The N&G Listening Club V1 - Archive only

I haven’t listened yet but I will pre emptively say that I generally don’t like bands with more than say 5 or 6 instruments playing at once and especially when the extra sounds are horns. Initial reviews are favorable so I am cautiously optimistic that this can overcome my personal hurdles for it.

I haven’t listened yet but I will pre emptively say that I generally don’t like bands with more than say 5 or 6 instruments playing at once and especially when the extra sounds are horns. Initial reviews are favorable so I am cautiously optimistic that this can overcome my personal hurdles for it.
This album does not have horns. Their previous albums did, which is why this album seemed to be a departure for them. Give it a listen.

@sjaygray Cool! I feel like this response is on repeat...I've never heard this before but I'm excited to check this out. I really like the challenge of listening to the recommendation of others...and one day coming up with something to share as well. I have recently departed from VMP...partially because of their issues, but I was getting tired of being in a club where we all had the same records. I want to venture out and discover what I think to be essential and classic. So far what I have streamed at work of this sounds amazing. I'll post more later...but wanted to share "cool pick."

Playing catch up on last weeks records - brings back of a lot of the vibes of Mixmaster Morris's epic 6-8hr sets through the night at the Big Chill festival.

Been a while since I listened to this kind of thing -it was gorgeously spaced out, relaxing and textured, and the tempos shifted enough to keep it interesting - Day One Two sounded positively upbeat!

OK, Typhoon is not really my kinda thing ... which is odd as it superficially reminds me of Doves which are. (slightly Wall of Sound-y, lots of orchestration, a little dark sounding, but I think it lacks the variety - a lot of the tracks seem to have a similar tempo/feel to them)

I like the track Coverings. I’m partial to female vocals anyhow. I definitely don’t dislike this album. It has grown on me over 4 listens but I don’t think I am going to become a Typhoon convert. Something about it is taking itself too seriously or something like that, I don’t know, it feels like a goth undertone. There are parallels to several bands I do like which, to some extent, is an annoyance because I never feel a strong sense of identity. I get the feeling I would appreciate their horns persona more for having a stronger identity even if I didn’t particularly like the music itself.

This one falls strongly under the category of would happily listen if a friend put this on but would never get the album for myself.

I really like Typhoon. I find myself liking it more with each listen. There is so much rich content in this that it makes it difficult to digest in just one week. Often when I listed to music I try to find similarities in other music that I have listened to. Not everyone can relate...but I want to share my scope. To me, the lead singer sounds like Jon Foreman from Switchfoot. This isn't a bad thing at all as I really like Switchfoot. I have also called this album the an Indie Tool Album because it is so dark and goth and full but very sweet and somber...it's like Sufjan Stevens and Tool had a one night stand and this was their love-baby. There are so many lyrics on this that I want to print them out and just sit and listen to this one day and read along. I haven't had time to do that this week but I am interested enough to enjoy the story and themes presented here. I really think the listener has to be intentional with this album and approach it like they were watching a movie or enjoying a book. With that said...I can see how this emotional richness causes challenges for the average listener to engage with. I love the pick and will definitely listen to this more.

Sonofa….. I stopped getting notifications in this thread and instead I thought there was no discussion being had. I'm happy to see I'm wrong! This is a great album, @sjaygray . It's what I need right now in this point in my life. Introspection, wallow in it, sad.

Click the 'Watch' button at the top of the thread!

@Bohnjaggs has informed me I'm up next. I've already got something in mind, but I'll need to find some time to do a quick write-up. And also to catch up on the last couple of weeks and post responses.

Click the 'Watch' button at the top of the thread!

@Bohnjaggs has informed me I'm up next. I've already got something in mind, but I'll need to find some time to do a quick write-up. And also to catch up on the last couple of weeks and post responses.
I am watching this. I must have missed a notification a bit ago and so it stopped telling me new stuff was in here.

I'm excited to see what you pick!!!!!!

I'm gonna write my reactions in haiku, since my attention span is too short these days to compose anything more significant

Typhoon - Offering:

would like it better
were it not an hour-plus
kill your darlings, guys

I dig the sound and
the emotional intent
but it feels samey

that being said, it
will probably grow on me
if I give it time

Nils Frahm & F.S. Blumm - Tag Eins Tag Zwei

feels like being lost