The March 2024 Challenge Thread: There Is No Dark Side Of The Moon

March 20 - It can't be helped but there's a lot of it about.

Fiona Apple – When The Pawn Hits The Conflicts He Thinks Like A King What He Knows Throws The Blows When He Goes To The Fight And He'll Win The Whole Thing 'Fore He Enters The Ring There's No Body To Batter When Your Mind Is Your Might So When You Go Solo, You Hold Your Own Hand And Remember That Depth Is The Greatest Of Heights And If You Know Where You Stand, Then You Know Where To Land And If You Fall It Won't Matter, Cuz You'll Know That You're Right
1000002501.jpg

"The Way Things Are"

Also, there's a lot of words in that title!

March 24 - There's someone in my head but it's not me.

Eddie Vedder on the final track of Vitalogy:

"I had taped something off the TV when I was maybe 17 or something and I think it was people who had mental problems who were being let out of the hospitals early because the states were taking away funding for mental hospitals, so they were sending these folks out without the necessary care, but it was still very intriguing the way their minds worked and what they would say, and we experimented and tried to incorporate it into, what to date, is our most emotional and moving song"

Pearl Jam ~ Vitalogy

IMG_6459.jpeg

March 25 - And if the band you're in starts playing different tunes.

Mark Olson left the Jayhawks after this album out of exhaustion and to care for Victoria Williams. In my opinion while they released some good albums afterwards, their sound wasn't quite the same without the harmonies between him and Gary Louris.

The Jayhawks ~ Tomorrow The Green Grass

IMG_6465.jpeg

Day 25: And if the band you're in starts playing different tunes
The Grateful Dead - Workingman’s Dead

IMG_3146.jpeg
Prior to 1970 and the back-to-back releases of this and American Beauty, The Dead were mostly making heavy psychedelic rock. With them embracing country-rock and Americana on this pair of albums was quite a change up at the time.

Day 26: "I can't think of anything to say except..."
The Beach Boys - Pet Sounds
IMG_3145.jpeg

For a band so highly regarded for their vocal harmonies having a couple instrumental tracks on this album always seemed like a bold move.

But to complete the sentence; "I can't think of anything to say except... Don’t Talk, Put Your Head On My Shoulder”.

Back