly trade a couple of these for a reunion tour (which will NEVER happen!)

I was able to get the other 2 releases pictured as well. I was more aware of Omnivore’s website after my initial blunder.
I won’t even entertain the purple copy but I have both on my want list on Discogs 😂

I was able to get the other 2 releases pictured as well. I was more aware of Omnivore’s website after my initial blunder.
I won’t even entertain the purple copy but I have both on my want list on Discogs 😂
Evidently a few months ago Omnivore found a box of Spilt Milk green vinyl (no covers) and sold them on their webstore. Maybe they'll find another box?

View attachment 59820
View attachment 59821

I'm jealous of your colored pressing. I only have the standard version of this.

View attachment 59822

Of all of these, I'm only missing Bellybutton but it's obviously expensive these days. I wasn't into vinyl at the time when it was originally reissued.

Would gladly trade a couple of these for a reunion tour (which will NEVER happen!)

Speaking of which, I can't find it now but I remember seeing Jellyfish on a list of dream Coachella reunions a few years ago, according to the founder Paul Tolllett. The whole band seems to get along except for Andy, and he also has stage fright from what I've heard.

Thanks again to @Crenshaw Blvd for reviving this thread. I have been chosen to select the pick for the Listening Club this week, and after narrowing it down from about 5-10 albums, I settled on this one from one of my favorite bands of the 90's.

View attachment 58605

Jellyfish - Spilt Milk (1993)

Jellyfish was formed in San Francisco in 1989 by Andy Sturmer and Roger Manning after the breakup of their previous band Beatnik Beatch. When their first album Bellybutton was released in 1990, the videos were all over MTV. Combining power pop and inspiration from their favorite musical acts of the 60's/70's, many of which they'd go on to cover (Badfinger, Donovan, Harry Nilsson), their sound made them stand out from other acts of the late 80's and early 90's. I remember seeing the video for "The King Is Half-Undressed" and being blown away.

The recording process for their second (and final) album Spilt Milk took so long, that they went through three second engineers, and the sessions were known in the L.A. musical community as "The Nightmare On Sunset". Unfortunately, by the time it was released in 1993, radio and MTV had moved on to grunge and hip-hop, and the singles from it received little airplay (at least in the U.S.) and the band broke up a year later.

Regardless, many consider Spilt Milk their masterpiece, although both albums are near-perfect as far as I'm concerned.

I'm excited to share this album with the forum and hear your opinions, after listening. I hope you love it as much as I do.

I had never heard of this group before and am loving Split Milk, going to have to give their discography a listen.

I think my favorite song on this album was Bye, Bye, Bye, it sounds like a carnival and everyone is just have such a happy go lucky time, hard not to fall in love with their sound.

They have a ton of influences in their sounds, I feel like I hear Queen the most in their sound, a very Mercury esque vocals

It's hard having to live up to the excellent choices of @Bohnjaggs & @ThePakoBuelna so without further ado I bring to you

莫西子诗 ~ 月光白得很

This was a tough selection for me to narrow down, there were several artists that I wanted to share but in the end 莫西子诗(Mo Xi Zi Shi)prevailed. In 2018 I had the opportunity to attend the Happy Day, Happy Life festival in Shanghai, which I was super pumped for because Hello Nico was playing and I had been dying to see them live. While Hello Nico put on a hell of a performance, it was 莫西子诗 that stole the show. We were sitting down drinking and relaxing as this band came onto stage, and from the first note I was in love. Besides his gorgeous voice, I was enamored with the amount of instruments being played on stage and how well he arranged the songs. Another thing I love about 莫西子诗 is that his lyrics are almost all in the minority dialect of the Yi ethnic group. Knowing mandarin alone will not allow you to understand all of the lyrics, and I love that he decided to highlight his ethnicity by going this route.

This album takes you on a very spiritual journey, the title of the album is 月光白得很,which translates to `the moon is very bright`. This was a fitting title because in August we celebrate the Mid Autumn festival, and my favorite tradition which we still do every August, is make pork moon cakes for the holiday。So to celebrate the mid-autumn festival and my love of moon cakes this album an excellent choice to sit back and get lost into the melodies on a nice summer day.

https://music.apple.com/us/album/月光白得很/1396423473

1) Black Kirin (Acoustic Xiao Shao) 箫韶 Xiao Shao, by BLACK KIRIN
2) 巴奈 -
3) 生祥樂隊 -
4) CQ -
5) 他方世界 -
6) Return to delicate Past - Sunlight & Moonlight

Thanks to @Crenshaw Blvd for giving me a chance to highlight some groovy tunes and for revitalizing this thread.

Hope y'all enjoy 🍻

Last edited:
Back